• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If God is omnipresent, then He not only exists, but exists everywhere?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
You statement is an 'if...then..' statement. The definition of omnipresent makes your statement true. But, of course, you need to establish the 'if' clause: how do you show God is omnipresent?

questfortruth

You statement is an 'if...then..' statement. The definition of omnipresent makes your statement true. But, of course, you need to establish the 'if' clause: how do you show God is omnipresent?
Any Science and logic needs definitions. If to define God as an omnipresent thing, then He must exist and exist everythere.

Last edited:

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Any Science and logic needs definitions. If to define God as an omnipresent thing, then He must exist and exist everythere.

No, definitions do not bring anything into existence. You still need to show that there is an omnipresent being.All you can say is ' if God exists, then God is onmipresent and so exists everywhere'.

wellwisher

There is logic, consistent with science, for the state of being omnipresent. This is connected to the Einstein's theory of Special Relativity; STR. In STR, velocity causes our perception of space and time to change. At the model's limit, at the speed of light, the universe would appear as though contained in a point-instant.

If we assume the tradition of spirit and God being analogous to light, and therefore existing in a speed of light reference, God would see our universe like it was a point. This means that our entire universe can be seen at the same time, since it appears to be only a point, allowing God to be omnipresent.

In physics, special relativity (SR, also known as the special theory of relativity or STR) is the generally accepted and experimentally well-confirmed physical theory regarding the relationship between space and time. In Albert Einstein's original pedagogical treatment, it is based on two postulates:

1. The laws of physics are invariant (i.e., identical) in all inertial systems (i.e., non-accelerating frames of reference).
  2. The speed of light in a vacuum is the same for all observers, regardless of the motion of the light source.

If you wish to do the math you plug into the Lorentz Factor. This is for time but distance or space uses the
same factor. As v approaches c, we divide by zero and gamma become infinite; eternal.

Time-Dilation-Formula-and-Lorentz-Factor.jpg

Last edited:

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
That is what the word omnipresent means, but I could say the same thing about a grilled cheese sandwich. If this grilled cheese sandwich is omnipresent, it not only exists, but exists everywhere. You are merely assuming that God is omnipresent. You aren't actually supporting any argument that he is.

Precisely. If I define a gandwich to be a onmipresent sandwich, that in no way implies the actual existence of a gandwich.

HonestJoe

You’ve been picked up on this dishonest wordplay in the past so it’s disappointing to see you trying it again.

Someone defining a concept does not automatically mean they believe that concept represents a real thing. I define Superman as the last son of Krypton but that doesn’t mean I think Superman actually exists.

questfortruth

You’ve been picked up on this dishonest wordplay in the past so it’s disappointing to see you trying it again.

Someone defining a concept does not automatically mean they believe that concept represents a real thing. I define Superman as the last son of Krypton but that doesn’t mean I think Superman actually exists.
Be simple, please look at the Theorem of Philosophy:
An omnipresent thing must exist, and exist everywhere. Thus, there is an omnipresent thing out there.

Analogous theorem is:
An omniscient thing must know own existence, so, in Science there is knowledge of existence of an omniscient thing. It is easy to be omniscient and omnipotent, if you would be omnipresent.
Thus, there is omniscient thing out there.

Opponent: "I can think of my pencil (or superman) becoming omnipresent. But my pencil is not God. So, you are debunked."

The supermen and a pencil are not omnipresent ones in the stories. The omnipresent one is God of the Bible.

Last edited: