• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If we evolved....

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
1) We didn't evolve from monkeys. We evolved from a common ancestor that is more closely related to apes, not monkeys.

2) There's no reason to use an ape valve replacement when a pig valve does the job just fine. Logistically, pigs are cultivated as a matter of course for their meat; apes are not.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Did you know we share 60% of our genes with insects

starlite

Texasgirl
1) We didn't evolve from monkeys. We evolved from a common ancestor that is more closely related to apes, not monkeys.

2) There's no reason to use an ape valve replacement when a pig valve does the job just fine. Logistically, pigs are cultivated as a matter of course for their meat; apes are not.

Excuse me...to be more politically correct...apes. My thought is...why are the pig valves compatible if as some believe...we evolved from apes. What would our connection be with pigs? Just saying....

mycorrhiza

Excuse me...to be more politically correct...apes. My thought is...why are the pig valves compatible if as some believe...we evolved from apes. What would our connection be with pigs? Just saying....

We all share a common ancestor. The bodies of pigs probably work similar enough to ours for it to be possible. It's the same reason why it's possible to use animals to test the effect of medicine on humans.

It's not about being politically correct, but about being taxonomically correct. We are apes, but we aren't monkeys. We're quite closely related to monkeys though.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If we evolved from monkeys....why is a pig valve used in a mitral valve replacement? :facepalm:
Pigs are similar enuf to humans in many ways. When I designed orthopedic surgical tools, we'd experiment with pig bones
cuz of the similarity. In this way, they are one of the most important animals. And the icing on the cake is bacon!

But if we go back far enuf in time, we will find a common ancestor for both man & pig.
Pig_man.jpg

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
We all share a common ancestor. The bodies of pigs probably work similar enough to ours for it to be possible. It's the same reason why it's possible to use animals to test the effect of medicine on humans.

It's not about being politically correct, but about being taxonomically correct. We are apes, but we aren't monkeys. We're quite closely related to monkeys though.

Yup, pretty much what I'd have said. Don't have anything worth adding to that. :D

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Have you seen the price of chimp valves lately? :rolleyes: You can get a whole pork heart at your local butcher's for a few bucks.

Our connection with pigs? You can probably google a phylogenetic tree.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Pigs are similar enuf to humans in many ways. When I designed orthopedic surgical tools, we'd experiment with pig bones
cuz of the similarity. In this way, they are one of the most important animals. And the icing on the cake is bacon!

But if we go back far enuf in time, we will find a common ancestor for both man & pig.
Pig_man.jpg
Hey, where did you get that picture of my twin brother?

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
There is a reason that many cannibalistic tribes referred to human meat as 'long pig', we are EXTREMELY similar in terms of structure and it is this structure which is important for valve replacement (even were the valve from another human there are rejection issues, managing factors which result in immune response are extremely important - but whether it is from a monkey or a pig, the degree of immune response treating the new valve as a foreign body would still be present... thus this wouldnt seem so much of a barrier when considering a source for replacement)

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity

Because we share 84% of our genes with pigs.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Biologists believe that fungi are more closely related to animals than to plants (hey, I had nothing else to contribute :shrug:).

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I would think a more pressing question is "If we evolved from monkeys....why are there still monkeys?"

:D:run:

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Biologists believe that fungi are more closely related to animals than to plants (hey, I had nothing else to contribute :shrug:).
Really? Hmmm that's fasnicating. can you link me to a study? I have read some interesting stuff on co-evolution of fungus and plants.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Price and politics, Student.
Killing a monkey or ape large enough to have a usable valve solely for that valve would cause a huge public brouhaha, with lawsuits, injunctions, &c.
And, as if the legal fees weren't prohibitive enough, where would you get a donor chimp? If found, how much would it cost?

As I said before. Pig valves are serviceable, if not ideal, readily available and cost almost nothing.