• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Human Error Isn't the Cause, Then Where Do Scriptural Errors Come from?

Skwim

Veteran Member
In an Answer in Genesis article writer Simon Turpin says:

"The relationship between the inspiration of the biblical text through the Holy Spirit and human authorship is too intimate to allow for errors in the text. In the same way that Jesus can assume our full humanity without sin, so it is that God can speak through the fully human words of prophets and apostles without error.
source

Which I take as, "No, scripture does not contain errors because it was written by humans." So, one is compelled to ask, "Then just how have its errors arisen?"

Anyone care to take a stab?

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
"Then just how have its errors arisen?"
Freaks of nature, so when the scrolls were on the table a splodge of rain fell on a letter, and it got removed; whilst at the same time, it caused the glue to stick a whole section in by accident. ;)

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
In an Answer in Genesis article writer Simon Turpin says:

"The relationship between the inspiration of the biblical text through the Holy Spirit and human authorship is too intimate to allow for errors in the text. In the same way that Jesus can assume our full humanity without sin, so it is that God can speak through the fully human words of prophets and apostles without error.
source

Which I take as, "No, scripture does not contain errors because it was written by humans." So, one is compelled to ask, "Then just how have its errors arisen?"

Anyone care to take a stab?

Even God makes mistakes.

Way, way back, God (who actually never existed) decided to hire someone to explain what it was all about to the beings he had created, so they wouldn't start making stuff up.
Being a little short on cash, after creating his very expensive universe, he sought out the cheapest angel he could find. He offered the angel minimum wage, and told him to take it or leave it.
Unfortunately, the angel took on the job, and descended from the heavens, to spread the Word.

The angel set about his job...
He smashed up a few rocks and fashioned them into stone tablets, before carving out the story, for posterity.
When he was done, he smashed up a few more rocks and built a rudimentary analog spell-checker, from granite and bones, checked the texts, and started over, carving out the story, but spelled right, this time.

Only then did he realize it was the wrong story. So, undeterred, and patient as only an angel can be, he started all over again. By and by, he was done. Except for one thing. He forgot all about the rudimentary analog spell-checker...

On such details, hinge the fate of worlds.

The angel departed for heaven, smiling gormlessly, his job done.
Time passed, and one day a primitive human discovered the stone tablets, and sat down to read.
Some time later, he leaped up and down, spoke in tongues, groveled in the dirt, beat himself black and blue, fashioned for himself a suit of sackcloth and ashes, and trotted joyfully off to spread the good news.

Meanwhile, back in heaven, the foolish angel sought out his employer, to receive payment for his labors.
His employer, being God (who actually never existed), and being utterly perfect in every way, remembered the importance of checking his employee's work, before handing over the cash...

"Speakest thou, my lesser creation, unto me", he intoned, in a voice of thunder.
"Tellest to mine ear, whattest thou hast written, that my dearly beloved children might understandest mine own glory".

Those may not have been God's (who never actually existed) words, but nobody actually knows the real words that were used. So bear with me, here.

"As thou commandest me, mine Holy Master", replied the flying fool: "So shall I obey..."
He cleared his throat, took a deep breath, and began...

"In the beginning, there was the Word. And the Word was God..."
The heavens thundered and the lightning flashed, as God (who never actually existed) flew into a rage...

"Thou Blithering IDIOT!" Cried The Lord, as mountains turned to dust, in His Righteous Wrath.
"Thou utter, total, FOOL!"
It began to dawn upon the angel that something might be wrong.
"Knowest thou not," The Holy Father bellowed, "that my name is GOOD???"

And there it was.
As they say: You get what you pay for.
The first typo in history, and it changed the course of everything that was to follow.
Imagine how religion might have gone, had every instance of the word "God" been replaced with "Good".

So tread carefully, young Fool.
Know thine power, both for GOOD and for bad.
Author's note: The Author is not responsible for any errors that may exist in this document, for he is a Fool, and is the first to admit it.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
The idea of an inerrant scripture is interesting because it is so easy to demonstrate false.

Scriptures are just text. They are only as good as the ability of people to interpret them and lend them meaning.

