• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If someone set a basket of kittens on fire...

:

• Total voters

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
IMO things happen BUT we are not aware why things happen, as we don't remember "previous lives" ... still justice etc.

But if you don't believe in previous lives, Dharma, Karma then of course you have a different opinion on that. That's fine with me too:D
How does it serve as comeuppance or a deterrence if you don't know why you're being punished or that you're even being punished? There is no lesson learned or justice served from that.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
How does it serve as comeuppance or a deterrence if you don't know why you're being punished or that you're even being punished? There is no lesson learned or justice served from that.
If someone believes in reincarnation then when something bad happens, he might think 'okay, this is my karma', and this belief makes it easier for him to accept this. Of course, he who believes in karma will do his utmost best to overcome "today karma" by immense self effort. And it is not so important to know if the reward is an apple or a banana. We all have a conscience, so we know how to act good. That is enough to know IMO.

So, it all comes down to what you believe. I don't claim that reincarnation is true or even exists or that I believe in it. But, I do understand people who believe in reincarnation. For them this works and they are happy with it; isn't that great? If they are happy with it, then I am happy too.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Wow. What a load of ignorance.
Exactly what am I ignorant of here?

It's ok to kill multiple innocent creatures, because it may hurt one person with whom you disagree?
"Hurt"?? Hell, I'm talking about setting the basket of kittens on fire to get rid of the guy permanently. And if the god of Abraham---"No one is good-except god alone"----- can kill innocent creatures at his pleasure;

Exodus 12:29
29 And it came to pass, that at midnight the Lord smote all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, from the firstborn of Pharaoh that sat on his throne unto the firstborn of the captive that was in the dungeon; and all the firstborn of cattle.​

why can't humans?

And believe me, it isn't only because I disagree with him. It's also for what he does to our country, its people, and people throughout the world. He's an incompetent, lying, buffoon with the mental age of a ten-year-old who's only objective is looking out for #1.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
The poll alludes to those who toss their moral compass aside when it comes to political allegiance, so I'll leave it to you to discover the depth.

That really is embarrassingly shallow.

How about trying this?
Who gave you the more erudite and nuanced responses? What do those people have in common?

Is it Trump supporters? C'mon, you can do better than that.
Tom

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

"Hurt"?? Hell, I'm talking about setting the basket of kittens on fire to get rid of the guy permanently. And if the god of Abraham---"No one is good-except god alone"----- can kill innocent creatures at his pleasure;

29 And it came to pass, that at midnight the Lord smote all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, from the firstborn of Pharaoh that sat on his throne unto the firstborn of the captive that was in the dungeon; and all the firstborn of cattle.​

why can't humans?

And believe me, it isn't only because I disagree with him. It's also for what he does to our country, its people, and people throughout the world. He's an incompetent, lying, buffoon with the mental age of a ten-year-old who's only objective is looking out for #1.

I loathe the man, but I'd never lower myself to torture animals if it magically got rid of him.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
That really is embarrassingly shallow.

How about trying this?
Who gave you the more erudite and nuanced responses? What do those people have in common?

Is it Trump supporters? C'mon, you can do better than that.
Tom
I'm sorry that you've found my silly, tongue-in-cheek poll to be so distressing.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

why can't humans?

Cut the crap. I don't agree with our POTUS as much as the next person. But the ends justifies the means is a morally ignorant viewpoint, regardless of ones religious leanings. Who cares what some 2000 year old book says btw?

You don't like the president, then we have an election coming up. You wanna set fire to kittens or allow someone else to in order to remove the president, you should probably see someone about that.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think we get it. I think some of us were just somehow... expecting a deeper meaning. Lol.
I expected it to be about you-know-who.
(I wondered "What's he done now?".)
It seems so, but I suspect trickery.
Btw, I don't burn kittens.
(I have however done the euthanization thing.
Quick, painless, & stress free it must be.)

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
...would that make them a bad person?

It depends on why. To save a busload of people, don't know exactly that scenario would work out, I'd probably let the busload of people die myself, but I could understand someone who might decide to burn the kittens instead.

If they were doing it just because they found it entertaining then I'd think they were mentally ill. Not "bad" but having some pretty dramatic mental issues to deal with.

I've never sat kittens on fire. Does that make me a good person? I've done some bad things. More out of curiosity and lack of understanding the consequences, when I was younger. Is there an age cutoff? Below a certain age do kids get a pass for setting kittens on fire, or once they've done it or are they ****'d for life?

I heard of folks tossing kittens in a bag in the river. Does the means of death matter or is it just the burning of kittens? What if they eat the kitten afterwards, for food. Family is going hungry and there's this basket sitting there full of nice juicy fat kittens. How about a basket full of chickens? Not that I'd burn a basket full of chickens either, I don't even eat chickens. Some people feel you are bad if you eat chickens.

Just trying to understand where this line of badness gets drawn.