• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If it could be proved no god exists

PureX

Veteran Member
I wonder what would be the reaction of theists if evidence was discovered which proved beyond any shadow of doubt that no god has ever existed, and all faiths are created by humans?
Some would accept it and some would deny the validity of the evidence. Theists are no different than anyone else in this regard.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
atheists need to define god first. then they can 'prove' gods don't exist. :rolleyes:
Someone needs to define "god." That was my point earlier: for many gods, they're so poorly defined that if they were tweaked to the point that they could be called "wrong," it would be a significant improvement.

Reactions: syo

I wonder what would be the reaction of theists if evidence was discovered which proved beyond any shadow of doubt that no god has ever existed, and all faiths are created by humans?

I would be surprised. According to the Bible God is love. It would be very interesting to see how it could be proven that Love doesn’t exist, all though I can accept that atheists don’t know Love, which is why I also understand how they can be atheists.

He who doesn't love doesn't know God, for God is love.
1 John 4:8

A Vestigial Mote

the world would fall into chaos because there would be no standard of morality.
You do understand that, by saying this, you are implicating the theists of the world as the ones who would start up this "chaos" you speak of, right? Because non-believers are already in this world (whether you like it or not), and are already having an effect on the world, which is apparently "not in chaos" currently, by your estimation, correct?

So... the logic goes that in order for a world comprised of both theists and atheists that is currently not in chaos to plunge into chaos, if it were found that God did not exist, this would basically only cause a change in the theists, since the atheists already do not believe, and finding out there was no god would not come as a shock to them. With me so far? So, the only thing that would change when the world found out there was no god is the theists. Which means that if the world suddenly plunged into chaos it would be because of the theists... not the atheists.

Isn't that interesting? That you're the one implying this, I mean. Well? What do you have to say? I already noticed you didn't reply to a few other people who responded to your claim of "chaos." Do you have any further words on the matter?

Last edited:

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
There are many morally sound, ethical people who are also non-theistic and don't rely on sacred texts or religions to tell them how to be so.
And who determines that they are being morally sound and ethical people?

Kenny

Premium Member
Why do you suppose that would be the case? There are many atheists who are very moral, loving, and charitable people. You seem to be implying the only reason to do good is because a god is going to reward or punish your behavior. Why not do good because you care about other people, regardless of whether or not a god exists?
But just because one person does something good does not mean that the next person agrees that what they did was good in and of itself.

That is why there would be chaos. One person will say it is morally good not to violate a seven-year-old and the next person will say it is morally good to teach them about sexuality by experience.

There is no standard. If there is true morality, there is a true morality giver. If there is a true morality giver, there is a God. IM V

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
And who determines that they are being morally sound and ethical people?

The same way as anyone else, the given society. A person's actions and deeds, how they interact within others. Religion certainly does not guarantee morally sound and ethical people, there's abundant evidence of that.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I would still practice Judaism. Loving my neighbor as myself is still the best possible life. The Torah tells us not just that God exists, but who we are as a People. Even without God, I would still be a Jew.

Audie

Veteran Member
I would still practice Judaism. Loving my neighbor as myself is still the best possible life. The Torah tells us not just that God exists, but who we are as a People. Even without God, I would still be a Jew.

The Jewish people have a good story they tell themselves
about themselves. I'd hope they never lose it .

Kenny

Premium Member
This troubles me you believe this. Would you be a lawless criminal, violent and unpredictable, if you didn't believe in God? Is that the only thing holding you back from immorality and criminality? The fear of getting caught and being held responsible? Do people around you need to be concerned about you as a person, should you lose your faith in God?

If you answer you would not, then why do you assume everyone else would? I suspect this fear others would act that way, reflects how you see yourself, which is worrisome.

Because so many people already have?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Because so many people already have?
That didn't answer me. Would you be a violent, unpredictable person, if you didn't have the threat of God over you? You seem to believe everyone else would, so you must believe you would yourself.

Do you really believe this about yourself?

Kenny

Premium Member
You do understand that, by saying this, you are implicating the theists of the world as the ones who would start up this "chaos" you speak of, right? Because non-believers are already in this world (whether you like it or not), and are already having an effect on the world, which is apparently "not in chaos" currently, by your estimation, correct?

I don't think so. There is a big difference between a sprinkling of non-believers than a world without God.

So... the logic goes that in order for a world comprised of both theists and atheists that is currently not in chaos to plunge into chaos, if it were found that God did not exist, this would basically only cause a change in the theists, since the atheists already do not believe, and finding out there was no god would not come as a shock to them. With me so far? So, the only thing that would change when the world found out there was no god is the theists. Which means that if the world suddenly plunged into chaos it would be because of the theists... not the atheists.

I think this is a superficial look. If there is no God, then there is no standard of morality and, thus, you saying that "Ken has too much, it is only right that I take some of it" would be OK. Likewise, someone else could say "We have too many people in this world and too many that are starving and since you are just another animal, and a lame one at than, it is within my moral compass that you should be dinner tomorrow."

Now, you could say, "No one would ever do that!" yet there is cannibalism. Who would be the one to determine who was right? And if you said, "It is obvious that it is wrong!", who put that sense in you?

Kenny

Premium Member
That didn't answer me. Would you be a violent, unpredictable person, if you didn't have the threat of God over you? You seem to believe everyone else would, so you must believe you would yourself.

Do you really believe this about yourself?

But I DO believe there is a God and have a relationship with Him. What I could say that if I didn't believe in God, I would be divorced and would support violent abortion. What would I do after I did all of that? Who knows?