• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If the Covid threat deniers had their way...

Wandering Monk

So, for those who advocate just letting this virus rip and achieving herd immunity naturally, consider this:

Herd immunity can be achieved by exposing 60 to 80% of the population to the virus. Assuming that the 60% number will do it, let's have a look at the math.

America's population today is about 331 million. Sixty percent of that is 198 million.

If we take the mantra that this is no worse than a bad flu year, with a case mortality of 0.16% (2017-2018), that means 322,000 Americans will die from this virus.

Not exactly like a bad flu year is it. The worst flu season in the last 20 years (2017-2018) killed about 79,000 Americans.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
"Fake news!" *h'yuk*
Too bad things like proofs and theorems are meaningless to the Trumpeters. Basic, elementary math destroys the "little flu" bs. "But [x reason for the economy], [y reason based on bad information about covid and because [insert random **** about Hillary or Obama], so we have to reopen because now the poor and mental health all of sudden matter and it's not just all in the head and get over it but it's all sensitive stuff and **** those bootstraps."

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
People die. You didn't care about it before covid, why now? :D

We're actually "low on deaths" per CDC and annual reports.

Facts don't matter, but might want a diaper to go along with your masks. :D
True, facts don't matter to fact deniers like those who refuse to take the pandemic seriously. They are terrorists who spread fear and death not with the gun but with the virus.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
They are terrorists who spread fear and death not with the gun but with the virus.
They are worse: They have betrayed their country and endangered their neighbors, their fellow countrymen. Those who adhere to Red, White, (and isn't a color) Blue True Patriots, who scream it and display it the most, they are making us sick, they are killing us, and they are demanding we all die for their god.
(though I have to admit, if I still lived in Indiana I doubt I'd wear a mask because I don't know if I would have necessarily cared if I made people there sick (asides from my mom), but people here are so much better and I feel it more as doing my part to help take care of my home. It's also a fun way to blaspheme that other god they talk about. :D).

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
So, for those who advocate just letting this virus rip and achieving herd immunity naturally, consider this:

Herd immunity can be achieved by exposing 60 to 80% of the population to the virus. Assuming that the 60% number will do it, let's have a look at the math.

America's population today is about 331 million. Sixty percent of that is 198 million.

If we take the mantra that this is no worse than a bad flu year, with a case mortality of 0.16% (2017-2018), that means 322,000 Americans will die from this virus.

Not exactly like a bad flu year is it. The worst flu season in the last 20 years (2017-2018) killed about 79,000 Americans.

Well, sooner or later you will get herd immunity, if the virus does not magically disappear. Unless we are ready to lockdown the world for a possibly unbounded amount of time.

Ciao

- viole

exchemist

Veteran Member

Indeed. That's because, unlike with flu, nobody has any pre-existing immunity so everybody catches it...until we get to herd immunity.