The idea of some form of inherently correct scripture could make for a fascinating fantasy world for some form of story. But it would not be a real world story.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I'm not saying he's a friend of mine nor am I saying he's not a friend of mine, nor am I saying anything about his existence or non-existence but clearly if there appears to be an error in the text where there is none, the devil must be at work.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I'm not saying he's a friend of mine nor am I saying he's not a friend of mine, nor am I saying anything about his existence or non-existence but clearly if there appears to be an error in the text where there is none, the devil must be at work.
How about where there appears to be an error there actually is an error? Or is this so unthinkable as to be an impossibility? It must be rejected out of hand without further consideration.

I take it this is pretty much your position: if you see it, it isn't what you actually see. Or some such thing. :shrug:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
How about where there appears to be an error there actually is an error? Or is this so unthinkable as to be an impossibility? It must be rejected out of hand without further consideration.

I take it this is pretty much your position: if you see it, it isn't what you actually see. Or some such thing. :shrug:

I was responding to the OP which postulated that there was no error and asked if so where does the error come from. I was not giving my own opinion which is that the Bible, being written by people and modified over the centuries has many errors in it.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Even God makes mistakes.
He sure does.

Genesis 6:6
The LORD regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled.

1 Samuel 15: 10-11
10 Then the word of the LORD came to Samuel:
11 “I regret that I have made Saul king, because he has turned away from me and has not carried out my instructions.”
Samuel was angry, and he cried out to the LORD all that night.

Exodus32:14
14 And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I was responding to the OP which postulated that there was no error and asked if so where does the error come from. I was not giving my own opinion which is that the Bible, being written by people and modified over the centuries has many errors in it.
Thank you for the clarification. :thumbsup:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Thankfully, our scriptures were not written by prophets or by Gods themselves, though people believe that way. Our scriptures have been added to, subtracted, revised, versified; but still contain gems of wisdom from which we can benefit.

pearl

Various denominations vary as to meaning of inerrancy.
Catholic position the Bible, taken as the whole, is without error, but the Bible does contain errors, from human limitations, culture.

jonathan180iq

source

Confirmation bias - Wikipedia
Circular reasoning - Wikipedia

*A note to the pious browsing this thread - AIG is a horrible source for your apologetics. They're almost openly dishonest in their editorials and studies, FWIW.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Scriptures are just text. They are only as good as the ability of people to interpret them and lend them meaning.
Well said, imo.

Let me just add my 2 cents (ok, maybe it's only 1 cent) by my leaning in the direction that religious texts are generally honest attempts by people trying to know and understand God(s) and applying that to everyday lives.

rusra02

Premium Member
IMO, the error is not in what the Holy Scriptures say, but in what people mistakenly claim the Holy Scriptures say. (John 17:17)

Skwim

Veteran Member
IMO, the error is not in what the Holy Scriptures say, but in what people mistakenly claim the Holy Scriptures say. (John 17:17)
Okay.

The error in the Bible is the tacit assertion that the statements comprising each pair below are true.

I, Skwim
Claim the following scriptures contradict each other
The age of Ahaziah when he began to reign
2 Kings 8:26: Two and twenty years old was Ahaziah when he began to reign.
Ahaziah was 22

2 Chronicles 22:2: Fourty and two years old was Ahaziah when he began to reign.
Ahzaiah was 42

The children of Michal
II Samuel 6:23: Therefore Michal, the daughter of Saul, had no child unto the day of her death.
Sons = zero

II Samuel 21:8: The five sons of Michal, the daughter of Saul.
Sons = 5

the killer of Saul?
I Samuel 31:4: Then said Saul unto his armourbearer, Draw thy sword, and thrust me through therewith; lest these uncircumcised come and thrust me through, and abuse me. But his armourbearer would not; for he was sore afraid. Therefore Saul took a sword, and fell upon it.
Saul committed suicide.

II Samuel 1:8-10: And he (Saul) said unto me, Who art thou? And I answered him, I am an Amalekite. He said unto me again, Stand, I pray thee, upon me, and slay me: for anguish is come upon me, because my life is yet whole in me. So I stood upon him, and slew him, because I was sure that he could not live after that he was fallen: and I took the crown that was upon his head, and the bracelet that was on his arm, and have brought them hither unto my lord.
Saul was killed by the Amalekite.
And because they do they constitute Biblical errors.

So, where is the mistake in my claim?