• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Human Error Isn't the Cause, Then Where Do Scriptural Errors Come from?

rusra02

Premium Member
Okay.

The error in the Bible is the tacit assertion that the statements comprising each pair below are true.

I, Skwim
Claim the following scriptures contradict each other
The age of Ahaziah when he began to reign
2 Kings 8:26: Two and twenty years old was Ahaziah when he began to reign.
Ahaziah was 22

2 Chronicles 22:2: Fourty and two years old was Ahaziah when he began to reign.
Ahzaiah was 42

While the English KJV says 42 at 2 Chronicles 22:2, modern translations say 22. I believe God's word is accurate. Translations may contain such errors.
The children of Michal
II Samuel 6:23: Therefore Michal, the daughter of Saul, had no child unto the day of her death.
Sons = zero

II Samuel 21:8: The five sons of Michal, the daughter of Saul.
Sons = 5

Rather then quickly assume the Bible is in error, I think it is important to remember the Bible does not give explanatory details for every event.
The most widely accepted explanation is that these were the sons of Michal’s sister Merab, who married Adriel. Likely, Merab died early, and childless Michal brought up the boys.

the killer of Saul?
I Samuel 31:4: Then said Saul unto his armourbearer, Draw thy sword, and thrust me through therewith; lest these uncircumcised come and thrust me through, and abuse me. But his armourbearer would not; for he was sore afraid. Therefore Saul took a sword, and fell upon it.
Saul committed suicide.

II Samuel 1:8-10: And he (Saul) said unto me, Who art thou? And I answered him, I am an Amalekite. He said unto me again, Stand, I pray thee, upon me, and slay me: for anguish is come upon me, because my life is yet whole in me. So I stood upon him, and slew him, because I was sure that he could not live after that he was fallen: and I took the crown that was upon his head, and the bracelet that was on his arm, and have brought them hither unto my lord.
Saul was killed by the Amalekite.

This is a good example of trying to find contradictions that are not there. 1 Samuel 31:4 contains the factual account of how Saul died. The claim by the Amalekite that he had killed Saul was obviously a lie; one he thought would curry favor from David but that cost him his life.

And because they do they constitute Biblical errors.

So, where is the mistake in my claim?

See my comments.

sealchan

In an Answer in Genesis article writer Simon Turpin says:

"The relationship between the inspiration of the biblical text through the Holy Spirit and human authorship is too intimate to allow for errors in the text. In the same way that Jesus can assume our full humanity without sin, so it is that God can speak through the fully human words of prophets and apostles without error.
source

Which I take as, "No, scripture does not contain errors because it was written by humans." So, one is compelled to ask, "Then just how have its errors arisen?"

Anyone care to take a stab?

IMO the whole notion of errors is mistaken because of the overly literalistic attitude of so many believers. The Bible is not history, it is more a literary and mythological statement of Jewish faith which took inspiration from the literature and myth of other cultures.

When one reads a literary work, one does not look at it as if it were a mathematical proof. The truth of the work in always understood in the context of the author, his/her life and culture, etc. Errors are but leaves on the tree of the knowledge of the truth of such things.

Skwim

Veteran Member
When one reads a literary work, one does not look at it as if it were a mathematical proof.
Yes one does. At least a lot of people do with the Bible.

PRINCETON, NJ -- Three in 10 Americans interpret the Bible literally, saying it is the actual word of God.
source

The truth of the work in always understood in the context of the author, his/her life and culture, etc.
So what is done with its errors? To me they indicate that nothing in the Bible can be taken as certain. All its text should be under suspicion.

moorea944

"The relationship between the inspiration of the biblical text through the Holy Spirit and human authorship is too intimate to allow for errors in the text. In the same way that Jesus can assume our full humanity without sin, so it is that God can speak through the fully human words of prophets and apostles without error.
source

Which I take as, "No, scripture does not contain errors because it was written by humans." So, one is compelled to ask, "Then just how have its errors arisen?"

First...... what do you mean by errors..... Translation errors? The bible does have errors in it, not by God, but by the translators. We know that by examining the org text with the English copy. Not many, but a few. We also know that from the 1947ish Dead Sea scrolls.

God does not make errors. He is always right in what He does, even if we dont understand it. Who are we to say God is wrong and it should be this way or that way....

The only errors in scripture are the ones done by the translators.

We have to remember that ALL scripture is inspired by God, meaning, man did write down the words of the bible, but it was God working through man.

Skwim

Veteran Member
First...... what do you mean by errors..... Translation errors?
In as much as both of the following statements can't be true, one or both are in error.

Ahaziah was 22

Ahzaiah was 42

The bible does have errors in it, not by God, but by the translators.
Nice to see people admit it. Not so nice is when they exonerate god as the culprit with nothing more than a say so.

