• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Hong Kong is dirty and expensive why don't people go to Seoul or Tokyo instead?

ronki23

It's my dream to visit South Korea and Japan. I was told Hong Kong is dirty and expensive so why not go Seoul or Tokyo?

I'm not going to Hong Kong but if I were I'd also do Macau and Taiwan. Apparently Taipei is cleaner and cheaper than Hong Kong too.

I'm not going to Hong Kong because of bad experiences with Mainlanders and Taiwanese at grad school. Now I know you'll say Hong Kong is different but from undergrad my so-called friend cut contact with me and he's a policeman there. So if he doesn't want to know me why should I go there if ALL these Chinese hate me?

Koreans and Japanese are much cooler than Chinese

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
It's my dream to visit South Korea and Japan. I was told Hong Kong is dirty and expensive so why not go Seoul or Tokyo?

I'm not going to Hong Kong but if I were I'd also do Macau and Taiwan. Apparently Taipei is cleaner and cheaper than Hong Kong too.

I'm not going to Hong Kong because of bad experiences with Mainlanders and Taiwanese at grad school. Now I know you'll say Hong Kong is different but from undergrad my so-called friend cut contact with me and he's a policeman there. So if he doesn't want to know me why should I go there if ALL these Chinese hate me?

Koreans and Japanese are much cooler than Chinese
It's my experience that the Chinese people in and of themselves are perfectly fine, welcoming and readily share of themselves and their culture. But the situation changes when they're plugged into a bureaucratic or governmental context; they're heavily restricted in terms of what they can do by the Communist authorities, and businesses need to adapt quickly to the demands of the government.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
My mum just got back from China. She had a severe fall, and was very well looked after, including time at a Chinese Military hospital.

It proves nothing, but I suspect there is variance amongst the one and a half billion Chinese in terms of who they like and how they act.

My parents were also generally impressed with the cleanliness of the cities.

I mean, these are massive Asian cities, so you need to be realistic (sewerage is an issue), but I wouldn't get too put off by hearsay.