• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If man is not to have long hair, can woman seek to be the Head?

If man is to not have long hair, can woman seek to be The Head?

What are the teachings from Church saying/teaching about this?

Earthling

David Henson

As Paul outlined it, if a qualified man is present the man teaches, if a qualified man isn't present a woman can teach so long as she wears a covering on her head which symbolizes her respect for God's arrangement of headship.

lostwanderingsoul

I find it interesting that the Bible says in Corinthians that if a man has long hair it is a shame to him. And yet every painting or statue of Jesus shows him with long hair. Did Jesus not know it was a shame? Or did the people who made these paintings and statues not know what Jsus looked like? I would bet it is the latter. Jesus probably looked nothing at all like the paintings.

Axe Elf

Prophet
We don't have long hair; it's just that the women cut their hair so short these days that our hair LOOKS long.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I find it interesting that the Bible says in Corinthians that if a man has long hair it is a shame to him. And yet every painting or statue of Jesus shows him with long hair. Did Jesus not know it was a shame? Or did the people who made these paintings and statues not know what Jsus looked like? I would bet it is the latter. Jesus probably looked nothing at all like the paintings.
It's a common error among Christians.

It was clearly Samson who had died for our sins as a parallel can be made by studying how Samson stood between the two pillars in the Old Testament and Jesus hung between two crosses in the New Testament. Both have long hair that gave them incredible super powers. Both fell for a couple of dames named Delilah and Mary of whom both where real cuties.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

What makes you think that man is the head? The bible (and quran) may be strongly misogynistic, but things have changed since the bronze age.

In my experience and that people i know a relationship based on equality is far more fulfilling than one based on slavery to the male demigods wishes.

Katja

What makes you think that man is the head? The bible (and quran) may be strongly misogynistic, but things have changed since the bronze age.

In my experience and that people i know a relationship based on equality is far more fulfilling than one based on slavery to the male demigods wishes.

Well, I assume we're talking about the first half of 1 Corinthians 11, which pretty much says that man is the head. Whether that's right/agreed with/relevant to this day and age isn't what is at question here, I don't think-- more of an academic discussion on this passage itself.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Well, I assume we're talking about the first half of 1 Corinthians 11, which pretty much says that man is the head. Whether that's right/agreed with/relevant to this day and age isn't what is at question here, I don't think-- more of an academic discussion on this passage itself.

No, im talking about real life, not a bronze age story.

The OP was quite open in its question

Katja

No, im talking about real life, not a bronze age story.

The OP was quite open in its question
But we're literally talking about this "bronze age story" (which is where OP got the idea about men not having long hair; I've never heard of this being a non-Biblical church teaching as every person I've heard say this cites that passage), so...

How can you discuss something from Scripture while dismissing Scripture? Otherwise there's no discussion.

ChristineM

Premium Member
But we're literally talking about this "bronze age story" (which is where OP got the idea about men not having long hair; I've never heard of this being a non-Biblical church teaching as every person I've heard say this cites that passage), so...

How can you discuss something from Scripture while dismissing Scripture? Otherwise there's no discussion.

The title of the thread says ,"

If man is not to have long hair, can woman seek to be the Head?"

It says nothing of scripture.

The op asks "What are the teachings from Church saying/teaching about this?"

It says nothing about the bronze age

Yes this is a religion q&a thread. Religions still exist.

That is why i am justified in the hear and now, not how things were 4000 years ago.