• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If the universe were a person...

Baydwin

... what would they be like, personality wise I mean.

For a start, can we agree they'd be completely amoral?

Just_me_Mike

It would be like all life combined, into one big self examining heap of splender.

Then it would create me, and be awed by my greatness :D

dust1n

Zindīq
By what standard are we not part of the universe?

Good point. However we regard natural E. Coli in our systems as part of us.

Than again.. we can't be strictly parasites, because we gain from existence (I guess) which is only possible thanks to the universe.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Can't define a personality of the universe. To much involved.

But based on what we know it would definitely be moral. Everything in the universe follows sets of rules. Rules are morals they may not be morals that you support but they would be morals.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member

This immediately reminded me of "The Wind in the Door" by Madeleine L'Engle. Meg and Co. have to go into her sick brother's mitochondria to convince the farandola-- sentient beings-- to mature. The farandola really have no concept of "Charles Wallace"-- their universe. I would imagine we would be in a similar predictament if our universe was in fact a person. Nothing about our surroundings would really tell us about the personality of our person.

Why should our person be amoral? Are we amoral because our stomach acid sometimes destroys a bacterium that finds itself in there?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

If the universe was a person they'd be very confused seeing that there would be gigantic sections of itself that would have no communication between each other because of the limit of the speed of light. It would be like your left hand and right foot never being able to communicate with each other, or, in fact, never even knowing that the other existed.

I suppose this would translate personality-wise that the universe would have to really be a society of personalities, most of whom don't even know the others exist.

Eliot Wild

Irreverent Agnostic Jerk
If the Universe were a person, it would be in need of a strict diet . . . as it is expanding at the rate of about 70 km per second, according to the Hubble Constant.

As for its personality, I would guess the Universe to be a bit hard to get along with, sort of bi-polar. Sometimes it is warm, inviting and comfortable, and other times it is harsh, noxious and downright cruel. As far as humans like ourselves are concerned, the Universe is pretty much uninviting and uninhabitable at most times. As a matter of fact, our little bitty corner of the Universe called "Earth" is really the only part of the Universe where humans can live without assistance of hardware, at least that we've found so far.

But ultimately, the Universe is like an old, fat, irritable grandmother who likes to rattle on and on, sometimes telling stories of awesome wonder and other times just blathering about uninteresting crap . . . Either way, each and everyone of us should appreciate and respect her for the obvious fact that we would not be here today were it not for her.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
If the Universe were a person, it would be in need of a strict diet . . . as it is expanding at the rate of about 70 km per second, according to the Hubble Constant.
Maybe it's an infant person. They grow a lot.