• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If science can't explain it,,,,

If science can't explain it, does it mean it isn't real, didn't happen, or isn't possible?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 42 100.0%

• Total voters

Heyo

Veteran Member
So if it isnt physical or science do not have tools to mesure it, it cant be real?
Only when science can measure it, it becomes real?
Exactly. But something not being real doesn't make it non existent. There are, e. g., constructs that are not measurable and only exist because we agree they do, like national borders.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Exactly. But something not being real doesn't make it non existent. There are, e. g., constructs that are not measurable and only exist because we agree they do, like national borders.
So why does this not acount for existence of a God too then?

Why the selective issues?

RestlessSoul

I have another question; if science can explain it, does that mean it is real? Or only that science, a human construct, can offer an explanation - which may or may not be true - to the human mind?

Heyo

Veteran Member
So why does this not acount for existence of a God too then?

Why the selective issues?
Do you think god is a construct? If so, and if enough people agree with you upon the properties of the god, then it exists.
Do you think god is real? If so, we should be able to measure it.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Do you think god is a construct? If so, and if enough people agree with you upon the properties of the god, then it exists.
Do you think god is real? If so, we should be able to measure it.
I believe God is a being far above humans understanding, and no i do not think science will be able to messure the true essence of God.
What sciences can do is to messure Gods creation in this universe.

Heyo

Veteran Member
So only the physical universe exists?
Only the physical universe is real. I explained how non real entities can exist.
You can not see me, since i am on a different place than you.
Am I real or non existent?
I see your responses, they are measurable. So "you" as the author of the responses are real. I don't make any assumption about you being a human or a computer, though.

(J.k., I do assume, based on past experiences, you are human.)

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Be it a god, a miracle, magic, something physically seen or
physically experienced, or a personal experience....

If science can't explain it, does it mean it isn't real, didn't happen, or isn't possible?

The vote is anonymous, so vote honest :)
Do you mean:
a)Something Science has not been able to explain it as of now.
b)Something that Science, in principle, can never explain it.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Only the physical universe is real. I explained how non real entities can exist.

I see your responses, they are measurable. So "you" as the author of the responses are real. I don't make any assumption about you being a human or a computer, though.

(J.k., I do assume, based on past experiences, you are human.)
So you holding a belief in that I am a human...
Why is not that strange to you, but a belief in a God is strange?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Brian2

Veteran Member
You misunderstand.
200-years ago science didn't understand evolution.
100-years ago we didn't know about the big bang
Continental drift is a relatively new thing

Science is all about finding out things we don't understand.

What you say is easy to understand and I think "We Never Know" can understand it.
What you may not understand is that if science cannot explain it yet, it means science cannot explain it, there is no scientific explanation. If you want to add "now" to the end of the sentence and suppose that science will be able to explain it sometime then that is a belief in a particular world view which says that all things are explainable by science. iows the supernatural does not exist.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

Mathematics is the mother of Science. Right?
Is it real, please?

Regards

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

It depends on what you mean explain.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member

Science couldn’t explain gravity for a long time. Was gravity non existent during such ages?

There are literal entire fields of science that deal with theoretical concepts.
Like theoretical physics I’m pretty sure is a thing.
I’m no where near smart enough to know what that entails. But “theoretical” seems like it’s not all “tangible things” that are studied, so to speak

If science could explain every iota of human existence, of reality, of theoretical reality even, I don’t think it would be studied anymore as a whole. That there is more to understand is fundamental to why we carry out scientific study in the first place.

Last edited: