• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If slavery was legal today

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
If slavery was legal today…

How much would it cost to buy another human being?

What type of price would we be looking at?

I have no idea but doubt i could afford one :(

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Why the frown? You want a slave?
I'd like to be able to afford one

If someone gave me a slave as a birthday present I'd free them, but only after I'd got some work out of them, as to just free them would be an insult to the person who gave me them

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

And if the price were in turn becoming a slave and being treated as you treated your slave, what then?

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
If you treat me well, I'm yours for life, but I'm worth way more than 30 silver pieces. 24 years young, relatively pretty, untouched, doesn't eat much, doesn't need much and is very religious. Has a bizarre violent streak, enjoys punishment, but won't open the door to strangers or eat food with your name on it.

Laika

Premium Member

If someone gave me a slave as a birthday present I'd free them, but only after I'd got some work out of them, as to just free them would be an insult to the person who gave me them

Well, nobody likes doing the dishes. You could always get them to do that and then set them free? ;)

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Just some info...

Slavery Today « Free the Slaves

New slavery has two chief characteristics—it’s cheap and it’s disposable. Slaves today are cheaper than ever. In 1850, an average slave in the American South cost the equivalent of $40,000 in today’s money. Today a slave costs about $90 on average worldwide. (Source: Disposable People: New Slavery in the Global Economy. See all Free the Slaves books.)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Slavers deserve much worse than to be insulted.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

Ask football players :) they get bought and sold all the time. 2019 form of slavery

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

The law of supply and demand. If slaves were plentiful, then I suspect they'd come pretty cheap.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn

How do you compare a 19th century dollar in This Christian Nation to a 21st century dollar?
You can't.

But anybody who buys most foreign made goods are buying things that are made for wages that American people won't work for. That's why American corporations shift production off shore.
From Nike to Apple to GE to Trump, it's more profitable to outsource manufacturing to poor people and sell to Wal-Mart shoppers, because they're Christians and don't care how the products were made so cheaply. They just look at the price tag.
You can.
Just go to Wal-Mart.

Tom

julianalexander745

I think it would depend upon the quality of the person and what the slaver is looking for in a slave.

I would imagine that auctions would be the best method of ensuring that the free market work its magic.

This stuff still happens in the Middle East doesn't it?

julianalexander745

Heavyweight boxing and the NFL have strong parallels to what used to entertain white folks in the 1800s.

I heard someone at a bar once say that the spoils of slavery never ended - it's just that the capitalism surrounding it was modernized and maneuvered in such a way that it continues with compensation for voluntary participation in the spoils of it.

The aforementioned NCAA is a great example.