• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Jesus Were To Return Today

may

john313 said:
I think he would have to reteach everything. I also think he would point out that many of today's Christians are followers of Paul, not of Jesus and the other prophets. He would reteach the original Law that Paul said was abolished with the human sacrifice of Jesus. I think he would be distraught with the wickedness in people of all religions and cultures;killing each other for money and the like. He may even be among us today, but we do not recognise him.
If he was actually here now, teaching, would we follow him or cast him aside as a teacher of nonsense because we are all so set in our ways?:sarcastic

Jesus invisible presence in kingly power began in 1914 and has been felt in an unmistakable and positive way. In spite of the ruin caused by humans, the enthroned King, Christ Jesus, has actively participated in forging a new nation of people—a people for Jehovah’s name "out of all nations and tribes and peoples and tongues." Christ’s active invisible presence has stimulated a worldwide preaching and teaching program that has touched the hearts of millions of rightly disposed individuals. They have been moved to take their stand on the side of Jehovah’s Kingdom in the hands of Christ Jesus.—Revelation 7:9, 10.​

In the face of increasing daily evidence that the multifaceted sign of Christ’s presence is being fulfilled, it is evident to alert Christians that we are facing the end of an epoch. Now is the time to "pay more than the usual attention" to the enthroned King, Christ Jesus. (Hebrews 2:1) He admonishes us: "Keep awake, then, all the time making supplication that you may succeed in escaping all these things that are destined to occur, and in standing before the Son of man."—Luke 21:36.so you are right when you say that people will cast him aside , because they do! People do not recgonise the signs of his presence today. and in doing so do not recgonise him

oracle

may said:

Jesus invisible presence in kingly power began in 1914 and has been felt in an unmistakable and positive way. In spite of the ruin caused by humans, the enthroned King, Christ Jesus, has actively participated in forging a new nation of people—a people for Jehovah’s name "out of all nations and tribes and peoples and tongues." Christ’s active invisible presence has stimulated a worldwide preaching and teaching program that has touched the hearts of millions of rightly disposed individuals. They have been moved to take their stand on the side of Jehovah’s Kingdom in the hands of Christ Jesus.—Revelation 7:9, 10.​

In the face of increasing daily evidence that the multifaceted sign of Christ’s presence is being fulfilled, it is evident to alert Christians that we are facing the end of an epoch. Now is the time to "pay more than the usual attention" to the enthroned King, Christ Jesus. (Hebrews 2:1) He admonishes us: "Keep awake, then, all the time making supplication that you may succeed in escaping all these things that are destined to occur, and in standing before the Son of man."—Luke 21:36.so you are right when you say that people will cast him aside , because they do! People do not recgonise the signs of his presence today. and in doing so do not recgonise him

I would say this is true. Christ will reign with an indwelling presence within us. Christ will come as a thief to those who expect a literal and physical appearance. In the end I believe all souls reunite with God. For someone to think they are special than everyone else and will get raptured literally is foolishness. That is egoism in disguise. The original message of Jesus was of an infinite love in which nothing finite can stand in it's wake, It was a message of an Infinite love that Unites all mankind as one whole. God is that love, and God is a connection between everyone and everything, we are all one and the same in that reality.

cfer

oracle said:
For someone to think they are special than everyone else and will get raptured literally is foolishness. That is egoism in disguise.
Exactly my problem with many Christians. But then again, if I'm to say I'm a Christian, aren't I supposed to not worry about them and let God alone judge them? Hmmm...

oracle said:
I think the churches of today resemble the Pharisees and Sadacees of Jesus's time, bent on legalistic dogma rather than spiritual truth.
Amen! I'd have to agree with you 100%.

maize said:
Actually, I think you have a very good point, Lycan. Our society today thinks people crazy if they are teachings things that go against what our society believes is important. Also, I've said this before, but I think Jesus would be very sad to found out the things that have been done in his name since he left.
I think Jesus would be very upset at all the things done in his name. He was crucified and suffered so much because of His love for all of us, so what do we do? We persecute and try to assert ourselves as superior to others in His name! How is that following His teachings??!?

As for what He would do when He showed up, I believe He would start teaching again. Once a teacher, always a teacher, right? Since I believe His kindness and patience knows no bounds, I think He would just say "Nope, you've got it wrong. Remember, it's like this..." and then He would continue working with us until we got it. No sales pitch, no hype, just patience. And more patience. And patience some more.

Unfortunately, as I agreed to above, most people would either label Him crazy or just totally ignore Him. Unfortunately I would probably be in that group, too. But I'm not perfect.

cfer

Maize said:
Actually, I think you have a very good point, Lycan. Our society today thinks people crazy if they are teachings things that go against what our society believes is important. Also, I've said this before, but I think Jesus would be very sad to found out the things that have been done in his name since he left.
What does this say about our society? How is it that society can dictate what is religious truth? (When I say truth, I do not mean the "End All, Be All" answer, since that is different for everyone.)

How has our society gotten to the point it has? Why do most of us belive that someone preaching love, peace, and kindness would be labeled crazy?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I think he'd probably try to work out how the human race could have got his message so wrong.:)

oracle

cfer said:
Exactly my problem with many Christians. But then again, if I'm to say I'm a Christian, aren't I supposed to not worry about them and let God alone judge them? Hmmm...
I't not a matter of judgement. It's simply discussing what is truth. What is inconsistent, is inconsistent, and if no one points out that inconsistency who else will? Saying that the Holocaust was wrong and foolish is discussing truth. If no one points out that it was wrong because you think it is passing judgement, that notion in itself is perverse and unjust. Who will confront the matter then? No one will, and it is left without closure, in utter nakedness, with no justice brought to those who are guilty in their error. Yes, let God Judge, and this is how God judges: God looks at the motives, God looks inside the heart and that is what he measures. The heart of a person who is prideful is wicked in God's eyes. In the end, it will be people with the true knowledge of God who will make the weeds look conspicuous, pull them out from the field, bundle them up, and throw them into the fire.

Master Vigil

May, For some reason I doubt that the Jehovah's Witnesses are gods chosen people. I dunno, it could just be me, but I see much more holiness and godliness in the dalai lama than I see in the witnesses. His humble and loving demeanor reminds me more of christ than the annoying people at my door, and he's not even christian!

Master Vigil

"Jesus invisible presence in kingly power began in 1914 "

I thought jehovahs witnesses believed this? Sure not a catholic belief in my knowledge.

Doc

Space Chief
What makes us all think he will come to America? This sinful and material engulfed people? Im sure he would make his way around but I figured he would return to where he first started.

One of my favorite writers, Thich Naht Hanh, a Vietnameese Zen Monk and Christian pointed out how we are always waiting for the Messiah Jesus or the Buddah that we lose sight of our true mission. He used an example. "A man wants desperately to listen to the Buddha/Jesus. He hears of Budda/Jesus' arrival in a nearby town and hurries off to it. He hurries off so quickly to listen to the good news or sermon, that he neglects several people on the road being in such a hurry. When he arrives in the town, Jesus/Buddah has left."
Much like this man, many people preach of the 'coming' yet fail to realize what Jesus or Buddah truly wants us to do. As Thich Nhat Hanh amazingly demonstrates in his books, we must abandon our notions and concepts of God or Buddha or whomever, so that we may focus on what we are truly meant to do. He examines the parrallels in Christianity and Buddhism.

