• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Jesus Is Coming Back,as He Said .......?

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
If Jesus Is Coming Back as He said, should'nt the inhabitants of the World Be Concerned ??????

I mean if the scriptures are true and we are at the period in history where Jesus will come back to take those who trusted Him as Lord and Savior,those who are born again,spirit filled believers,should'nt this be cause for concern.

...... or will the world go on just as it always has, the bible says,as it was in the days of Noah,so will it be when Jesus returns, and we are definitiely here or have already surpassed Noah's days.

Tiberius

roli said:
If Jesus Is Coming Back as He said, should'nt the inhabitants of the World Be Concerned ??????

I mean if the scriptures are true and we are at the period in history where Jesus will come back to take those who trusted Him as Lord and Savior,those who are born again,spirit filled believers,should'nt this be cause for concern.

...... or will the world go on just as it always has, the bible says,as it was in the days of Noah,so will it be when Jesus returns, and we are definitiely here or have already surpassed Noah's days.

If the Gosepels are true, then jesus returned thousands of years ago, for didn't he say that his return would be before those who were with him died?

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Tiberius said:
If the Gosepels are true, then jesus returned thousands of years ago, for didn't he say that his return would be before those who were with him died?
True.

But also in response to roli's post - every generation has believed that their generation would see the return of Christ.
For 2,000 years people have been born, grown up, expected Christ's imminent return, and then died. Their children did the same, and their children, and theirs etc etc up till today - we still have people being born, growing up, expecting Christ's imminent return and then dying.

I guarantee to you that Tim LaHaye will die without seeing any form of Rapture.

Tiberius

The problem stems from the fact that the Bible tells us how we'll know when the end time is at hand, yet the descriptions given are so vague that they can be interpretted to fit any period in history.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Tiberius said:
The problem stems from the fact that the Bible tells us how we'll know when the end time is at hand...
Does it? I think you'll find every verse used to justify a belief in the End Times has a specific temporal link to the time in which the text was written.

Tiberius said:
... yet the descriptions given are so vague that they can be interpretted to fit any period in history.
They are vague to us becuase we live 2,000 years after the events being alluded too happened.

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
roli said:
Actually, we only have things other people have said Jesus said. That's a slightly different kettle of anchovies.

roli said:
Why? You've made a lot of assumptions there without giving any reason as to why we should accept them as any more valid then someone else's interpretations. Given that faith is inherently subjective, you shouldn't be surprised that many people disagree in some way with you and need more then a simple "my beliefs are correct because they're mine" mentality to seriously consider your own surmisations.

Off the top of my head, the so far unfounded presumptions you've made in that short paragraph include:

1) That the Bible is inerrant and complete within itself.
2) That there is one, and only one, correct version of the biblical canon.
3) That there is one, and only one, correct interpretation of said canon.
4) That you are in possesion of both that canon and interpretation.
5) That the Bible refers to a specific and undetermined period in the future.
6) That the words and actions attributed to Jesus within the Bible are entirely accurate and truthful.
7) That there is some form of heaven, afterlife or rapture.
8) That there exists neccessary conditions to be fulfilled for access to this afterlife, and that these conditions are readily knowable in advance.
9) That Jesus shares in some, perhaps inexplicable, way a divine nature. *(Reading back, your concept of the trinity seems oddly removed from the early Greek concepts of it. Not that this makes it inaccurate, but it does raise further questions)

roli said:
or will the world go on just as it always has, the bible says,as it was in the days of Noah,so will it be when Jesus returns,
Since I believe you practice sola scriptura, I think a fitting request at this point would be to ask you to list all the bible verses that (in your opinion) explicitly state this. From there we can get a proper debate going.

roli said:
and we are definitiely here or have already surpassed Noah's days.
Can you explain what you mean by this?

Reactions: d.

cardero

Citizen Mod
Roli writes: I mean if the scriptures are true and we are at the period in history where Jesus will come back to take those who trusted Him as Lord and Savior,those who are born again,spirit filled believers,should'nt this be cause for concern.
I should say so! When I receive or expect visitors there are certain preparations that must be made. The house has to be cleaned. If I have to take off from work I will make arrangements with my company. I have to go shopping and make sure I have all the food I am going to need if my company is staying for dinner.

One of the most important details to receiving visitors is the communication that is shared between them. How many people are your guests bringing? What (if any) special dieting considerations should I be aware of? Is there anything that my company could contribute to this visit? Also directions to my house may have to be given if my company has never been to that part of the area. Out of all these exhausting preparations and plans I would have to admit that the most important thing to consider when you are receiving any visitors is…

……A TIME AND A DATE.

The significance of this information cannot be understated between two responsible, organized and trusting individuals; if this relevant information is not exchanged and established between both parties any pleasant well-intentioned visit can become a misunderstanding of disastrous proportions.

From past experience, nothing can be more embarrassing or more disappointing for a visitor who shows up unexpected to find out that the homeowner is not home or when they are home they are just leaving for some place and do not have the time to receive company. For some homeowners these unexpected visitations can seem like an uncomfortable, inconsiderate and rude invasion.

Matthew 24:3-9
3 While he was sitting upon the Mount of Olives, the disciples approached him privately, saying: “Tell us, When will these things be, and what will be the sign of your presence and of the conclusion of the system of things?”
4And in answer Jesus said to them: “Look out that nobody misleads YOU;5 for many will come on the basis of my name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will mislead many. 6YOU are going to hear of wars and reports of wars; see that YOU are not terrified. For these things must take place, but the end is not yet.
7 “For nation will rise against nation and kingdom against kingdom, and there will be food shortages and earthquakes in one place after another. 8 All these things are a beginning of pangs of distress.
9“Then people will deliver YOU up to tribulation and will kill YOU, and YOU will be objects of hatred by all the nations on account of my name.10 Then, also, many will be stumbled and will betray one another and will hate one another. 11 And many false prophets will arise and mislead many; 12 and because of the increasing of lawlessness the love of the greater number will cool off. 13 But he that has endured to the end is the one that will be saved. 14 And this good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come.

For many people this may seem like an appropriate enough RSVP and many have tried to convince me that Jesus could not have been more specific. As informative or as impressive as other people think these signs are, it doesn’t tell me when Jesus is coming, if anything, it tells me that Jesus is late and my dinner is now cold and ruined.

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
roli said:

As an answer:
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen. --Reinhold Niebuhr

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I don't know if I am going to sound completely out of line, but here goes.

You guys might have gathered that I believe in re-incarnation; I believe too (coincidentally a feeeling I believe is shared by LDS Christians) that Heaven, the Garden of Eden, and Earth are all physicaly in the same place; (heaven and the Garden of Eden are one and the same).

We have to earn our way to Heaven (and I don't believe that that is conditional upon being Christian, a follower of Islam, or an atheist); God will judge us on the intent within our hearts.

I believe that Jesus Christ will return one day; now when that occurrs, there is no point whatsoever in speculation.

As a human watching ants beavering away with their limited lifetimes (which might well seem hugely long to them), I am sure the case is the same where we are concerned, in God's eyes; what may take a thousand years (as we know them) may either be a blink of an eye, in truth - and that is if there is such a thing as temporal measurement outside our dimension.

Live life the best way that you can, treat others as you would have them do unto you, have a great respect for Nature, and I think that will earn you the pass..............

Revasser

Terrible Dancer
It seems to me that when it comes to the Second Coming, Christianity has been waiting for 2 millennia on a "BRB."

If Jesus was coming back, he'd be here by now.

We shouldn't be concerned.

cardero

Citizen Mod
michel said:
I don't know if I am going to sound completely out of line, but here goes.

You guys might have gathered that I believe in re-incarnation;

I believe that Jesus Christ will return one day; now when that occurrs, there is no point whatsoever in speculation.

If I may speculate here for a moment Michel. I suspect that Jesus has already re-incarnated in this physical existence, possibly several times but never in the capacity or purpose that many people have expected him to.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
cardero said:
If I may speculate here for a moment Michel. I suspect that Jesus has already re-incarnated in this physical existence, possibly several times but never in the capacity or purpose that many people have expected him to.

Funny you should say that; it is what I believe........but I don't like to push my luck too far!:rolleyes:

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
cardero said:
Sounds interesting, please expand on your idea. You too Mich, i've not heard this before (apart from the JW version).

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Obviously, I can't speak for Patrick.

The way in which I see this is that Jesus Christ has been incarnated as an 'ordinary human' simply to help some 'get back on track'. I think that is the only way in which God sometimes gives us a helping hand.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
michel said:
Obviously, I can't speak for Patrick.

The way in which I see this is that Jesus Christ has been incarnated as an 'ordinary human' simply to help some 'get back on track'. I think that is the only way in which God sometimes gives us a helping hand.
You mean like he could be any bloke on the street, come back to help 1 or 2 people who really need help?

cardero

Citizen Mod
Halcyon said:
Sounds interesting, please expand on your idea. You too Mich, i've not heard this before (apart from the JW version).
I'm not sure I am familiar with the JW version.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
The JW version is that Jesus came back in 1914, but was invisible. He came back as a force i think, not as a person.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Halcyon said:
You mean like he could be any bloke on the street, come back to help 1 or 2 people who really need help?

A bit of a more 'needy' a situation that that - someone truly inspirational who has helped reshape wrondoings on a massive scale. Of course, I can't think of anyone off hand, but yes, any bloke on the street - to look at.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
michel said:
A bit of a more 'needy' a situation that that - someone truly inspirational who has helped reshape wrondoings on a massive scale.
Is there anyone (who i am likely to know) who you think may have been a reincarnation of Christ?