• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If religion is a placebo...

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
... what is the real medicine?

What do you think?

The true medicine, in my opinion, is learning to stand on your own and care for yourself without overly relying on religious beliefs or a deity to heal you physically or emotionally or to protect and save you from harm. In my opinion, the sooner you learn this, the better your mental health and emotional well-being will be, as will your life once you learn to take care of yourself. It proved true for me, so I believe that it can be possible for others once they free themselves from the indoctrination they have been subjected to in their lives.

F1fan

Veteran Member
... what is the real medicine?

What do you think?
It's like being born addicts. Many believers are born with anxiety and a need, and the prevalence of religion will hepl form religious habits. They will need a constant supply of a religious fix to soothe the natural anxiety that our evolution allowed. It doesn't matter that they can stand next to an atheist who suffers from no such anxiety and need, the religious have a non-rational problem and a non-rational solution. Only if they have a serious negative experience with religion will they lose interest.

It's like trying to get a feral cat to trust you, no amount of work will earn it. Meanwhile you have several cats that won't leave you alone because they they love to cuddle with their humans. Reason will not work on either.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Sorry, you're right. My OP was sparse.

I meant that religion can fill the existential void, heal the existential crisis...

That sounds like an awfully big ailment to cure...

Perhaps religion can help. Or, maybe a good book. Delicious soup. Walking a dog. Feeding the birds.

I don't think there's a one sized fits all answer here. Perhaps religion helps some; it doesn't help others. Perhaps an ambitious career helps some; bogs down others.

Humans are vastly diverse. I imagine their remedies are, too.

PearlSeeker

That sounds like an awfully big ailment to cure...

Perhaps religion can help. Or, maybe a good book. Delicious soup. Walking a dog. Feeding the birds.

I don't think there's a one sized fits all answer here. Perhaps religion helps some; it doesn't help others. Perhaps an ambitious career helps some; bogs down others.

Humans are vastly diverse. I imagine their remedies are, too.
This reminds me of the famous Bible verse:

"So I commended the enjoyment of life, because there is nothing better for a man under the sun than to eat and drink and be merry. For this joy will accompany him in his labor during the days of his life that God gives him under the sun." (Ecc 8:15)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Placebos can help not because of their own nature but because of what happens when one takes it with belief. I'd be a bit more generous and say that religion can help or hinder some people at some times. If the religion inspires people to be more loving, that's wonderful.

Kabir:

IF GOD BE within the mosque, then to whom does this world belong?
If Ram be within the image which you find upon your pilgrimage, then who is there to know what happens without?
Hari is in the East: Allah is in the West.
Look within your heart, for there you will find both Karim and Ram;
All the men and women of the world are His living forms.
Kabir is the child of Allah and of Ram: He is my Guru, He is my Pir.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
As I know it sure can help. As long as you believe it to be true. After you have no reason to believe (you realize it was a placebo) it doesn't work anymore.
That's an interesting thought. If the placebo effect is real, which it is, and if it works, which it does, then perhaps we can harness that without having to drink the bathwater of religion that the baby of faith (the placebo effect) finds itself in? Maybe we can redeem God from religion?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
As I know it sure can help. As long as you believe it to be true. After you have no reason to believe (you realize it was a placebo) it doesn't work anymore.

Then I would say belief is the placebo, then, not religion.

A person's religion can be free of beliefs, or place little emphasis on them. But a person can have nonreligious beliefs, and be crippled when they realize they're not true.

"People are generally good."

"Working hard will always bring reward."

"My parents will always look out for me."

These are some non religious beliefs a person can hold, perhaps as a placebo, to help them get through life, all which have the potential to shatter a person should they find them untrue.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Since religion is real medicine but we're calling it not real medicine, I guess that means all the not real medicine would be the real medicine?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Maybe we can redeem God from religion?

“Aren’t all religions equally true? No, all religions are equally false. The relationship of religion to truth is like that of a menu to a meal. The menu describes the meal as best it can. It points to something beyond itself. As long as we use the menu as a guide we do it honor. When we mistake the menu for the meal, we do it and ourselves a grave injustice.”

Rabbi Rami Shapiro

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
“Aren’t all religions equally true? No, all religions are equally false. The relationship of religion to truth is like that of a menu to a meal. The menu describes the meal as best it can. It points to something beyond itself. As long as we use the menu as a guide we do it honor. When we mistake the menu for the meal, we do it and ourselves a grave injustice.”

Rabbi Rami Shapiro
Yes, that is redeeming or 'saving' God from religion. God beyond God, as Meister Eckhart called it. "I pray God make me free of God that I may know God."