• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If there is a hell, what percentage of humans should go there?

If there is a hell, what percentage of humans should go there?

• 99%

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • 98%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 97%

• 96%

• 95%

• Other

Votes: 21 77.8%

• Total voters

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
I don't know.

The forbidden fruit is commonly thought of as an apple, but the Bible never actually says what fruit it was. Regardless, the effects of Eve and Adam eating it were fatal.

Forbidden Fruit — Compassion International

That is correct--the Bible never says what fruit is was, so to call it an apple is certainly not what the Bible said. You already said, howver, didn't you? that the account was not literal but allegorical, or something like that. So what's the story here by you with Adam and Eve and death, etc. ?

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
Atheists and anti-theists might experience spiritual happiness in this life, but they will not achieve their higher purpose, which is to know and love God.
That means that when they get to the afterlife they will be up the creek without a paddle, because they won't have what they need to get up the river.
Would you say that everybody gets past that hurdle though? I mean, the average person lives for what, 70-80 years, but the afterlife is forever after that. Are you Universalist as a Baha’i or do you believe some really bad people are eternally doomed to suffer in Hell forever?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
That is correct--the Bible never says what fruit is was, so to call it an apple is certainly not what the Bible said. You already said, howver, didn't you? that the account was not literal but allegorical, or something like that. So what's the story here by you with Adam and Eve and death, etc. ?
This is one of the allegorical meanings of the biblical story of Adam and Eve.

30: ADAM AND EVE

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Would you say that everybody gets past that hurdle though? I mean, the average person lives for what, 70-80 years, but the afterlife is forever after that. Are you Universalist as a Baha’i or do you believe some really bad people are eternally doomed to suffer in Hell forever?
No, I don't believe that everyone gets past that hurdle, but I think that God takes into consideration all the things people had sto struggle with in this life, because God is the All-Merciful and All-Forgiving.

I don't know if some people are eternally doomed to suffer in Hell forever.
Somewhere in the Baha'i Writings it might say that there is always a chance to get out of Hell, but I cannot recall where that is written.
My good friend @Truthseeker would probably know where it is in the Writings since he knows the Writings backwards and forwards.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Why would it be God's fault that people choose to commit crimes.
Because God created those people who make such choices. Why doesn't God only make good people so there are no murders or raes, among otehr crimes? Now before you insist these would be robots isn't it true that you don't commit murder and have free will? If so, then my point is why aren't all people similar to you who have free will but don't commit murder?

A more likley solution is that we humans evolved in a universe that isn't guided by any God.
God also created a universe where people choose to do good things. Do you ever give God credit for those good things?
Why would we? The bare minimum job requirement of God is to make good decisions in how it creatres the universe. That God creates people who decide to commit murder and rape is on God (assuming the usual assumptions and interpretations of believers).
If believers are correct in trusting the Bible and the Baha'i Writings then they would know that God gave man free will to choose so God is accountable for what people choose.
Your argumentation is naive and overly simplistic, as if all humans are the same, have the same opportunities in life, have stable emotions and life stories, and it all comes down to making basic yes/no choices. You ignore the many factors that lead individuals to behave well or badly in life. Free will is often used by believers, but who cares? It doesn't mean foolish and immature. If a God exists as believers assume the question is why God made so many humans so flawed they never have a chance to make better decisions in life. An old friend of mine killed himself last week despite having three kids and a successful business. He struggled with depression his whole life, and had alcoholism that he worked hard to manage. His wife divorced him about a year ago, but he was not talking about his feelings. We are all stunned. Did he choose depression? Sometimes people break.
God does not want murderers and rapists, people choose to be murderers and rapists.
Then God should have made more people like you. If it is all reduced to just how a person makes decisions then God could make more sensible people. About 1 in 24 people are born sociopaths, and they lack certain abilities to be empathetic. That's on God, not a chocie. They simply don't know any better.
God does not have to create humans with a consistently high moral sense.
Why not? If God doesn't want negative effects of murder and rape why isn't he creating peoplke capable of good choices? You want it both ways.
Humans are obligated to develop their own moral sense. That is one reason we have to go through this life.
No they aren't, as people will learn what is socially acceptable and make choices based on what their society says is moral. Had Hitler not invaded Russia it is likely the Nazis would have remained in power indefinately and more Jews exterminated. Why did so many in Europe choose to be anti-Semitic with Jews being God's chosen?
Why would it matter if other believers agree with me? The truth is the truth whether people believe it or not.
Because truth conforms to facts, and if you believers can't agree, which you don;t, then how can any of you claim truth and be taken seriously? Scientists follow facts and use the scientific method, so what they report is highly credible, and consistent among all scientists. This is why evolution is accepted, and creationism is baseless, and of course religious.
There is none that you can see, but that does not mean there is none.
Why would a rarional person assume something exists when it can't be verified? So I will wait, and until then I'm not convinced.
It is not a game if win or lose for me. I just respond to what is posted to me.
I think you underestimate the level of game you like playing.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Unfotunately, what you're saying doesn't make sense. Either we die because of Adam, or we do not die because of (a literal) Adam. Have a good night.
We die because our bodies were created by God to be mortal. We do not die becaue Adam ate a piece of fruit from a tree.

