• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Muhammad is a descendent of Ishmael did Ishmael worship Abraham’s God?

Shibboleth

If Muhammad is a descendent of Ishmael as Muslims say he is, did Ishmael worship Abraham’s God?
It's been said that Abram was God's friend and then Jacob and Isaac; and that Abraham became the farher of Judaism, Christianity and Islam. How is that the case with Islam, can someone please make that connection for me?
Greetings

Bowman

If Muhammad is a descendent of Ishmael as Muslims say he is, did Ishmael worship Abraham’s God?
It's been said that Abram was God's friend and then Jacob and Isaac; and that Abraham became the farher of Judaism, Christianity and Islam. How is that the case with Islam, can someone please make that connection for me?
Greetings

There are really two 'Muhammads'.

There is the Koranic 'Muhammad'.....which is actually the Biblical Jesus.

Then there is also the ficticious islamic 'Muhammad'.

A-ManESL

Greetings

Ishmael(pbuh) (whose mother was Hagar) was the son of Abraham(pbuh) and he is thought of as the ancestor of the Arab people among which was the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh). From Abraham's(pbuh) other son, Issac(pbuh) (whose mother was Sarah) the people that were born ultimately followed Judaism. This is the standard Islamic position as far as I am aware.

Ishmael (pbuh), called Isma'il in Arabic, is a Prophet in Islam.

Also mention in the Book (the story of) Isma'il: He was (strictly) true to what he promised, and he was a messenger (and) a prophet. - Quran 19:54

Regards

Last edited:

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
^+1

I have no idea what post #3 is talking about. That is what I'd like an explanation of.

peace,
SageTree

Bowman

^+1

I have no idea what post #3 is talking about. That is what I'd like an explanation of.

peace,
SageTree

It is a little known fact that the term "Muhammad" was never a proper name at the time that the Koran was written.

It was a participle...combining adjective and verb...meaning 'praised one'...and, Koranically, was applied four separate times to the Biblical Jesus Christ.

The oldest recording of the term "Muhammad" appears in the inscriptions of the inner octagon wall, inside the Dome of the Rock - in which pre-Koranic verses all talk about Jesus Christ - including the term "Muhammad" directed squarely at Jesus Christ!

It was only later that these early inscriptions were copied into what we now have come to know as the Koran (i.e. the collection).

A Thousand Suns

Rationalist
Greetings

Yes---Prophet Muhammad(pbuh) was direct descendant of Isma'il, the first son of Prophet Ibrahim(Abraham)

Here's his Family Tree

Prophet Muhammad family tree

gnostic

The Lost One
I don't know about Muhammad being a descendant of Ishmael, but it would seem likely that Ishmael did worship the same god that his father worshipped. It is even debatable that the Arabs being Ishmael's descendants.

The genealogy of Ishmael is debatable, and can only be taken on as faith. It is something that you (or anyone else for that matter) can't prove.

Last edited:

Database

I respect all religions
Muhammad PBUH God
Ismaeel God
Abraham God
Jacob God
All are same
Just people made the gaps between them
its just a matter of time

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
It is a little known fact that the term "Muhammad" was never a proper name at the time that the Koran was written.

It was a participle...combining adjective and verb...meaning 'praised one'...and, Koranically, was applied four separate times to the Biblical Jesus Christ.

The oldest recording of the term "Muhammad" appears in the inscriptions of the inner octagon wall, inside the Dome of the Rock - in which pre-Koranic verses all talk about Jesus Christ - including the term "Muhammad" directed squarely at Jesus Christ!

It was only later that these early inscriptions were copied into what we now have come to know as the Koran (i.e. the collection).

Thanks for explaining your thoughts on the matter.

