• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If God exists, would God care how many people believe in Him?

Bird123

This post is for both believers and atheists:
  • Believers: Do you think God cares how many people believe in Him?
  • Atheists: If God existed, do you think God would care how many people believe in Him?
Believers and atheists:
  • Do you think God cares if some people are atheists?
  • If God sent Messengers, would God care how many people believed in His Messengers?
  • If God sent a Messenger, would God have a certain time frame on how soon afterward people believed in His Messenger?

Believing has never ever been important to God. Think for a moment. What purpose would it serve for God to care how many people believe in Him? On the other hand Believing is crucial to religion. Without believers, religion would have no followers. Without followers, religion could not exist.

If God cared about how many believers He had, God would be making it all about God. The only purpose could be to feed His Ego. One who acts to feed their Ego has many lessons to learn. God would come up lacking on that account. Not going to happen.

As I see it, all those holy books come up lacking as well. Those holy books reflect mankind since they were written by mankind. Their view of God comes up lacking as well since their view of God is as they want God to be rather than what actually exists.

Maybe instead of accepting blindly, one should question religion's view of God in order to Discover what does not add up, like the believer question.

Perhaps one should also question what about religion's view of God that keeps one there. This could bring insight into oneself.

As I see it, everything about God will add up. I think that is a good base to keep one on the path to the truth rather than sidetracked to beliefs and away from God.

lukethethird

unknown member
  • Atheists: If God existed, do you think God would care how many people believe in Him?
Believers and atheists:
  • If God sent Messengers, would God care how many people believed in His Messengers?
  • If God sent a Messenger, would God have a certain time frame on how soon afterward people believed in His Messenger?
God cares tremendously, I have no doubts that He cries Himself to sleep every night worrying about atheists. I know I would if I was God.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
God cares tremendously, I have no doubts that He cries Himself to sleep every night worrying about atheists. I know I would if I was God.
I am sure God cares about atheists just as much as God cares about believers... Whether God id worried or not we cannot know.

"How ignorant therefore the thought that God who created man, educated and nurtured him, surrounded him with all blessings, made the sun and all phenomenal existence for his benefit, bestowed upon him tenderness and kindness, and then did not love him. This is palpable ignorance, for no matter to what religion a man belongs even though he be an atheist or materialist nevertheless God nurtures him, bestows His kindness and sheds upon him His light."
('Abdu'l-Baha, Star of the West, Vol. 8, issue 7, p. 78)

But god will never force people to believe in Him. It has to be a choice people make. That is why we all have free will.

lukethethird

unknown member
I am sure God cares about atheists just as much as God cares about believers... Whether God id worried or not we cannot know.

"How ignorant therefore the thought that God who created man, educated and nurtured him, surrounded him with all blessings, made the sun and all phenomenal existence for his benefit, bestowed upon him tenderness and kindness, and then did not love him. This is palpable ignorance, for no matter to what religion a man belongs even though he be an atheist or materialist nevertheless God nurtures him, bestows His kindness and sheds upon him His light."
('Abdu'l-Baha, Star of the West, Vol. 8, issue 7, p. 78)

