• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

if God were real...?

Question -
If God were real ... and If we were all created by this God ...and if he was good and if he loved all the people that he created and his intentions and motives were perfect and He had our best interest in mind, would you follow him? And Why? if you don't mind

Milton Platt

Question -
If God were real ... and If we were all created by this God ...and if he was good and if he loved all the people that he created and his intentions and motives were perfect and He had our best interest in mind, would you follow him? And Why? if you don't mind

That does not appear to be the case, so no need to speculate. Kinda like speculating what you would do if the moon were made of green cheese......

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Question -
What does it mean to "follow him"? And why is it a "him" automatically because it's a creator? Why not a she?

Let me as you a question -
If God were real ... and If we were all created by this God ...and if she was good and if she loved all the people that she created and her intentions and motives were perfect and She had our best interest in mind, would you follow her? And Why?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Question -
My thought is that ideal is what does exist now and our perspective may just be off. At this stage people see life not as eternal but as beginning at physical birth and ending at physical death. From that limited perspective we can not appreciate the grand play/drama of God.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Question -
Well.

There would have to be real interaction as opposed to hearsay to even support and lend creedence for things like best intentions, best interest, good etc.

No point or bother in following a God that refuses to interact and communicate, real or not.

Question -
Some of these concepts are incoherent, so I can't really answer. What is a "perfect motive"? If he created me, what did my parents do, and theirs? And theirs? I don't remember him say, teaching me to read or showing me how the world works..that was other people. If you mean created a mating pair a thousand generations ago, that's pretty far removed from me. Why should I care?

So that leaves some being harbouring unrequited love for me from afar, which is really more creepy than anything.

If anything, he should be following me.

If, which I assume you do, you mean the egomaniacal childlike intelligence described in your special book..then no.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Question -
If God were real ... and If we were all created by this God ...and if he was good and if he loved all the people that he created and his intentions and motives were perfect and He had our best interest in mind, would you follow him? And Why?
If I knew God were real. Were? .......If I know God is real. I do. and if we were all created by God. I can not believe this because some people are born to good, rich and wise parents and some people are born to sick jerks. .....I believe God is good. I believe God loves every living thing. I believe God's intentions are A ok. Are motives different than intentions? I think God has the best interest in mind for creation. Would I follow him? Where's he going?

Milton Platt

What specifically in your life leads you to say God does not appear to exist?

Lack of empirical evidence and a great deal of evidence that suggests that a god does not exist. 100% certainty? No....nothing is 100%. But high enough probability to not bother.

Perhaps this is not the place for this discussion, though. I see this is in "Religious debates" and I don't often post in this section. I am not a rude person and do not have an issue with those who wish to discuss religious topics. I apologize for the intrusion.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Question -

To tell you honestly, if it were any god that has those traits, I would befriend him. I would not follow him.

If you are talking about the Christian god, no I would not befriend nor follow him. He has traits that I distaste; and, they cannot be overlooked based on his good ones.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Question -
My thought is the same as that of Ouroboros. What do you mean by "follow him"?

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
Lack of empirical evidence and a great deal of evidence that suggests that a god does not exist. 100% certainty? No....nothing is 100%. But high enough probability to not bother.

Perhaps this is not the place for this discussion, though. I see this is in "Religious debates" and I don't often post in this section. I am not a rude person and do not have an issue with those who wish to discuss religious topics. I apologize for the intrusion.

Empirical evidence, also known as sense experience, is the knowledge or source of knowledge acquired by means of the senses, particularly by observation and experimentation.

Faith: that which can neither be proven nor disproved.
Got that???
FAITH does not lend itself to empirical evidence.
Do you not understand that?
I can have all the FAITH imaginable that the Cleveland Browns will win the next
Super Bowl but that probably will not happen.
Ego why I don't bet on football games.
Why I don't gamble at all. (any longer)
A couple trips to Vegas thought me expensive lessons.
Those trips were super fun however.

So how does one ask "God" to prove anything?
One either has faith or one does not.
For me it's a choice. I choose to believe ergo I believe.
I could not be an atheist. To me that makes for a hopeless life.
I'm in recovery from a hopeless state of body and mind and attend A.A. meetings.
If there are confirmed atheist in recovery they either come to believe or they
relapse with all the problems associated with a life based on self will run riot.
I've met sober alcoholics that refused to believe in a Power greater than
themselves and they were miserable people free of alcohol but not
free of the ism.
Get that?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Not a trick question. Asking, because I don't know what you meant by that.
Oh. Yeah. Sometimes I'm bothered when someone ask about what they think of god and it ends up turning to a Christian view, and then put down on the god of the bible, etc. Maybe there should be a more distinct word for god unless the OP means any.

Sorry. Edited.

Last edited:

Etritonakin

Question -

As we are all new beings, it is understandable that we ask "Who is this God that we should follow him?"

All Lucifer and Adam and Eve had to go by was God's word.
They did not truly know him.

They knew only good.
They did not know good AND evil -and they didn't understand the nature of the creation well enough to accept or understand the necessity of God's government.
They did not know what could go wrong or how.
They needed a reality check.

Allowing us to not follow him and to gain experience will lead to our choosing to follow him, because we will have lived what happens otherwise.

He (not that he has gender, as such), will solve all of the problems the world ever had -and he will be accepted.
Anything else will no longer be a temptation.

6That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside me. I am the LORD, and there is none else.
7I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Question -
That's all very well and deeply amusing, but sadly, I am not a follower. Never have been. Never will be. I do like Rammstein though. Does not count?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Question -
If all that were true, the world would look very different.

And I notice that you didn't mention anything about knowing about this god. If I don't know he's there, I wouldn't follow him no matter how nice he is.

BTW: what would be the consequences for not following (however you define this term) the god you describe?