• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If there is no creator

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Lets say the Atheists view are correct and there was no creator who put everything in motion.
My question would be, what was it that kickstarted the existance? Big bang? yes maybe, but what kickstarted the big bang?
If not Big bang what then?

I donot have an answer to it my self if i try to see it from an atheists POW. But they can ofcourse be correct just like religion can be correct.

Earthling

David Henson
Lets say the Atheists view are correct and there was no creator who put everything in motion.
My question would be, what was it that kickstarted the existance? Big bang? yes maybe, but what kickstarted the big bang?

I donot have an answer to it my self if i try to see it from an atheists POW. But they can ofcourse be correct just like religion can be correct.

Well, the thing is, science can't test the supernatural, so, really, there is no scientific basis for determining that there is no Creator because that creator wouldn't be a part of the testable nature. As of right now science has no explanation for how life originated.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Some people will say it's semantics, but in many eastern faiths, a word that better illustrates the view is emanation. Does the sun 'create' light? So it's not-two.

Could you elaborate on the concept of "emanation", please? I don't think I've got it yet.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
For a polytheist and pantheist such as myself, the notion of a transcendent creator makes little sense as the Cosmos is the sum of all that exists. In my beliefs, the Cosmos forms and sustains itself. Even the Gods were born within it, as all things are.

I like your answer.
But has the universe/cosmos always been there, or has it a start?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Energy.

Pretty much everything created within themselves in relation to other things.

The term and meaning of the word creator assumes there is something already existing before the creation. Life doesn't work that way. Things "come into" existence in relationship to things before and by it.

Whether this noun has feelings, cultures, denominations, statues etc are all from us humans trying to make sense of the world which constantly comes into and out of existence. The challenge for many is to understand the nature of if something is creates into existence there are others that decay out of existence.

Since being comfortable with the concept of creation is better, talking about the concept of going out of is avoided in many cultures (not just western). Those that view life in a cycle don't see the difference between the two. So, in my opinion, there is no creator. Just creation, if you like, coming into and out of existence within itself.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Could you elaborate on the concept of "emanation", please? I don't think I've got it yet.

Extension, maybe. Do clouds make rain? The water is always there, it just changes its form. Suppose a potter takes a piece of clay, and uses a wheel to make a pot. I might forget the terms, but there is material cause (clay) instrumental cause (wheel) and efficient cause (not sure if that's the right word, maybe separate is better) the potter. In eastern views God is the clay, perhaps wheel. In Abrahamic views, God is only the potter.

I'll link you to the longer detailed explanation if I can find it.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
If we claim that everything must have a cause, how do we know that claim is true?

I can not know100% because then it would not be a belief anymore, this is why i ask the question in the first place. If my own view is wrong and there is no creator, what was the staring force of the cosmos? or has it always been there?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I can not know100% because then it would not be a belief anymore, this is why i ask the question in the first place. If my own view is wrong and there is no creator, what was the staring force of the cosmos? or has it always been there?

Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems you are assuming the start of the universe must have been caused - or either the universe must have existed forever. But for us to say it must have been caused we must be able to say we know for a fact that all things must have causes. Do we actually know that?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems you are assuming the start of the universe must have been caused - or either the universe must have existed forever. But for us to say it must have been caused we must be able to say we know for a fact that all things must have causes. Do we actually know that?

Seen from a scientific POW No.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Extension, maybe. Do clouds make rain? The water is always there, it just changes its form. Suppose a potter takes a piece of clay, and uses a wheel to make a pot. I might forget the terms, but there is material cause (clay) instrumental cause (wheel) and efficient cause (not sure if that's the right word, maybe separate is better) the potter. In eastern views God is the clay, perhaps wheel. In Abrahamic views, God is only the potter.

I'll link you to the longer detailed explanation if I can find it.

Thanks! That's very interesting!

Altfish

Veteran Member
My question would be, what was it that kick-started the existence? Big bang? yes maybe, but what kick-started the big bang?

I do not have an answer to it my self if i try to see it from an atheists POW. But they can of course be correct just like religion can be correct.
I'll give the correct scientific answer: - We don't know!

Isn't that great? We have something to investigate, research - brilliant.
Scientists don't invent answers, they are happy to admit when we don't know.