But god will never force people to believe in Him. It has to be a choice people make. That is why we all have free will.
God has no powers in the presence of atheists, He's reduced to a sobbing, whimpering mass of jelly, tragic.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Believing has never ever been important to God. Think for a moment. What purpose would it serve for God to care how many people believe in Him?
God cares that some people believe in Him but God does not need anyone to believe in Him.
On the other hand Believing is crucial to religion. Without believers, religion would have no followers. Without followers, religion could not exist.
Religion has to have some followers, yes, but followers are not what makes religion what it is.
If God cared about how many believers He had, God would be making it all about God. The only purpose could be to feed His Ego. One who acts to feed their Ego has many lessons to learn. God would come up lacking on that account. Not going to happen.
God does not have an ego, so no, that is not going to happen.
As I see it, all those holy books come up lacking as well. Those holy books reflect mankind since they were written by mankind. Their view of God comes up lacking as well since their view of God is as they want God to be rather than what actually exists.
Some of them do, if they were written by men. It was their view of who they thought God was at the time.
Maybe instead of accepting blindly, one should question religion's view of God in order to Discover what does not add up, like the believer question.
Religions view of God is too vague as all religions are not the same.
Perhaps one should also question what about religion's view of God that keeps one there. This could bring insight into oneself.
It could be that they know that religion is the way that God is revealed even if it is imperfect since men tamper with it and change it over time.
As I see it, everything about God will add up. I think that is a good base to keep one on the path to the truth rather than sidetracked to beliefs and away from God.
Only without religion there is no way anyone can know anything about God in order to add it up.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I get your point about the disasters and I agree. Why say prayers after the fact?
The context for which I was suggesting prayers was before the fact. ;)

Nobody can read God's Mind. God reveals what He chooses to reveal to the Minds of the Messengers.
Then I read what they wrote and try to follow them.

Before?, and disasters still happen.

'tiz funny how so many religious say, "god says" or "god wants"

And we have had this discussion on "messengers" before

syo

What do you mean by apostle, if it includes Paul? And since he is quoted extensively in the NT, and Jesus is represented only by anonymous writers, who really founded what we now call Christianity?
If I understood correctly, an Apostle is someone who Jesus has called to continue Jesus' work. As for Paul, I think it says that Jesus called Paul in a vision. Paul didn't create christianity. Christianity is the Church (Jesus and the Apostles work combined).

I don’t think so. God seems to care about who are righteous, because it is said:

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Before?, and disasters still happen.
I did not mean to say prayers before disasters happen in order to prevent them.
Nothing can stop God after he had His Mind made up. :mad:

You said "still waiting" so the context of "before" was to say prayers while you are waiting, before believing in God, if you want to believe in God.
Sorry, I can see how that was unclear. ;)

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I don’t think so. God seems to care about who are righteous, because it is said:

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23
Those two verses seem to contradict each other.
The first verse says that the righteous will go to eternal life and the second verse says that eternal life is a free gift, which would mean we do not have to do anything to get it, like being righteous. :confused:

Ephesians 2
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Last edited:

Truth.Speaks

Believers and atheists:
i believe according to scripture that yes he cares to a certain extent
2 Thessalonians 2:13
He choose those that are going to believe from the beginning and its not everyone
Romans 9:22
and he also chose those that would never believe just so he could destroy them

ChristineM

Premium Member
I did not mean to say prayers before disasters happen in order to prevent them.
Nothing can stop God after he had His Mind made up. :mad:

You said "still waiting" so the context of "before" was to say prayers while you are waiting, before believing in God, if you want to believe in God.
Sorry, I can see how that was unclear. ;)

Tell you what, you pray and I will wait for evidence. That way at least i am not wasting my time praying to a bronze age myth.

I dont particularly want to believe in anything there is no evidence for. But i am quite happy to wait and if evidence turns up i shall reconsider.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
i believe according to scripture that yes he cares to a certain extent
2 Thessalonians 2:13
He choose those that are going to believe from the beginning and its not everyone
Romans 9:22
and he also chose those that would never believe just so he could destroy them
That does not sound like a "Loving God."
Why would God want to destroy people? o_O

FWIW, I think that God wants everyone to believe in Him and God has provided the means but if people reject the means then they will not believe because God is never going to force anyone to believe.

In this earthly life atheists can fool themselves that it does not matter, but after they die they will not be able to continue fooling themselves. I cannot say what will happen to any soul after death, that will be in God's hands, but Imo where they end up will depend upon their sincerity and whether they led a noble life, doing unto others as they would be done by.

