• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Messiah was on earth today.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
As a Buddhist no I do not follow the Messiah prophesy but I do respect those who do and will support them when discussing the topic.
As a Buddhist I only cultivate the teaching of Sakyamuni, But have an interest in all forms of spiritual scriptures.

Generally such topics are thrown into 'general religious debates' so I feel I have a right to offer the POV of 'no messiah'. It the topic was put in a DIR, or if the OP said 'Abrahamics only' I'd stay away. It reinforces human diversity.

If you don't want my opinion, don't ask. (Not at you, but at the general flow of this messiah idea on these forums)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Generally such topics are thrown into 'general religious debates' so I feel I have a right to offer the POV of 'no messiah'. It the topic was put in a DIR, or if the OP said 'Abrahamics only' I'd stay away. It reinforces human diversity.

If you don't want my opinion, don't ask. (Not at you, but at the general flow of this messiah idea on these forums)
I placed the OP in the Q&A so everyone would be able to answer :) And all answers are welcome

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
If Messiah was on earth today as a person, wouldn't that mean that the world (because of the internet) would know it in an instant from when it happened? And if someone spoke to Him, he would know who he was and be able to truly give evidence that was reliable and true?
Would He be afraid of giving teaching again at the end time, that the bible speaks about?
What language would He speak?

He is coming back to rescue His people and judge the world, IMHO, and yes, all will "see and know".

King Phenomenon

If Messiah was on earth today as a person, wouldn't that mean that the world (because of the internet) would know it in an instant from when it happened? And if someone spoke to Him, he would know who he was and be able to truly give evidence that was reliable and true?
Would He be afraid of giving teaching again at the end time, that the bible speaks about?
What language would He speak?
The only person that would know would be the Messiah himself. he would be too wise to tell anybody because he knows that people wouldn't believe him. And I'm sure God would make him undetectable from
humans so no one could hurt him

A Vestigial Mote

Are you saying that because most of the students in the classroom got questions wrong on the test, that there were no students that got perfect scores?
With a test and "perfect scores" there is a simple, objective way to verify that the answers were correct toward achievement of a perfect score, and who felt short. In other words, we have the tests and the answer key as clear and present EVIDENCE of who scored what. Heck - the tests themselves and the students answers are evidence that the TEST EXISTS. What do you have that is at all like this in the realm of religion?

This analogy of yours ignores everything about religion that makes it ambiguous, amorphous and subjective - which just about every part and parcel of religion could be described as.

ecco

Veteran Member
Did Jesus know what to do?
Yes, But I understand if you don't believe it.

If I understand the story, God put Jesus on earth for the betterment of mankind. Whether I believe that or not, is beside the point. The point is that Jesus' stint on earth didn't make any difference if the way man relates to man. So, either he didn't know what to do, or he just did a lousy job.

ecco

Veteran Member
No :) Many are very real. But unfortunately there are some false paths too
Technically, religions are all real in the sense that they are "the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods."

However, the gods that they are based on are nothing more than the creations of man's imaginings.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
If I understand the story, God put Jesus on earth for the betterment of mankind. Whether I believe that or not, is beside the point. The point is that Jesus' stint on earth didn't make any difference if the way man relates to man. So, either he didn't know what to do, or he just did a lousy job.
I would never judge Jesus or God for that matter even i do not follow their teaching, As a human being who are not enlighten it would be stupid of me to judge any God, Buddha or prophet. so no they do not do a bad job, it is the human beings who are bad in following teachings that make them have to change the way they are and how they think.

ecco

Veteran Member
I would never judge Jesus or God for that matter even i do not follow their teaching, As a human being who are not enlighten it would be stupid of me to judge any God, Buddha or prophet. so no they do not do a bad job, it is the human beings who are bad in following teachings that make them have to change the way they are and how they think.
Right! It's not the fault of the teacher, it's the fault of the bad students.

That works only if you choose to ignore that the teacher was God Himself. If He could not convince the "students" then why even bother?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Right! It's not the fault of the teacher, it's the fault of the bad students.

That works only if you choose to ignore that the teacher was God Himself. If He could not convince the "students" then why even bother?
All the deities in what we call heaven have compassion toward human beings who are on earth suffering, and some few of them do Chooses to be born in to the human realm to give teachings that we as human beings can cultivate up to enlightenment, but if humans do not wish to listen, then there is not much they can do, they still have rules to follow, so if a human being say no i do not want this, ok then they leave you alone. But for those who choose to cultivate a spiritual path, they will soon gain wisdom about how the teaching can help them awaken to the truth.
Human beings are given the teaching needed to become fully enlightened, but it is the humans who must do the work to actually realize the enlightenment for themself.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
That's what they have been saying for 2000 years. Any day now. Coming soon. Hold your breath.

Israel has fulfilled over 60 literal, specific prophecies, since 1948. Be aware that the passage explaining uniformitarian assumptions in the Bible also reproves you:

They say, "Where is He? Things have always been as they always are. But they forget that He once engulfed the world in water and drowned mockers."

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
With a test and "perfect scores" there is a simple, objective way to verify that the answers were correct toward achievement of a perfect score, and who felt short.
So you are saying that because there is no answer key, that there is no way to get correct answers? Fallacious!!!

A Vestigial Mote

So you are saying that because there is no answer key, that there is no way to get correct answers? Fallacious!!!
No - I'm saying there is absolutely no source to go to in order to figure out what the correct answers are. There's not even a way to determine IF THERE IS A TEST! That's what I am saying. So get your three straw-manning exclamation points out of my face.

ecco

Veteran Member
That's the assertion of a belief, no different from a belief in God.

It is a belief based on a knowledge of history. Beliefs in Gods are not based on any knowledge.

be·lief
/bəˈlēf/
noun
  1. 1.
    an acceptance that a statement is true or that something exists.
    "his belief in the value of hard work"
  2. 2.
    trust, faith, or confidence in someone or something.
    "a belief in democratic politics"

Do you believe Shiva is a God or the creation of man's imaginings?
Do you believe Atlas is a God or the creation of man's imaginings?
Do you believe Osanyin is a God or the creation of man's imaginings?