• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If only we could see the results of our prayers

Spiderman

Veteran Member
If people could see the results of their prayers, and their prayers were helping out the world, there would be a lot more people praying.

Assuming God(s) exists, why don't you think he(they) shows us the results of our prayers?

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
It would probably lead to a special kind of arrogance if one knew.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
If people could see the results of their prayers, and their prayers were helping out the world, there would be a lot more people praying.

Assuming God(s) exists, why don't you think he(they) shows us the results of our prayers?

Doesn't want folks praying to him/her.
I mean if you were God would you want creatures you created from dust going about telling you what to do? o_O

giphy.gif

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

Miracles do happen every day and prayers do get answered.

If we are really "in tune", we would only pray prayers that will be answered. So when our prayer is not answered we are just out of "tune".

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Miracles do happen every day and prayers do get answered.

If we are really "in tune", we would only pray prayers that will be answered. So when our prayer is not answered we are just out of "tune".
I agree, that's why I pray God inspires all my prayers.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

I don't pray, but if I remember, a prayer is a petition to a higher authority.

What if that higher authority is you? If you don't answer your own will through action, what can prayers do?

nPeace

Veteran Member
If people could see the results of their prayers,
As far as I know, people do.

and their prayers were helping out the world,
It does.
However, what people see, or don't see, depends on what they are looking for.

there would be a lot more people praying.
From my experience...Yes. They are.
Although there are also a lot of people who give up praying. So it's like a situation where people are entering a stadium, while people are going out.

Millions do testify that God does show us the results of our prayers.
I have lived it, and continue to.

Sorry to break up the post. I just wanted to address each portion.

Spiderman

Veteran Member

What if that higher authority is you? If you don't answer your own will through action, what can prayers do?
Praying to yourself could turn into a way to release endorphins or motivate oneself possibly.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Praying to yourself could turn into a way to release endorphins or motivate oneself possibly.
Praying to oneself would be useless, and produce no results... (edited) in my view.
One can tell the difference between an empty basket, and one that is being filled, or full. It is no different to ones life... as I have found.
The Bible says... Every good gift and every perfect present is from above, coming down from the Father of the celestial lights, who does not vary or change like the shifting shadows. (James 1:17)

Last edited:

stvdv

Praying to oneself would be useless, and produce no results.
You state this as being a fact. That is unwise (unless you are omniscient) and unwise (as it violates RF rule 8) and unwise (as it is in fact just your opinion) IMHO

IMHO and IMHE what you state is completely wrong. IF God exists then God will decide whether or not granting results when praying to oneself; or would you claim that this is not God's business and would you claim that you can decide whether God should or should not grant results?

Last edited:

stvdv

I think you remember correctly:)

What if both are "true"?

At least that is what the Master of Advaita (Ramana Maharshi) taught us, by His living example.
Diciple of Ramana Maharishi asked "why we get better coming to you, while you seem to get worse?". Ramana replied "The Guru takes the karma of the disciple, until he can take it himself"
I have personally experienced that my Guru on many occasions took my Karma.

Last edited:

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
There are no results (praying is a waste of time). God already caters to everyone's needs before anyone asks him and follows His own plan.

Wasp

There are results. But we don't just pray for results. At least according to Islam people were created only to worship God. Worship doesn't mean just praying, but nevertheless praying is one of those things we're here for. I think of it as a sort of an end in itself.

Another thing is that in order for your prayers to be answered they need to be one with God's will. And a third, we should always know that God knows best. If we ask for something and don't get it - besides for the things mentioned before and the things I forgot to mention - it is because it wouldn't have been good for us.

Some people like to say it means it wasn't meant to be. But that sentence neglects to mention that what God wants for us is what is good for us.

nPeace

Veteran Member
You state this as being a fact. That is unwise (unless you are omniscient) and unwise (as it violates RF rule 8) and unwise (as it is in fact just your opinion) IMHO

IMHO and IMHE what you state is completely wrong. IF God exists then God will decide whether or not granting results when praying to oneself; or would you claim that this is not God's business and would you claim that you can decide whether God should or should not grant results?
We all do at some point state things as though it's a fact. We probably at some point too, have had to remind persons that it's an opinion.
Actually I became aware of my mistake after.
My apologies. Thank you.

nPeace

Veteran Member

I am a Christian. So I go by what I read in the Bible, rather than form an opinion about God, from my own ideas.

@stvdv I hope you intend to reprove Marcion as well. I will be watching to see how many RF posters you remind of Rule #8. I could go back and collect all the posts where you didn't seem to notice, but I would be breaking another rule. Just saying. :)

Last edited: