• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Jesus returned to this world, how would you know it was Jesus?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I believe that Jesus Christ has already returned; and is the spirit that lives in believers. So this is something that is far away from troubling to me personally because; my belief comes from believing in the fulfilment of all things eschatological wise.

It did not take one day to get there; in fact it has taken years.

It's interesting to me that our beliefs have a point of agreement albeit from very different theological perspectives.

You express it as Jesus Christ has already returned... I would express it as "God's silence is starting to break" and would not limit this to Christians or even theists. And I've found images that express this:

energy.jpg
Beginning_awakening.jpg

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Read Revelation 1. I don’t think there will be any confusion over the return of the authentic Jesus.
I believe all that has already happened, but we all interpret the Bible differently.
It won’t be like just some man walking on to the scene.
Do you mean like what happened when Jesus first appeared on the scene as an ordinary man and most people rejected Him?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Most Christians are waiting for Jesus to return, although they do not all agree on when or how He will return, but if a man came claiming to be Jesus how would you know it was really Jesus? After all, there are no photos of what Jesus looked like when He walked the earth 2000 years ago.

Anyone can claim that he is the return of Jesus and that is no doubt why Jesus gave this warning to His disciples:

Matthew 24

3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.

5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

Jesus was right, because many men have come claiming to be Jesus

List of people claimed to be Jesus - Wikipedia

So how would you know if a man who claimed to be Jesus was really Jesus? What would he have to do to prove to you that He was Jesus?

(This is mostly for Christians, but anyone can answer it. :))
Jesus already came by several times on this forum. I think he's doing fine.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
Most Christians are waiting for Jesus to return, although they do not all agree on when or how He will return, but if a man came claiming to be Jesus how would you know it was really Jesus? After all, there are no photos of what Jesus looked like when He walked the earth 2000 years ago.

Anyone can claim that he is the return of Jesus and that is no doubt why Jesus gave this warning to His disciples:

Matthew 24

3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

So how would you know if a man who claimed to be Jesus was really Jesus? What would he have to do to prove to you that He was Jesus?

Interesting fact from a Wikipedia article about this: A 2010 survey showed that about 40% of Americans believe that Jesus is likely to return by 2050.

Truthseeker

I believe that Jesus Christ has already returned; and is the spirit that lives in believers. So this is something that is far away from troubling to me personally because; my belief comes from believing in the fulfilment of all things eschatological wise.

It did not take one day to get there; in fact it has taken years.
That's interesting. So you're thinking evolved over time? That's a thinking man for you, I like that!

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Imagine growing up and being taught this kind of Christianity?

It's funnier now than it was then.
I can only imagine that because I was not raised as a Christian and never was a Christian. For that I thank God and my parents who dropped out of Christianity long before I was born. :)

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Interesting fact from a Wikipedia article about this: A 2010 survey showed that about 40% of Americans believe that Jesus is likely to return by 2050.
I guess they don't read the Bible if they believe the return of Christ will be the same man Jesus.

John 14:19 Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.

John 17:11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.

But probably they just believe what they have been taught in Church.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member

Matthew 24

I would just look for the guy standing in front of a church doing this: :facepalm:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
That could explain why so many Americans are complacent about the bad things going on in the world.....
Jesus is coming and He will fix everything. My Christian coworker told me that about five years ago.
Does anyone not see the danger in such a belief?

JoshuaTree

Flowers are red?
That could explain why so many Americans are complacent about the bad things going on in the world.....
Jesus is coming and He will fix everything. My Christian coworker told me that about five years ago.
Does anyone not see the danger in such a belief?

Something to be said about what you write here, no doubt some people think the more the problems the quicker the arrival.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Says would deceive the elect, if possible. Wouldn't it follow that it's not possible to deceive the elect, therefore the elect have no choice, right?
Do you base what you believe on one verse, and your interpretation of it?
If we have free will then we have a choice to believe or not.
However, we will make a choice to believe if that is what God has fated for us, so it could be that some of the elect were fated to be deceived.

InChrist

Free4ever
I believe all that has already happened, but we all interpret the Bible differently.

Do you mean like what happened when Jesus first appeared on the scene as an ordinary man and most people rejected Him?
Jesus specifically came as a humble servant the first time. He comes again in power and glory as King of Kings and Lord of Lords.

Truthseeker

I guess they don't read the Bible if they believe the return of Christ will be the same man Jesus.

John 14:19 Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.

John 17:11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.

But probably they just believe what they have been taught in Church.
Hard to say if they al mean that literally, or if there may be a few that believe Jesus will return in a more spiritual sense.

JoshuaTree

Flowers are red?
Do you base what you believe on one verse, and your interpretation of it?
If we have free will then we have a choice to believe or not.
However, we will make a choice to believe if that is what God has fated for us, so it could be that some of the elect were fated to be deceived.

Hmmmm. If you think you have free will just change your mind and believe you don't, then what you believe will be right, right? o_O