• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If God commanded you to...

If God commanded you to sacrifice your child, would you do it?

• Yes

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • No

Votes: 35 94.6%

• Total voters

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Well in the example, we are assuming that it is morally ok to kill the individual.... so the question "shluld you kill him" is a tautology and you should answer yes.

Well i bet that atleast hypothetically you can think on many scenarios where killing a child is morally ok. (Trolly problems come to mind)
In the trolley problem, killing people is only ethical because the person making the decision is a limited being. It's acceptable for them to choose an outcome that ends in deaths because they don't have any outcome available that doesn't result in deaths. It's ethical for them to minimize deaths to the extent that they're capable of.

... but having an "omni" god subject to limits like this is a contradiction in terms.

A limited human being might not be able to just stop the out-of-control trolley without any deaths, but a god could.

So if its logically possible to ethically sacrifice a child

And god cant command unethical stuff

Then it follows that sacrificing a child would morally ok. And therefore one should follow the command.

But as i said before, the fact that I should do something doesn't imply that I would do it. (Which is why I voted NO)
So you're assuming that God could command the murder of a child. IOW, you're begging the question by assuming that there must be a good reason.

Maybe one of your initial assumptions is wrong. Maybe God commanding a parent to murder their child is an impossible circumstance.

Edit: or maybe God commanding a parent to murder their child demonstrates that God isn't actually "omni" good.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Do you think that that takes away from "Abraham's faith" at all? If he knew ahead of time...
He had faith that God would remain true to the covenant he had made with him.

Genesis 17:15-16

And it would still be quite a challenge to offer your son as a burnt sacrifice. Even if he does return to life immediately after.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Okay. So again, you are a Bible believer though you claim you are not. I am not for sure.
Hows about you stop dodging the initial question ;):)
I'm using Jonah to illustrate how one can disobey God even in the event of direct contact. My non belief in the story is irrelevant to the illustration.

You ignored this

Do you have another insight, perhaps an Islamic point of view of Jonah?
The Quranic narrative of Jonah says that Jonah ran away from God too.

So....

If Allah commanded you to sacrifice your child, would you do it?

firedragon

Veteran Member
Hows about you stop dodging the initial question ;):)

You can try and insult all you want mate, but you are a Bible believer who claims otherwise. You quote it as if it's absolute historical fact. Ad hominem will not solve that problem.

The Quranic narrative of Jonah says that Jonah ran away from God too.

So now you are a Quran believer! You believe it is absolute historical fact? Do you believe the whole Qur'an to be historical fact or just the part you wish to pick?

Xavier, address the argument. I did not pull up the Qur'an to prove anything in this thread. And mate, you don't know the scripture. in the Qur'an it does not say that Jonah was given direct instruction, he knew it was God who came directly, and that he disobeyed Gods direct commandment while believing it was God. Read carefully. Even though no scripture is relevant to a simple logical point.

Cheers.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
You can try and insult all you want mate
Twas was a simple observation, not an insult.

but you are a Bible believer who claims otherwise.
No I'm not

You quote it as if it's absolute historical fact.
No I don't. I'm using it as an illustration.

Ad hominem will not solve that problem.
I've been only attacking your position that "one cannot disobey God if you believe in him",
So now you are a Quran believer! You believe it is absolute historical fact? Do you believe the whole Qur'an to be historical fact or just the part you wish to pick?
I find this really funny. I don't believe in the Quran. You literally have no reason to think I'm a Quran believer. I'm just using it as an example, since you are (right?)
in the Qur'an it does not say that Jonah was given direct instruction, he knew it was God who came directly, and that he disobeyed Gods direct commandment while believing it was God.
So..... No difference then?

If God commanded you to sacrifice your child, would you do it?

Christians, suppose Jesus Himself appeared to you and gave you this command. Would you do it?

Abraham is praised for being willing to do so.

Debate point: should you sacrifice your child if God commands it?

Probably not, because I think the story about Abraham shows God doesn't want that.

pearl

Abraham is praised for being willing to do so.

Debate point: should you sacrifice your child if God commands it?

I do not take this to be literal, but illustrating the difference between the God of Abraham and other gods who did require sacrificing children.