I do not believe that atheists go to hell, because I do not believe hell is a geographical location, it is a state of a soul who is far from God. It is possible that God can draw a nonbeliever towards Him by His mercy and bounty. We always have the hope of receiving His mercy if we reach out for it.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Tell you what, you pray and I will wait for evidence. That way at least i am not wasting my time praying to a bronze age myth.
I was not suggesting you pray to the "Bible God." ;)
I dont particularly want to believe in anything there is no evidence for. But i am quite happy to wait and if evidence turns up i shall reconsider.
There is an atheist poster I have been posting to on my forum and other forums for over five years almost daily. He is also waiting for "better evidence." He thinks that God should communicate directly to everyone and that will garner 100% belief. This same conversation has been going on for over five years. I only have myself to blame for keeping it going. :rolleyes:

I will tell you what I told Him: God has always done things a certain way and God is not going to suddenly do an about face and change His Method of communication. I also told him that God could make everyone a believer IF God wanted to, but it would not be via direct communication because nobody could ever understand God directly.

So what I am trying to say is what you see is what you get. I know you do not like it, no atheists like it, but God has always sent Messengers as proof of His existence and God has never provided any other evidence.
God is omnipotent so hypothetically God could do something different, but I would not hold my breath because God is known for being "unchanging." :oops:

ChristineM

Premium Member
I was not suggesting you pray to the "Bible God." ;)

There is an atheist poster I have been posting to on my forum and other forums for over five years almost daily. He is also waiting for "better evidence." He thinks that God should communicate directly to everyone and that will garner 100% belief. This same conversation has been going on for over five years. I only have myself to blame for keeping it going. :rolleyes:

I will tell you what I told Him: God has always done things a certain way and God is not going to suddenly do an about face and change His Method of communication. I also told him that God could make everyone a believer IF God wanted to, but it would not be via direct communication because nobody could ever understand God directly.

So what I am trying to say is what you see is what you get. I know you do not like it, no atheists like it, but God has always sent Messengers as proof of His existence and God has never provided any other evidence.
God is omnipotent so hypothetically God could do something different, but I would not hold my breath because God is known for being "unchanging." :oops:

So no point in waiting then.

Dont like what? Nothing? I have no feelings either way for nothing. And we have discussed messengers before, without evidence your or any god sent anyone all you have is a person making unsubstantiated claims

Omnipotent??? Are you sure you want to go there

Truth.Speaks

That does not sound like a "Loving God."
Why would God want to destroy people? o_O

FWIW, I think that God wants everyone to believe in Him and God has provided the means but if people reject the means then they will not believe because God is never going to force anyone to believe.

In this earthly life atheists can fool themselves that it does not matter, but after they die they will not be able to continue fooling themselves. I cannot say what will happen to any soul after death, that will be in God's hands, but Imo where they end up will depend upon their sincerity and whether they led a noble life, doing unto others as they would be done by.

I do not believe that atheists go to hell, because I do not believe hell is a geographical location, it is a state of a soul who is far from God. It is possible that God can draw a nonbeliever towards Him by His mercy and bounty. We always have the hope of receiving His mercy if we reach out for it.

its really not on how we think or feel God declared the end from the beginning "Isaiah 46:10"
so what his word aka the bible says is what is going to happen and this is it "Isaiah 14:1:2"
Gods chosen people will be the ruling class, those that are found worthy. The other nations will be the servings class
"revelation 13:10"

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
So no point in waiting then.
True.
Dont like what? Nothing? I have no feelings either way for nothing. And we have discussed messengers before, without evidence your or any god sent anyone all you have is a person making unsubstantiated claims.
Substantiation is in the eyes of the beholder, but I understand your position.
No, it cannot ever be proven that anyone got messages from God.
Omnipotent??? Are you sure you want to go there
Why not?

ChristineM

Premium Member
True.

Substantiation is in the eyes of the beholder, but I understand your position.
No, it cannot ever be proven that anyone got messages from God.

Why not?

No substantiation is in the eye of evidence, verification, proof

Why not? E=Mc2 and your existence is why not