• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If God probably don't exist!

Farrukh

I was watching The Deen Show yesterday when a Religious scholar said, if Atheist are correct and there is probably no God in existence, then as Atheist die, we will die. there is no problem for us.
But if we are correct, then they are doomed.
In both cases, we are on safe side :)
and i think he was making sense.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
That's called Pascal's Wager and it's a joke. Why believe in something out of fear of future punishment? You think that's something that's acceptable to your god?

Skwim

Veteran Member
I was watching The Deen Show yesterday when a Religious scholar said, if Atheist are correct and there is probably no God in existence, then as Atheist die, we will die. there is no problem for us.
Thing is, atheists don't say "there is probably no God,"but rather "there is no god."

Yup

So where does the safety come from if the atheists are right?

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Many conservative Christians believe Muslims go to hell because they don't accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior.

There is no safe metaphysical side with tribalistic competing worldviews.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
not just the punishment, there is everlasting paradise for good people:).
Actually I don't think good people would enjoy a universe in which so many people are in endless torment. To know of that, would not be paradise.

I think that would by definition make them, "not good", by any reasonable definition, unless, "good" would mean apathetic, unsympathetic, and willing to worship the application of infinite malevolence.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Doomed? As in "destined to die"? Sure.

How that makes atheism any worse than theism, I have no idea.

As others have no doubt pointed out by now, Pascal's Wager is simply not a respectable "argument". If it is an argument at all.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Richard Dawkins literally paid money to help advertise the phrase, "There's probably no god" on buses in Britain.

So yeah, some atheists do say there probably is no God.
You're quite right. Dawkins seems to pull his punch and allows for "de facto atheists" (how he regards himself)---his privilege for sure.

1. "De facto atheist. Very low probability, but short of zero. "I don't know for certain but I think God is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not there."
  2. Strong atheist.' I know there is no God, with the same conviction as Jung knows there is one.' "
Source: Dawkins, Richard (2006). The God Delusion. Bantam Books. p. 50

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You're quite right. Dawkins seems to pull his punch and allows for "de facto atheists" (how he regards himself)---his privilege for sure.

1. "De facto atheist. Very low probability, but short of zero. "I don't know for certain but I think God is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not there."
  2. Strong atheist.' I know there is no God, with the same conviction as Jung knows there is one.' "
Source: Dawkins, Richard (2006). The God Delusion. Bantam Books. p. 50
Atheist means not theist, linguistically. He's not a theist. It doesn't have anything to do with pulling punches.

Your statement that, "Thing is, atheists don't say "there is probably no God,"but rather "there is no god."" is not correct, because rather few atheists will say that they can fully falsify all god concepts, because that would mean proving a negative, or actually, proving an infinite number of negatives.

Most atheists, including on this forum, will say something along the lines of they don't believe in gods because they don't see evidence for them and in some cases see evidence against many of them.

Tiberius

The fact is that if you believe in God in order to escape eternal punishment OR to gain an infinite reward, then you are still believing for selfish reasons. I can't believe that any decent god would be happy with that.

Farrukh

The fact is that if you believe in God in order to escape eternal punishment OR to gain an infinite reward, then you are still believing for selfish reasons. I can't believe that any decent god would be happy with that.

Scholars say there are three reasons for believers to avoid bad or adopt good.
1. fear of hell fire
2. love of paradise
3. love of God
and 3rd category will be highest in ranking.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Atheist means not theist, linguistically. He's not a theist.
And just what is a theist?
theist (ˈθiːɪst)
n
1. (Theology) a person who believes in the doctrine of theism (the·ism: n.Belief in the existence of a god or gods, especially belief in a personal God as creator and ruler of the world.)

2. (Theology) a person who believes in the existence of God or g
So an atheist would be
a·the·ist (ā′thē-ĭst)n. One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods.

Not one who says there's a "Very low probability, but short of zero." BUT One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods.

It doesn't have anything to do with pulling punches.
And I say this is exactly what it is. Disagree? Fine, but I stand by my characterization.

Your statement that, "Thing is, atheists don't say "there is probably no God,"but rather "there is no god."" is not correct, because rather few atheists will say that they can fully falsify all god concepts, because that would mean proving a negative, or actually, proving an infinite number of negatives.
Please don't do this. Please don't recharacterize my comment as something else. Of course few atheists will say that they can fully falsify all god concepts, because this is not the basis of atheism. But rather go into the why's---I'm getting a bit tired right now--- I'll let you figure it out

Most atheists, including on this forum, will say something along the lines of they don't believe in gods because they don't see evidence for them and in some cases see evidence against many of them.
Yup.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Besides the obvious which has been pointed out, you're also not considering the implications and possible consequences in this life for the beliefs you embrace.