Shibboleth

[FONT=&quot]I appreciate the responses you’ve provided. And although I understand Ishmael being Abraham’s first born (not Sarah’s first-born) I don’t see where Ishmael or his decedents (Ishmaelite) worshipped Abraham’s God. Can someone maybe give me a couple of verses to work with? [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]And just as Abraham and his father Te’rah didn’t worship the same God I don’t won’t to assume that Ishmael worshipped or served his father’s God either. I say that because[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]there is no record of Ishmael’s being buried in the cave of Machpelah, the place of burial for Abraham and Isaac, along with their wives. Geneses 49:29-31.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In fact, the Torah says that Ishmael’s hand will be against everyone, and the hand of everyone will be against him; and before the face of all his brothers he will tabernacle. Genesis 16:12[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I also doubt very much that Jehovah and Allah are the same for the simple reason that Sarah dismisses Ishmael from her household for persecuting Isaac and threw them both out. Although he was Abraham’s first born he supported her decision in the matter. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Also, the animosity Ishmael had toward Isaac seems to have been handed down to his descendants, even to the extent of hating the God of Isaac for the psalmist, in enumerating those that are “the very ones intensely hating” (YHWH) includes the Ishmaelites. (Psalm 83:1, 2, 5, 6) [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] 1….. 2) For, look! Your very enemies are in an uproar; And the very ones intensely hating you have raised [their] head 5) For with the heart they have unitedly exchanged counsel; Against you they proceeded to conclude even a covenant, 6) … the Ish′ma·el·ites, Mo′ab and the Hag′rites[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]FACT:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] The Ishmaelites as a race were originally predominantly Egyptian not Arabian. T[/FONT][FONT=&quot]herefore All Arabs are not the descendants of Abraham through Ishmael. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]FACT:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] ONLY the Holy Scriptures tells you who the father of the Arabs is. . (Geneses 10:6, 7, 26-30) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Ishmael was hardly the father of the Arabs.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]FACT:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] There is no historical evidence for the assertion that Abraham or Ishmael was ever in Mecca. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“[FONT=&quot]If” Muhammad is a descendent of Ishmael did Ishmael worship Abraham’s God? Are there any scriptural references to support this? [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Greetings. . . [/FONT]

Greetings

Well first of all many people have misconeption that Islam begins from Prophet Muhammad salalahualiwasalam, Islam is the religion of all Prophets, All Prophets bring us the same message of Allah to us , its people who had divided themself.

Quran says in SURAH 3

84: Say: "We believe in Allah, and in what has been revealed to us and what was revealed to Abraham, Isma'il, Isaac, Jacob, and the Tribes,and in (the Books) given to Moses, Jesus, and the prophets, from theirLord: We make no distinction between one and another among them, and to Allahdo we bow our will (in Islam)."

And We all have Only and Only one GOD. All Prophets teaches us to obey the same one GOD. The basis message of Prophet Muhammad Salalahualiwaslam and Prophet Eisa alisalam (Jesus) is same.

Hope now you get the connection.

arizol

Well first of all many people have misconeption that Islam begins from Prophet Muhammad salalahualiwasalam, Islam is the religion of all Prophets, All Prophets bring us the same message of Allah to us , its people who had divided themself.

Quran says in SURAH 3

84: Say: "We believe in Allah, and in what has been revealed to us and what was revealed to Abraham, Isma'il, Isaac, Jacob, and the Tribes,and in (the Books) given to Moses, Jesus, and the prophets, from theirLord: We make no distinction between one and another among them, and to Allahdo we bow our will (in Islam)."

And We all have Only and Only one GOD. All Prophets teaches us to obey the same one GOD. The basis message of Prophet Muhammad Salalahualiwaslam and Prophet Eisa alisalam (Jesus) is same.

Hope now you get the connection.

I'm sure you guys believe that all were Muslims how else would Muhammad validate his message to Jews?

Shibboleth

islam means peace said:
All Prophets bring us the same message of Allah to us , its people who had divided themself.
Yes, it’s understood that people have divided the message and might I add the "Revelations" but not all Prophets bring the same message nor the same revelations be they man or angel.

Case and point; do you consider Bahá'u'lláh to be a Prophet of Allah, if not why not?

Galatians 1:8 However, even if we or an angel out of heaven were to declare to YOU as good news something beyond what we declared to YOU as good news, let him be accursed.
Matt. 24:24: False Christs and false prophets will arise and will give great signs [“miracles,”] and wonders so as to mislead, if possible, even the chosen ones.

I agree that the Quran is the first book for Muslims, whereas the Holy Scriptures (Bible) is a book for mankind.
But my question was and still is; did Ishmael or his descendants, starting with Ishmael 12 sons worship the God of Abraham? If you cannot answer that question which no one has as of yet, then my next question is:
Why would the God of Israel (God of Abraham) who made a covenant (promise) with Isaac through Abraham all be dismissed and forgotten and 600 hundred years later out of no-where consider Muhammad as the promise one? I’m sorry, I still see no connections.

I would also appreciate your or any Muslims feed-back on my other post; Isaac almost sacrificed not Ishmael….
Proof was given that Ishmael and his descendants did NOT worship the God of Israel; they hated them, but yet Muslims truly believe that God would still use Muhammad, a descendant of Ishmael when the Ishmaelite themselves never worshipped the God of Israel, Jehovah! What are Muslims basing this connection on?
On the other-hand, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and his descendants did worshipped YHWH or Jehovah. Even today Muslims worship Allah but Christians and Jews worship the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

Your comment on this.......

