• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If not God.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That question would bother me, if I were an atheist, tbh. I mean, if I say that I don't believe in ''god'', then it seems pretty plain to me. No concept of ''god''..
No. Are you paying attention? It is being said TO BELIEVERS "god does not exist". Forum is not people saying 'I think god doesn't exist". Where have you been?

When they argue with a believer about their FACT that God does not exist, what are they arguing? What is that thing god which they are certain does not exist?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
No. Are you paying attention? It is being said TO BELIEVERS "god does not exist". Forum is not people saying 'I think god doesn't exist". Where have you been?

When they argue with a believer about their FACT that God does not exist, what are they arguing? What is that thing god which they are certain does not exist?
I personally assume they mean any concept of deity. Why wouldn't I?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I assume it means any concept of deity. If they don't mean that, then I'm not going to know either way. What do you think they mean?
I am sure each person has a different opinion of it's meaning. When I hear people say there is no god I think they mean intelligence cannot exist outside of brain matter.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Atheists tend to have really bad definitions of God, often heard from believers that have really bad definitions of God, if they had a really good definition of God, they might become believers.
I doubt that. We are usually exposed to all variety of conceptions, and have no challenge whatsoever in picking and choosing if we feel like it.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Well for one thing, reading Lao Tzu's Tao te Ching, I find my view of God closer to the Tao, than the Abrahamic God of the Old Testament, I've argued with several atheists on this forum who tell me God doesn't exist but they believe in the Tao, followed by "there is nothing divine or Godlike about the Tao", I disagree.

In Buddhism I see the emptiness and the dhammakaya coming the closest to my understanding of God. So I definitely don't agree with many western Buddhists that see Buddhism as an atheist religion.

But the non believers that seem to have the worst impression of God, are the ones that rely on right right wing fundamentalist Christians to supply the definition, its doesn't take a lot of brains to argue that a really really old white haired and bearded man sitting on a throne in heaven (that created the universe) doesn't exist!!

It seems to me that it all comes down to you wanting to use some concept of God when there is really no need for any.

A Vestigial Mote

When I use the term "god", I am usually (trying at least) to refer to any number of concepts taken from any number of theological belief systems. I tend to get hung up in my ideas on the Abrahamic One, because I am exposed more to pro-belief ideas of the Christian faith(s) than anything else in my daily life, but I do at least try (as miserably as I likely fail) to be impartial.

And I challenge you to mull-over the idea that no two people will ever have the exact same version of god/God to relay to one another.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Everyone picks and chooses. To say you don't makes you a LIAR !!!

I don't recall saying that not everyone picks and chooses. We are getting pretty loosy goosy with our definitions, btw; there are types of Xianity that ''pick and choose'', less, and according to traditional belief. Traditional belief is not necessarily ''picking and choosing''. and no, I'm not talking about Catholicism. :grinning:

Awoon

I don't recall saying that not everyone picks and chooses. We are getting pretty loosy goosy with our definitions, btw; there are types of Xianity that ''pick and choose'', less, and according to traditional belief. Traditional belief is not necessarily ''picking and choosing''. and no, I'm not talking about Catholicism. :grinning:

YOU Pick and Choose Everything You Do.