• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If I were President...

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Okay, I'm Canadian, so I'll never be President. I suspect that may be a good thing -- both for me and for America!

But I think we're going to hear from President Biden in just minutes that another human being has been killed, at the behest of the leader of the free world. This time, it will be another leader of Al Qaida, Ayman al-Zawahiri. How does a Christian justify ordering the murder of a human being? This is a fascinating question to me. I'm only an atheist, but I know that I could not do it.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
When I first registered for the draft, lifetimes ago, I registered as a conscientious objector to war in any form. My attitude changed over time.

One of the reasons was a consideration of how to respond to killers. We had the school horror show where the cops sat around for 77 minutes. Should they have killed the murderer (if necessary)?

If you see a man with a knife about to murder someone, should you stop the attempted murder by shooting the perp if you can?

Too often this is done too casually especially in the case of cops but also in national assassinations etc. But in rare occasions I have no moral objection to this.

Would I prefer that such people be captured and tried in court? Of course. But sometimes it's not possible.

joe1776

IMO, conscience (moral intuition) seems to find killing wrongful when the intent is to harm an innocent person. Killing when necessary in self-defense or to protect other innocent lives is justified.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Okay, I'm Canadian, so I'll never be President. I suspect that may be a good thing -- both for me and for America!

But I think we're going to hear from President Biden in just minutes that another human being has been killed, at the behest of the leader of the free world. This time, it will be another leader of Al Qaida, Ayman al-Zawahiri. How does a Christian justify ordering the murder of a human being? This is a fascinating question to me. I'm only an atheist, but I know that I could not do it.
This is a bit tricky. The act was arguably not murder since that is an illegal taking of life. If you read the Bible you will see that there is no problem with the legal taking of life in the Bible. And when it comes to the teachings of Jesus many will not take is as a sin according to Jesus unless he specifically says this.

I would say that it takes a deeper understanding of morals to see how this may be wrong. The Bible itself does not seem to oppose such acts.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
We could do far worse. In fact, we have.

I could, in a heartbeat - assuming, of course, that capturing him was out of the question. That he was killed sans collateral damage was a remarkable tactical and ethical accomplishment.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
If I were President...

You would be in trouble

How does a Christian justify ordering the murder of a human being? This is a fascinating question to me. I'm only an atheist, but I know that I could not do it.
I could neither

My view on this:
In India they have the caste system + Dharma

Simplified:
a) Caste of workers, earning the money
b) Caste of priests, praying for well being all
c) Caste of warriors, protecting all

Similar in the West: Workers, priests, army

Dharma of priest = not killing
Dharma of warrior = protect, if needed kill
Dharma of worker = earn money, not killing

In India it's about following your Dharma that gets you your spiritual merits. So, indeed a priest should not kill, and the warrior should not try to avoid his duty either. All will do right if they just stick to their duty

This makes sense to me

You are not a warrior, neither am I
Christians who are warriors can kill
@stvdvRF

Last edited:

Hold

Abducted Member
Premium Member

It's putting political advertising ahead of what I was taught about assassination. It is supposed to be immoral and it increases the chances of assassination being reciprocated. There is a 'but'.......if a country is being irradicated by a tyrannical neighbor I might make an exception to the rule...

Last edited:

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
This is a bit tricky. The act was arguably not murder since that is an illegal taking of life. If you read the Bible you will see that there is no problem with the legal taking of life in the Bible. And when it comes to the teachings of Jesus many will not take is as a sin according to Jesus unless he specifically says this.

I would say that it takes a deeper understanding of morals to see how this may be wrong. The Bible itself does not seem to oppose such acts.
But you know, of course, that I do not use the Bible as any sort of source of my ethical and moral positions.

Shaul

Premium Member
“Heavy is the head that wears the crown.” A State by being a sovereign has the power of life and death. That is inescapable. By its actions or inactions it can cause death. Naturally such powers are a grave responsibility that a State shall hopefully exercise with wisdom. How a State exercises its power is certainly subject to the judgment of humanity. But anyone that doesn’t understand and know that the Executive head of a State must sometimes yield this ultimate power of a State should never take that office. Anyone that loses their human resistance to exercising that power over life and death is unfit to hold such office and power.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

'Only' an atheist? Heh...not quite how I think about it, but I'll assume you're using a little artistic licensed there to make a point.

I'm only an atheist too, and I honestly believe I could.

I'm not sure I'd celebrate it in the way some are likely to do, though. It's more a necessary evil to my way of thinking, and when it becomes the easy answer, you're staring into the proverbial abyss.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
I would assume they understand the harsh truth that sometimes- for a country to achieve its objectives- people must die.

F1fan

Veteran Member

Christians are not pro-life, so killing isn't a problem. Christians really don't have a problem killing, as they are experts at justifying their irrational beliefs. They live with certain ideals, but those ideals do not have to follow any coherent pattern, or morals, or function. Evangelical Christians are attached to Republicans these days, so we can predict what Christians believe and support by looking at conservative politics.

Heyo

Veteran Member

It takes a special kind of psychopath to lead the free world. And I wouldn't mind leaders killing each other and their rank and file if there wasn't the hypocrisy that it's bad when they do it but it's good when we do it.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

Mr. President or Prime-Minister if you want.

Ayman al-Zawahiri just killed 78 men, women and children in your country and is planning 3 more of such attacks

What are you going to do about it?

Last edited:

pearl

Those of us who have vivid memories of 9/11, and the number of beheadings shown in real life, have a different take on whether or not the assignation of a murderer who has spread terror across much of the world is justified.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Those of us who have vivid memories of 9/11, and the number of beheadings shown in real life, have a different take on whether or not the assignation of a murderer who has spread terror across much of the world is justified.
I have memories of the US attacking a sovereign country on false pretence, with the effect of killing hundreds of thousands. Do I want Bush and his cronies assassinated? Do you?
I'd prefer them tried in the Hague and spending the rest of their lives in prison.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

Their god murdered a human being as a savior, and lots of human beings in the Bible.