Frankly, I think that Jesus will come to no church. For many shun others claiming to hold the truth. He will simply walk with the lamest beggars and those truly of love and faith.
We all say how Jesus will come in his amazing glory in the end and his kingdom will be revealed. But didn't Jesus compare the kingdom to a mustard seed. One that could grow within all of us. That must be watered and nourished by acts of faith and kindness. We all say that he is coming. Or that the Buddha is coming. Yet we fail to realize that we can achieve the kingdom of God within all of us. That Jesus is the here and the now. He is already here within each of us. The same with the Buddha. We can achieve heaven or Nirvana here on Earth. Not just in the afterlife. We should strive to bring happiness here, not just dread and only fragments of hope of salvation. Jesus was not against God, only our concepts and notions of God. Buddha was the same way. Instead of looking to the sky, look to the Earth you stand upon. Build the kingdom of heaven here.
So don't worry about when Jesus or Buddha is coming. He is already here. Find him here and abandon your silly ideas and notions or concepts of God. He is already here.

croak

Trickster
He is returning. He will preach what he preached before, true Christianity. It is said he will break the crosses and slaughter the pigs. It is also said he will appear first in Damascus. I am not sure, however.

No*s

Captain Obvious
I believe this, because it is what I have learned, He will appear and His presence will fill the whole universe, recreating it, and we will all be in the complete presence of God. We will all experience His presence differently, but it will be there for us all.

Of course, the resurrection body still will have the marks in the hands and feet as it did in Scripture, and we will all rejoice at the triumph of the cross ;).

oracle

Doc said:
What makes us all think he will come to America? This sinful and material engulfed people? Im sure he would make his way around but I figured he would return to where he first started.

One of my favorite writers, Thich Naht Hanh, a Vietnameese Zen Monk and Christian pointed out how we are always waiting for the Messiah Jesus or the Buddah that we lose sight of our true mission. He used an example. "A man wants desperately to listen to the Buddha/Jesus. He hears of Budda/Jesus' arrival in a nearby town and hurries off to it. He hurries off so quickly to listen to the good news or sermon, that he neglects several people on the road being in such a hurry. When he arrives in the town, Jesus/Buddah has left."
Much like this man, many people preach of the 'coming' yet fail to realize what Jesus or Buddah truly wants us to do. As Thich Nhat Hanh amazingly demonstrates in his books, we must abandon our notions and concepts of God or Buddha or whomever, so that we may focus on what we are truly meant to do. He examines the parrallels in Christianity and Buddhism.

Frankly, I think that Jesus will come to no church. For many shun others claiming to hold the truth. He will simply walk with the lamest beggars and those truly of love and faith.
We all say how Jesus will come in his amazing glory in the end and his kingdom will be revealed. But didn't Jesus compare the kingdom to a mustard seed. One that could grow within all of us. That must be watered and nourished by acts of faith and kindness. We all say that he is coming. Or that the Buddha is coming. Yet we fail to realize that we can achieve the kingdom of God within all of us. That Jesus is the here and the now. He is already here within each of us. The same with the Buddha. We can achieve heaven or Nirvana here on Earth. Not just in the afterlife. We should strive to bring happiness here, not just dread and only fragments of hope of salvation. Jesus was not against God, only our concepts and notions of God. Buddha was the same way. Instead of looking to the sky, look to the Earth you stand upon. Build the kingdom of heaven here.
So don't worry about when Jesus or Buddha is coming. He is already here. Find him here and abandon your silly ideas and notions or concepts of God. He is already here.
I totally agree with this

oracle

Ronald said:
First he would not enter a Christian Church, Christians would go to his Temple to hear him. They would have to enter a mikvah to enter into the Temple, so they will know the Truth, everyone will know the Lord.
Your body is the temple and Christ immanent within you. Truth is an inner process of growth, not an outer one. Do not expect someone to hand it to you, but you must find it yourself. Only those who truely seek are given the truth, for those who are not ready it is withheld. Remember that Jesus spoke in parables, and the secrets of the kingdom were kept secret.

linwood

jewscout said:
Jesus would probably ask where the nearest orthodox shul was....
Ditto jewscout.

I think Jesus would be wondering what this Christian church thing was.

He might also exclaim OY VEY!

linwood

RearingArabian said:
He is returning. He will preach what he preached before, true Christianity. It is said he will break the crosses and slaughter the pigs. It is also said he will appear first in Damascus. I am not sure, however.

He didn`t teach Christianity.

He taught Judiasm.