We know that by examining the org text with the English copy. Not many, but a few. We also know that from the 1947ish Dead Sea scrolls.
God does not make errors. He is always right in what He does, even if we dont understand it. Who are we to say God is wrong and it should be this way or that way....
Seeing that god has tacitly admitted to having made mistakes,

1 Samuel 15:11 NIV
11 “I regret that I have made Saul king, because he has turned away from me and has not carried out my instructions.”
and

Genesis 6:6
And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.​

for example, he's lost his text exempt status. Sorry.

The only errors in scripture are the ones done by the translators.
"Prove" it. Show us the evidence that the difference between 2 Kings 8:26: and 2 Chronicles 22:2 is not god's mistake. And FYI, neither of these passages were preserved in the Dead Sea Scrolls.

But regardless of who was responsible for the mistake, they taint the Bible with error. Error, which as I've pointed out, indicates that nothing in the Bible can be taken as certain. All its text should be under suspicion, no matter how much one likes it or is comforted by it.

Last edited:

moorea944

In as much as both of the following statements can't be true, one or both are in error.

Ahaziah was 22

Ahzaiah was 42

Nice to see people admit it. Not so nice is when they exonerate god as the culprit with nothing more than say so.

Seeing that god has tacitly admitted to having made mistakes,

1 Samuel 15:11 NIV
11 “I regret that I have made Saul king, because he has turned away from me and has not carried out my instructions.”
and

Genesis 6:6
And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.​

for example, he's lost his text exempt status. Sorry.

"Prove" it. Show us the evidence that the difference between 2 Kings 8:26: and 2 Chronicles 22:2 is not god's mistake. And FYI, neither of these passages were preserved in the Dead Sea Scrolls.

But regardless of who was responsible for the mistake, they taint the Bible with error. Error, which as I've pointed out, indicates that nothing in the Bible can be taken as certain. All its text should be under suspicion, no matter how much one likes it or is comforted by it.

Wow, strong words!! I see an angry person at life. Are you angry at God for something? Did your life not turn out the way you wanted it to be so your blaming God? Hmmm, seems like it. To say all text should be under suspicion is awful. But if that brings you happiness and comfort, peace to you... I guess....

Skwim

Veteran Member
Wow, strong words!! I see an angry person at life. Are you angry at God for something? Did your life not turn out the way you wanted it to be so your blaming God? Hmmm, seems like it. To say all text should be under suspicion is awful. But if that brings you happiness and comfort, peace to you... I guess....
Ah ha, a scatter shot of ad homs. How curious. Usually I don't vex people this much. :thumbsup: To me.

Last edited:

moorea944

Says the same scriptures that note that all humans are corrupt and untrustworthy and vile and ...?

Can you show me a verse that says that "all humans are corrupt and untrustworthy and vile and...." Not seeing that one.......

Plus, are you saying that all scripture is NOT inspired by God? Just curious......

omega2xx

source

Care to give an example? You may not understand the verse

Kelly of the Phoenix

Can you show me a verse that says that "all humans are corrupt and untrustworthy and vile and...." Not seeing that one.......

Plus, are you saying that all scripture is NOT inspired by God? Just curious......
It's not all inspired by God. The OT is mostly a church vs state (or temple vs state) back and forth between monarchists and the prophets they just took political power from. The NT is about gentiles doing the same thing to Jews.

The bible is Fox News: might have an accurate story every once in awhile, but it exists primarily to satiate the delusional people who think violence will restore a theological and racial purity that never existed.

moorea944

It's not all inspired by God. The OT is mostly a church vs state (or temple vs state) back and forth between monarchists and the prophets they just took political power from. The NT is about gentiles doing the same thing to Jews.

The bible is Fox News: might have an accurate story every once in awhile, but it exists primarily to satiate the delusional people who think violence will restore a theological and racial purity that never existed.

All scripture is inspired by God. Are you saying that the bible is wrong? Or God is wrong?

omega2xx

The violence since Trump's election has come from the left, not the right. You know, that group that preaches acceptance of all views, unless they are different than the views of the left. Your statement abut the OT and the NT shows you have absolutely no understanding of them.

Kelly of the Phoenix

All scripture is inspired by God. Are you saying that the bible is wrong? Or God is wrong?
All scripture is inspired by God, so sayeth humans and never God. God told me humans wrote the bible. This fact can be verified as even traditional yet mythological authors associated with books are all human beings. God didn't lie to me. Humans can. I have heard way too many people say God has to do whatever the bible says that I can no longer stomach such rank idolatry and blasphemy.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
We have to remember that ALL scripture is inspired by God, meaning, man did write down the words of the bible, but it was God working through man.
Yeah, at that time God did not have computers or printing facilities. Had to carve it in stone.