Last edited:
Greetings

Quran says in SURAH 3

Shibboleth

You quoted your Quran Islam is peace. The Quran would say that to establish Muhammad and his Quran, but where in the Bible does it make the connection, that Ishmael worshiped Abraham's God? Did Ishmael 12 sons worship YHWH, Abraham's God? Did they even mention Muhammad as a Prophet? If not, why not?

Greetings

Jesus4m3

Stop Being Ignorant!
Yes, it’s understood that people have divided the message and might I add the "Revelations" but not all Prophets bring the same message nor the same revelations be they man or angel.

Case and point; do you consider Bahá'u'lláh to be a Prophet of Allah, if not why not?

Galatians 1:8 However, even if we or an angel out of heaven were to declare to YOU as good news something beyond what we declared to YOU as good news, let him be accursed.
Matt. 24:24: False Christs and false prophets will arise and will give great signs [“miracles,”] and wonders so as to mislead, if possible, even the chosen ones.

I agree that the Quran is the first book for Muslims, whereas the Holy Scriptures (Bible) is a book for mankind.
But my question was and still is; did Ishmael or his descendants, starting with Ishmael 12 sons worship the God of Abraham? If you cannot answer that question which no one has as of yet, then my next question is:
Why would the God of Israel (God of Abraham) who made a covenant (promise) with Isaac through Abraham all be dismissed and forgotten and 600 hundred years later out of no-where consider Muhammad as the promise one? I’m sorry, I still see no connections.

I would also appreciate your or any Muslims feed-back on my other post; Isaac almost sacrificed not Ishmael….
Proof was given that Ishmael and his descendants did NOT worship the God of Israel; they hated them, but yet Muslims truly believe that God would still use Muhammad, a descendant of Ishmael when the Ishmaelite themselves never worshipped the God of Israel, Jehovah! What are Muslims basing this connection on?
On the other-hand, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and his descendants did worshipped YHWH or Jehovah. Even today Muslims worship Allah but Christians and Jews worship the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

Your comment on this.......
Great concept and description and questions. I also believe that muhhamed was not the promised child or neither a prophet. Because why would God change his mind so much? God is all knowing and should not have any problem on what his desire and foundation of a decision is. But anyways just IMO.

AgreeToDisagree

The Nobody
You quoted your Quran Islam is peace. The Quran would say that to establish Muhammad and his Quran, but where in the Bible does it make the connection, that Ishmael worshiped Abraham's God? Did Ishmael 12 sons worship YHWH, Abraham's God? Did they even mention Muhammad as a Prophet? If not, why not?

Greetings
Genesis 17
18 And he said to God: O that Ismael may live before thee. 19 And God said to Abraham: Sara thy wife shall bear thee a son, and thou shalt call his name Isaac, and I will establish my covenant with him for a perpetual covenant, and with his seed after him. 20 And as for Ismael I have also heard thee. Behold, I will bless him, and increase, and multiply him exceedingly: he shall beget twelve chiefs, and I will make him a great nation. 21 But my covenant I will establish with Isaac, whom Sara shall bring forth to thee at this time in the next year. 22 And when he had left oil speaking with him, God went up from Abraham.

According to these verses, IMO, God kept his promise to Abraham regarding Ismael. Verse 20 may indicate that Ismael worshiped God of Abraham till his very last breath as it is God's promise to Abraham that Ismael may live before God (verse 18). God didn't establish his covenant with the descendent of Ismael which explains why the Arabs became Pagans prior to Muhammad. He only established His covenant with Isaac's descendents which is why the Jews has always been monotheistic.

Quran says in SURAH 3
84: Say: "We believe in Allah, and in what has been revealed to us and what was revealed to Abraham, Isma'il, Isaac, Jacob, and the Tribes,and in (the Books) given to Moses, Jesus, and the prophets, from their Lord: We make no distinction between one and another among them, and to Allahdo we bow our will (in Islam)."

The verse above indicates that Muhammad is trying to bring the Pagan Arabs to worship God Almighty, the one and only God who Abraham, Ismael, Isaac and his descendents worship.

It doesn't mean that since the Muslim worship Allah, and Abraham worship YHWH, therefore the Muslims are not worshiping the God of Abraham because Allah is not YHWH. It doesnt work that way. We suppose to compare them using their nature / definition. Allah in the Quran is God Almighty, the one and only supreme being, the creator. YHWH in the Bible has the same characteristic as Allah. Therefore the Quran and the Bible are probably talking about the same God .
Another example is, a tribe in Africa who worship Atnatu. Atnatu to them is God Almighty, the one and only supreme being and the creator etc etc... Now Doesn't that sound like YHWH or Allah?