• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If one invites me to one' religion/no-religion, should I get annoyed with one?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Your thoughts please.
Everybody is welcome to post whether pertaining to a religion or not.
Regards

Last edited:

matthew_/!/

Depends on how different the religion is from your current one

I think Aquitane answered you in the other thread the way I would:
No it is not, you're attempting to write over other faiths and have them kneel at the feet of your own. It comes across as incredibly arrogant.

Last edited:

Laika

Premium Member
If anyone asks "Are you or have you ever been a member of the Communist Party?" you can assume its a bad thing. :D

This may be counter-intutitve given that I am one, but my experience is if anyone invites you to become a Communist, treat it like someone is giving you hard drugs. Lord Acton's quote "power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely" does ring true in this case (and probably a few others) and probably has the same psychology as being involved in a cult. its very potent and in large doses turns your worldview and self-image upside down. I can only really use the "Marxist-Leninist" label credably now in the same way someone thinks they are a recovering addict. the damage has been done and you realise that the "bad guys" can win and win big. no matter what your original intentions may have been, "waking up" gives you an haunting awareness of the human capacity for cruelty against one another that doesn't quite leave you. that has a very distorting effect and you just learn to manage it as best you can. The quote below is fairly accurate as the "rush" of the sense of power and that feeling that anything is possible is intoxicating. I believe that is what cocaine is supposed to be like.

"Dialectical materialism works like cocaine, let's say. If you sniff it once or twice, it may not change your life. If you use it day after day, though, it will make you into an addict, a different man." (Nicolae Ceaușescu, Romanian Communist Leader).

rusra02

Premium Member
Your thoughts please.
Regards

I think it depends on the nature of the invitation and the motive of the one inviting. For example, I believe many religions have the profit motive in inviting others to join their religion. Other religions do not invite but coerce those persons they can. Other religions exclude persons based on race, social standing, and economic circumstances. On the positive side, an invitation based on love of neighbor and genuine concern for their welfare should be welcomed by a reasonable person, whether accepted by them or not.

Sees

Dragonslayer
Only if it becomes nagging or pestering - or there are veiled threats, dishonesty, use of biased propaganda intended to sell to the confused, weary, etc.

If the person is intelligent and aware enough to pick up on that stuff, chances are they will be annoyed and possibly gain even more negativity/reservations towards the religions/traditions than previously held.

Daemon Sophic

Your thoughts please.
Regards

It is not what you say, but rather how you say it. - Anonymous

My basic answer would be 'No' it is not offensive to invite someone to see things from your own point of view, and in turn you should not be offended by their invitation. If anything it might even be considered a flattery of sorts, that they should deem you worthy to be part of their own group.

However, it is all important to consider how the invitation is made. For example....
A. Good - "You really seem open-minded, perhaps you would consider reading some of the basic tenets of [insert name of your philosophy here]. They address some of the topics we have been discussing. I could forward you a short list of quotes and ideas."

B. Bad - "Our religion is better. But I doubt you could understand unless you were a member and accepted the wise teachings of our great lord [insert name of your philosophical leader here]. Come to our meeting next week, and I will pray/hope for your enlightenment."

@paarsurrey frankly.....referencing your cited invitation, which centered around your following post ---
End-Time Reformer is the reformer about whom about all the founders of revealed religions have prophesied, with different names and titles. I mean Buddha, Krishna,Zoroaster,Moses, Jesus etc.
It is called End-Time, may be because all other religions and their followers have to truthfully merge under the End-Time Reformer, as their purpose as a different entity will end at that juncture. With him a new era of humanity is to usher in, it is for this that he has been named as Adam also.
Regards
You have begun by assuming that the reader/invitee agrees with you about End-Time Reformers, and apparently you believe that this [Mirza Ghualm Ahmad] is this one final End-Time Reformer. Which by its definition tells the reader, "Hey! You and all of humanity outside of my particular clique, who follow Mirza, were flat out wrong. But not to worry, if you actually knew your own religion, then you would already know that Mr. Ahmad's arrival was prophesied by your has-been spiritual leader. Yay!! So now you have the grand opportunity to join us in our enightenment! ". -- or words to that effect. :fearscream:

Clearly you need to work on your approach. Sorry.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
Get annoyed only if they pester you.
If they pester and you give in a go and don't care for it you can bet the
pestering will only get worse.
"What was it you didn't like?" Why didn't you care for it?" "Give it another try just for me."
And on and on.

Corthos

Great Old One
If done respectfully, and thoughtfully, I don't mind. I enjoy thought provoking conversation. =)

When one starts throwing their version of reality around with condescension or apathy towards people or their beliefs, then it gets irritating. =/

morphesium

If one invites me to one' religion/no-religion, should I get annoyed with one?
Your thoughts please.
Regards

It depends. There are a lot of things that go into making ones belief system, why people keep on believing something that is not acceptable to you / or me /or others. Our subconscious mind play a bigger role than our conscious mind.

No person can think about a subject /situation from every perspective. Every one is blessed with a rational and an imaginative thinking brain. So if you happened to get annoyed after a conversation, try to put your feet on your opponents shoes and think about it. Just think why the opponent is thinking that way - why his rational mind can't agree with what I say and so on. Then imagine yourself as your opponent and try to put his feet on your shoes (just imagine). This not only ease the situation but also gives you a broader understanding and far less biased perspective.

Even if you don't do these, I believe the beauty of life is its diversity. Different cultures, traditions, etc . Its worth knowing about these even if you can't agree with them.

"Don't criticize them; they are just what we would be under similar circumstances." — Abraham Lincoln

Last edited:

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Nothing wrong with inviting others to hear about and hopefully join your religion. How would any of us learn anything new without others telling about it?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Nothing wrong with inviting others to hear about and hopefully join your religion. How would any of us learn anything new without others telling about it?
If a proselytizer approaches someone to convince them that their beliefs are true but isn't open to having his own mind changed, then he's approaching the conversation in bad faith (no pun intended).

Learning about other beliefs doesn't have to come as a package deal with a conversion attempt.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
If a proselytizer approaches someone to convince them that their beliefs are true but isn't open to having his own mind changed, then he's approaching the conversation in bad faith (no pun intended).

Learning about other beliefs doesn't have to come as a package deal with a conversion attempt.
People have to have manners and tact, of course. On RF, don't we each in a sense proselytize for and against positions? Nothing wrong in that. And we get exposed to new ways of thinking.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Your thoughts please.
Regards

It depends a lot on how the invitation is made and, of course, on how respectful and sound the religion itself is.

Religions that presume that one "should" believe in them tend to rank rather low.