• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If God is omnipresent, He is also in hell.

robo

Does this bother theists who believe in an eternal hell? If not, why not?:shrug:

Last edited:

punkdbass

I will be what I will be
No because in Judaism we don't believe in a fiery hell of eternal torture.

But it's interesting that even the Psalmist says, "and if I descend to Sheol(place that the idea of hell is derived from), you are there also" - Psalm 139:8.

But even if there was some sort of hellish place with Satan punishing people, Satan would be entirely under God's command, as we believe he is.

robo

No because in Judaism we don't believe in a fiery hell of eternal torture.

(1)What does your afterlife consist of?
(2)If your God is in hell (whether it is fiery or eternal or neither), he is still in hell, no?

Last edited:

robo

God's presence in hell doesn't mean that s/he suffers from the conditions imposed by hell.

If so, it would mean that even now here on earth, God does not suffer when we suffer, yes? If God does not suffer when we suffer, how can he be omni-benevolent/scient or even a personal God?

Or is it that God ''knows'' our suffering but the knowledge does not cause him one bit of distress?

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Does this bother theists who believe in an eternal hell? If not, why not?:shrug:
No.
For one, I don't believe in a Hell concept.
In addition, Hell can go beyond "fire and brimstone and paiiin!" sermons.
Also, even if God was "in Hell" as in the fire and brimstone place, the idea that God was being tortured, for example, would not apply. Instead, I would take "God is also in Hell" to mean that everyone, even the damned (which isn't a concept I believe), have the opportunity of accepting God and going to Heaven should they truly desire it.

There's many other ways of taking such a thing. :)

BruceDLimber

>If God is omnipresent, He is also in hell.

Not true because you're ignoring the definition of hell!:

Hell is defined as spiritual separation from God (and Heaven as spiritual nearness).

Thus by definition one there is far from God, as other scriptures also indicate. Here's just one example:

"O SON OF BEING!
"Love me that I may love thee. If thou lovest Me not, My love can in no wise reach thee. Know this, O servant."
--The Hidden Words, Part One, #5

And BTW, both exist here and now as well as after death.

Peace, :)

Bruce

Some religions define hell as "a place without God". Here's where there's argument. It might be that hell provides a control condition in the experiment of existence. There might have to be a place without God to realize the presence of God everywhere else.

robo

Not true because you're ignoring the definition of hell!:

Hell is defined as spiritual separation from God (and Heaven as spiritual nearness).

So, your God is not omnipresent. Why is your God limited in space? Does he have a form?

Ah...ETA...So, in your religion, hell is not a physical place, right? It is a "state of consciousness"?

Last edited:

robo

Some religions define hell as "a place without God". Here's where there's argument. It might be that hell provides a control condition in the experiment of existence. There might have to be a place without God to realize the presence of God everywhere else.

So, your God is not omnipresent. Why is your God limited in space? Does he have a form?

Aquitaine

You are quite correct in your assertion, robo. If "God" is omnipotent, then not only does he reside in Hell, but he's also controlling "Satan" - since "God" actually created "Satan" and Hell etc.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
If so, it would mean that even now here on earth, God does not suffer when we suffer, yes? If God does not suffer when we suffer, how can he be omni-benevolent/scient or even a personal God?

Or is it that God ''knows'' our suffering but the knowledge does not cause him one bit of distress?

You are pre-supposing an Abrahamic view of God. Hindus do not believe in Hell, nor does God 'control' things. There are two Hindu views of God (Brahman): Brahman with qualities, attributes and Brahman without qualities, attributes. Brahman is immanent in, and transcends the universe(s).

chinu

chinu
Like.. Water which is preasent in both milk and as well as wine, but without giving any effect to the water which is preasent in both these things, Milk and wine gives different effects on human body.

Similarly.. God is preasent in both hell and heaven, but without giving any effect to the god which is preasent in both these places, Heaven and Hell gives different effects.:)

Aquitaine

Like.. Water which is preasent in both milk and as well as wine, but without giving any effect to the water which is preasent in both these things, Milk and wine gives different effects on human body.

Similarly.. God is preasent in both hell and heaven, but without giving any effect to the god which is preasent in both these places, Heaven and Hell gives different effects.:)

I'm confused - using your metaphor, are you saying that Water in Wine/Milk doesn't affect the actual Wine/Milk that it's in? As in it's basically a non-reactive ingredient in both?

In what I've learned, God is omnipotent/present but he does not reside in Hell because Hell is a complete separation from God's love; but this does not mean that he isn't everywhere because Heaven, Earth, and Hell are on multiple different "planes" (how else could and imperfect world, a "perfect" place full of God's love, and a realm fully detached from His love exist?) now I haven't thought about how he could be omnipresent but still be detached from Hell for very long but my five minute answer would be that He could still be residing over Hell (not in) but His love is no where to be found. Also, if this is hard/impossible to believe, then good! We can't fully understand these things; it's impossible to explain these things.

chinu

chinu
I'm confused - using your metaphor, are you saying that Water in Wine/Milk doesn't affect the actual Wine/Milk that it's in? As in it's basically a non-reactive ingredient in both?
Am saying.. Milk/wine which is preasent in water, doesn't affect the water in which they are made. :)

robo

Also, if this is hard/impossible to believe, then good! We can't fully understand these things; it's impossible to explain these things.

Well, let me be the first to welcome you to RF, Capin.

I like your honesty in the quote above.

Frubes 4 u although you seem a theist. ;)

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
In what I've learned, God is omnipotent/present but he does not reside in Hell because Hell is a complete separation from God's love; but this does not mean that he isn't everywhere because Heaven, Earth, and Hell are on multiple different "planes" (how else could and imperfect world, a "perfect" place full of God's love, and a realm fully detached from His love exist?) now I haven't thought about how he could be omnipresent but still be detached from Hell for very long but my five minute answer would be that He could still be residing over Hell (not in) but His love is no where to be found. Also, if this is hard/impossible to believe, then good! We can't fully understand these things; it's impossible to explain these things.

Hi, welcome to RF.

May I ask what faith/religion you follow?