YoursTrue

We die because our bodies were created by God to be mortal. We do not die becaue Adam ate a piece of fruit from a tree.
The description of Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead is in John 11 & 12. I suggest you might want to read that to realize that the Bible says Lazarus (1) came back from the dead, and (2) he lived on the earth before and after his resurrection by Jesus Christ.So again, John chapters 11 & 12. We can go into the other subject about Adam and death inherited later perhaps. But first let me know what you think of John 11 and 12. G'night.

YoursTrue

I read the chapters but I do not see what you claimed it says.
You don't? Perhaps you're not looking at it correctly. Who came back from the dead? Was Lazarus dead? Did he come out of the tomb? John 12 shows that the resurrected Lazarus was with Jesus. Just a little bit from John 12, Trailblazer -- "Six days before the Passover, Jesus came to Bethany, where Lazarus lived, whom Jesus had raised from the dead. 2Here a dinner was given in Jesus’ honor. Martha served, while Lazarus was among those reclining at the table with him." Hope that helps.

Bird123

Why would God create a system where the bulk of His children fry for eternity? Clearly, anyone with any intelligence at all would come up with much better odds. It's proof that Hell is a creation of religion and mankind. Hell has nothing to do with God. That's what I see. It's very clear!!!

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Because God created those people who make such choices. Why doesn't God only make good people so there are no murders or raes, among otehr crimes? Now before you insist these would be robots isn't it true that you don't commit murder and have free will? If so, then my point is why aren't all people similar to you who have free will but don't commit murder?
I have free will and I don't commit murder because I choose not to commit murder.
Murderers have free will and commit murder because they choose to commit murder.
Why would we? The bare minimum job requirement of God is to make good decisions in how it creatres the universe. That God creates people who decide to commit murder and rape is on God (assuming the usual assumptions and interpretations of believers).
God did make good decisions in how He created the universe but after that God was out of the game. God bears no responsibly for how humans choose to maintain the world he created. God did not create people who decide to commit murder and rape. People choose to commit murder and rape and then they commit murder and rape. The decision to commit murder and rape was not God's decision, and that is why God never goes on trial. in a court of law, nobody blames God for murder and rape, not even atheists, becaue they know better. Only atheists on forums blame God for murder and rape.
Your argumentation is naive and overly simplistic, as if all humans are the same, have the same opportunities in life, have stable emotions and life stories, and it all comes down to making basic yes/no choices. You ignore the many factors that lead individuals to behave well or badly in life.
I do not ignore those factors and neither does God. God will take into consideration why people behaved badly, such as if it was owing to life situations over which they had no control like bad genetics or a difficult childhood.
If a God exists as believers assume the question is why God made so many humans so flawed they never have a chance to make better decisions in life. An old friend of mine killed himself last week despite having three kids and a successful business. He struggled with depression his whole life, and had alcoholism that he worked hard to manage. His wife divorced him about a year ago, but he was not talking about his feelings. We are all stunned. Did he choose depression? Sometimes people break.
God did not make humans flawed such that they never have a chance to make better decisions in life. It is the life situations they find themselves in that determines what decisions they will make, mostly affected by their childhood upbringing, but also affected by their adult experiences which are sometimes tragic. I would be dead by now if I did not believe in God because I have been suicidal many times.

