• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If man evolved from monkeys,.....

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
how come we still have monkeys?
The members of the great ape family, including humans, moneys, gorillas, chimps, bonobos, and orangutan, all evolved from a common ancestor who has long since went extinct (the fate of over 99% of all species that have lived and the fate of all that currently live). Like a tree, from this common ancestor the members of this family branched out some, and branched out some more. Such as, we and homo erectus share a common ancestor within our own direct line, such as homo habilis, that monkeys do not share, but monkeys have their own family-line members we don't share, but like a family tree once you go back far enough we get to a species that both monkeys and humans did come from at one point in time.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Well, you tell me... what were the forces that caused some to stay monkeys and some to become homo sapiens?
Easy, Ken. Turn left, you go into the forest, turn right you head for the grassy plains. Different environments, different circumstances, different survival pressures. Now, through a newly erupted mountain range between closely related and probably procreatively compatible near relatives, and see if the different environments don't easily lead to changes fundamental enough that mating becomes impossible, or unproductive.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Is it then too far fetched to believe, because of environmental pressures, that the aborigines of Australia and their forefathers would develop at a different level and rate than, let's say for example sake, the whites from Europe?
The answer is both "yes" and "that's a slippery slope."

I should point out, however, that the Australians, who arrived from Polynesia, had skills and science long ago for reading ocean currents that allowed them to navigate great distances at sea that they Europeans were totally ignorant of. See Wade Davis's "The Wayfinders."

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
The answer is both "yes" and "that's a slippery slope."

I should point out, however, that the Australians, who arrived from Polynesia, had skills and science long ago for reading ocean currents that allowed them to navigate great distances at sea that they Europeans were totally ignorant of. See Wade Davis's "The Wayfinders."

It can be less slippery to simply take a single people (however you want to group them) and realise that they don't develop at a consistent rate in terms of technology/science, and that this is not indicative of intellect as much as environmental pressures.

Consider how quickly we were able to develop jet flight and the atomic bomb when motivated by war.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
It can be less slippery to simply take a single people (however you want to group them) and realise that they don't develop at a consistent rate in terms of technology/science, and that this is not indicative of intellect as much as environmental pressures.

Consider how quickly we were able to develop jet flight and the atomic bomb when motivated by war.
Good points.

Edited to say that those points are so good for the simple reason that what humans have evolved into is actually problem solvers. It doesn't matter if we're dealing with looking at the stars, the ocean currents, the rings in the trees we cut down...we look and we think. And that, for those who want to know, is true of humans all over the world, of every race and colour. That's who and what we are.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
So, if there are selective pressures and environmental factors that favor some variations over others... would that also apply to homo sapiens? Or is it just to the common ancestors?
That's basically why we're different "breeds" of humans in the same sense that all dogs are canis familiaris, but not all canis familaris are golden retrievers, chihuahuas, rottweilers, etc. We humans aren't different species or races like the theories of old claimed, but we do have ethnic variance brought about by our species adapting to the different climates of the world.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Hmmmm... you just ignored what science was saying that CAUSED the bad human behavior. The principles that I applied are those you are suggesting to me.

Yes, we can still take care of apes (a sub-species as compared to humans) and not behave badly to them... but, as is proposed by evolutionists and supported by evidence, it is what science proposed until the REALIZED the fact that they are supporting racism. Now there is a change in tune but have never explained why the aborigines in a completely secluded continent (because there weren't boats in their time) developed in the same manner as the natives of the jungles in Brazil, as did the eskimos in Alaska, as did the Africans etc. even though there were different environmental pressures.

After all, the Europeans DID develop in capacity far more than the aborigines. ;)

They just dance around it.

In capacity for what??

Audie

Veteran Member
Following what I can gather, that odd claim would be a logical next step. Where would it end? Individual variation could then be considered a form of racism. Maybe? I am obviously not clear on the details. I cannot get around the idea that conditions that we have no control over are being classed as something that requires direct action in order to exist.

In today's hyperventilated political climate, kind
of hard to find anything that is not racist.

I hope the day is coming, and soon, when people
will look back at this generation and shake
their heads at all the stupidity in the used to be.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
But some people still hold on to that they are a monkey's uncle.
But that's when we were talking about you. :p

Hey, just hang in there and stop with the tails, OK?

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Well, you tell me... what were the forces that caused some to stay monkeys and some to become homo sapiens?
Diversity of eco-systems and the monkeys that lived in them.

In my anthro course, I used the terminology "mosaic evolution", which goes like this: Evolution involves many different groups within a species living in different environments, all evolving in their own way, only some of which may evolve into new species.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Diversity of eco-systems and the monkeys that lived in them.

In my anthro course, I used the terminology "mosaic evolution", which goes like this: Evolution involves many different groups within a species living in different environments, all evolving in their own way, only some of which may evolve into new species.
Which is my point, Metis. If we do evolve in our own way, then the Australian Aborigine, over the tens of millennia, would evolve differently, or more progressively or less progressively than others and thus, would not be as intelligent or more intelligent than another group in a different environment which is the basis of racism.