Nobody chooses depression but God is not to blame. What good does it do to blame God for what God did not cause? I used to blame God for all my suffering but my life was miserable back then. Only when I stopped blaming God and started figuring out what was really wrong did things start to turn around for me.
Then God should have made more people like you. If it is all reduced to just how a person makes decisions then God could make more sensible people. About 1 in 24 people are born sociopaths, and they lack certain abilities to be empathetic. That's on God, not a chocie. They simply don't know any better.
God does not make sensible people or foolish people. People become that way by how they live life.
God did not make me the way I am, I lived my life and became who I am today.
Even if people are born sociopaths they are still convicted in courts of law if the court determines they know right from wrong.
Why not? If God doesn't want negative effects of murder and rape why isn't he creating peoplke capable of good choices? You want it both ways.
God created people capable of making good choices but some people choose to make bad choices.
Why would a rarional person assume something exists when it can't be verified? So I will wait, and until then I'm not convinced.
If you are referring to God, a rational person would know that God can never be verified, so they can choose to believe on faith, or not believe at all.
I think you underestimate the level of game you like playing.
It is not a game for me. Sometimes I like it but more often I only do it because I feel it is my responsibility.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
You don't? Perhaps you're not looking at it correctly. Who came back from the dead? Was Lazarus dead? Did he come out of the tomb? John 12 shows that the resurrected Lazarus was with Jesus. Just a little bit from John 12, Trailblazer -- "Six days before the Passover, Jesus came to Bethany, where Lazarus lived, whom Jesus had raised from the dead. 2Here a dinner was given in Jesus’ honor. Martha served, while Lazarus was among those reclining at the table with him." Hope that helps.
It really does not matter to me what it says because I consider it a fictional story just like many other stories in the Bible.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
No, I don't believe that everyone gets past that hurdle, but I think that God takes into consideration all the things people had sto struggle with in this life, because God is the All-Merciful and All-Forgiving.

I don't know if some people are eternally doomed to suffer in Hell forever.
Somewhere in the Baha'i Writings it might say that there is always a chance to get out of Hell, but I cannot recall where that is written.
My good friend @Truthseeker would probably know where it is in the Writings since he knows the Writings backwards and forwards.
I don't think there is a place in Baha'i Writings where there is always a chance to get out of hell. There are some who apparently can't get out.

Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit
1 QUESTION: “AND WHOSOEVER speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.”99
2 Answer: The sanctified realities of the Manifestations of God have two spiritual stations: One is that of the state of divine manifestation, which can be compared to the orb of the sun, and the other is that of radiance and revelation, which may be likened to the divine light and perfections—the Holy Spirit. For the Holy Spirit is the manifold grace and perfections of God, and these divine perfections are even as the rays and heat of the sun. Now, the sun is the sun by virtue of its effulgent rays; without these rays it would not be the sun. If the perfections of God were not revealed and manifested in Jesus, He would not be Christ. He is a Manifestation of God precisely because the divine perfections are revealed in Him. The Prophets of God are Manifestations, and the divine perfections—that is, the Holy Spirit—are that which is manifested in Them.
3 If a soul distances himself from the Manifestation, he may yet be awakened, for he may have failed to know Him and to recognize Him as the Embodiment of the divine perfections. But if he loathes the divine perfections themselves, which are the Holy Spirit, this shows that, bat-like, he is a hater of the light.
4 This hatred of the light itself is irremediable and unforgivable; that is, it is impossible for such a soul to draw near to God. This lamp here is a lamp because of its light; without the light it would not be a lamp. A soul that abhors the light of the lamp is, as it were, blind and cannot perceive the light, and this blindness is the cause of eternal deprivation.
5 It is evident that souls receive grace from the outpourings of the Holy Spirit which are apparent in the Manifestations of God, and not from the individual personality of the Manifestation. It follows that if a soul fails to partake of the outpourings of the Holy Spirit, it remains deprived of God’s grace, and this deprivation itself is equivalent to the denial of divine forgiveness.
6 That is why there have been many souls who opposed the Manifestations of God, not realizing that They were Manifestations, but who became Their friends once they had recognized Them. Thus, enmity towards the Manifestation of God was not the cause of eternal deprivation, for they were enemies of the candleholder and knew not that it was the seat of God’s effulgent light. They were not the enemies of the light itself, and once they understood that the candleholder was the seat of the light, they became true friends.
7 Our meaning is that remoteness from the candleholder is not the cause of eternal deprivation, for one may yet be awakened and guided aright, but that enmity towards the light itself is the cause of eternal deprivation and has no remedy.
(Some Answered Questions)
www.bahai.org/r/005484589

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
4 This hatred of the light itself is irremediable and unforgivable; that is, it is impossible for such a soul to draw near to God. This lamp here is a lamp because of its light; without the light it would not be a lamp. A soul that abhors the light of the lamp is, as it were, blind and cannot perceive the light, and this blindness is the cause of eternal deprivation.
So does that mean that people who abhor God might go to hell and be there forever?

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why would a benevolent God do that?
Courts of law do not pat murderers and rapist on the head and cure them of their vices, so why should God do that?
The fact that God could do that because He is omnipotent is completely irrelevant. Why should He?
Courts of law didn't give you your genes, your parents, your experiences as you grew up. They didn't give you a low IQ or a short attention span or a reading disorder or a low ability to postpone gratification, or parents on drugs, or infant traumas, &c &c.

But God perfectly foresaw clearly what was going to happen if [he] let things proceed as they did, and [he] knows that now the subject's dead, the joke is over and everyone can get on with being decent, respectful and inclusive.