• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If God commanded you to...

If God commanded you to sacrifice your child, would you do it?

• Yes

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • No

Votes: 35 94.6%

• Total voters

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Okay, so if you "could" believe in an evil God, you have to make that a premise and answer the question. That's how hypothetical whatabout discussions work.

So is your God all knowing and all wise?

I wouldn't know. I am an agnostic and to know if God is all knowing and all wise, I would need to be God, otherwise I couldn't know. And, no, I am not a God, so I know nothing about God.
So if God asked me to kill my child, I would consider God evil. I can only go by myself, since I am not God.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I wouldn't know. I am an agnostic and to know if God is all knowing and all wise, I would need to be God, otherwise I couldn't know. And, no, I am not a God, so I know nothing about God.
So if God asked me to kill my child, I would consider God evil. I can only go by myself, since I am not God.

Thus your "could" hypothetical is a failure.

Cheers.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Well there are 2 completely different questions .
1 what should I do? (Answer sacrifice my child)

2 what would I do? (Answer Ignore the command, dont sacrifice my child)

What if I have a time machine, prove beyond reasonable doubt, to you that i really come from the future, and then tell you that you should sacrifice your child for the well being of humanity. (No details are given)

Also asume that you trust me , and you consider unlikely that I would lie to you.

Would you sacrifice your child? ( No )should you sacrifice your child ? (YES.)

See, I would say NO to both. Going back and killing Hitler as a child would still be immoral.

My point is that while intelectually you know that you should sacrifice your child, chances say that enotionally you couldn't.

So in response to your question, yes what God commands is automatically morally ogood, but that doest change the fact that it is stilll hard to follow the command even if intelectally you know its the correct thing to do.

I don't see it as a matter of 'hard to follow'. I see it as a question of morality and a God that asks for child sacrifice isn't a good one. No matter what the reason.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
We know that Abraham was very specific case that he did not actually kill his son and that God forbids killing people.
We know that a deity was depicted as wanting an adherent to follow that deity so blindly as to be willing to murder his own child. The bible demonstrates amply that the deity depicted does not forbid killing, but actively encourages it again and again, ethnic cleansing mass murder including infants and babies, and of course is depicted itself as committing indiscriminate mass murder, even genocide.

Madmogwai

Madmogwai
If I had absolute proof that it is God I would not hesitate.
My Daughter is my Life, my best friend, my everything.
How selfish would I be to deny her a chance to go to Heaven.

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
If I had absolute proof that it is God I would not hesitate.
My Daughter is my Life, my best friend, my everything.
How selfish would I be to deny her a chance to go to Heaven.
If you let your child live (even without God's command), there is a chance she will reject it and go to hell. Maybe you should abort all future pregnancies.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Well there are 2 completely different questions .
1 what should I do? (Answer sacrifice my child)

2 what would I do? (Answer Ignore the command, dont sacrifice my child)

What if I have a time machine, prove beyond reasonable doubt, to you that i really come from the future, and then tell you that you should sacrifice your child for the well being of humanity. (No details are given)

Also asume that you trust me , and you consider unlikely that I would lie to you.

Would you sacrifice your child? ( No )should you sacrifice your child ? (YES.)

My point is that while intelectually you know that you should sacrifice your child, chances say that enotionally you couldn't.

So in response to your question, yes what God commands is automatically morally ogood, but that doest change the fact that it is stilll hard to follow the command even if intelectally you know its the correct thing to do.
When you say "intelectually you know that you should sacrifice your child," what do you mean?

Are you going for something like "God could punish me in Hell forever for disobedience, so it's obviously in my self-interest to comply" or are you going for something like "God is infinitely wiser than me, so when he says I should do something, it's obvious I should trust his judgment "?

(Or something else?)

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
If God commanded you to sacrifice your child, would you do it? Christians, suppose Jesus Himself appeared to you and gave you this command. Would you do it?
Abraham is praised for being willing to do so.
Debate point: should you sacrifice your child if God commands it?

I think we need to keep in mind Genesis 22:5 because Abraham was expressing his belief in a physical resurrection when Abraham said, " I and the lad ..... come again to you " (Abraham and the lad Isaac )
They were so confident in the Resurrection Promise that they were willing to do as they thought God asked.
Since the Promised 'seed' aka Messiah was promised to come through Isaac then Isaac would have to be alive.
There is No reason today for God nor Jesus to ask an imperfect person to sacrifice because perfect Jesus already balanced the Scales of Justice for us.
We can't undo the damage Adam caused us but a sinless Jesus could and did undo what Adam lost for us.

Often today we see governments wanting child sacrifice, corrupted clergy even using the pulpit as a recruiting station so parents will sacrifice the life of their sons on the Altar of War as it that is the same thing as the Altar of God which it is not.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
It is wrong to sacrifice a son. God of Abraham is against it
God never wanted Abraham to sacrifice his son. And God will never ask someone to sacrifice his son again.
God was letting Abraham and Isaac demonstrate their faith in a physical resurrection.
They knew they would be back according to Genesis 22:5. So, they were willing to go through with the sacrifice.
They knew the promise that Messiah (seed) would come through Isaac so Isaac would have to be alive to do that.

However, false clergy ask parents to sacrifice their sons on the Altar of War as if it is the same as the Altar of God.

InChrist

Free4ever
So a lot of people are saying "God wouldn't do that.." that's good and all, but the hypothetical is asking what you would do if God would command that. I'm more interested in what you would do rather than what a God would do
No, because the only god who would command such a thing at this point is the god of this world; the devil.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
@Xavier Graham , fyi, if one carefully reads the story of Abraham's supposed attempt to sacrifice Isaac, there are a few clues that Abraham never expected to lose his son. First God promised to make Abraham into a nation through Isaac. Second when Abraham approaches the mountain he tells the lads who are with him that both he and Isaac would return. So, Abraham must have thought either that God would change the instructions or that Isaac would immediately return from the dead after the sacrifice
Do you think that that takes away from "Abraham's faith" at all? If he knew ahead of time...

leroy

See, I would say NO to both. Going back and killing Hitler as a child would still be immoral.
Well in the example, we are assuming that it is morally ok to kill the individual.... so the question "shluld you kill him" is a tautology and you should answer yes.
I don't see it as a matter of 'hard to follow'. I see it as a question of morality and a God that asks for child sacrifice isn't a good one. No matter what the reason.

Well i bet that atleast hypothetically you can think on many scenarios where killing a child is morally ok. (Trolly problems come to mind)

So if its logically possible to ethically sacrifice a child

And god cant command unethical stuff

Then it follows that sacrificing a child would morally ok. And therefore one should follow the command.

But as i said before, the fact that I should do something doesn't imply that I would do it. (Which is why I voted NO)

leroy

When you say "intelectually you know that you should sacrifice your child," what do you mean?

Are you going for something like "God could punish me in Hell forever for disobedience, so it's obviously in my self-interest to comply" or are you going for something like "God is infinitely wiser than me, so when he says I should do something, it's obvious I should trust his judgment "?

(Or something else?)
With "intelectually " i mean that you have good rational reasons to sacrifice your child. Or that intelectually you arrived at the conclusion that it is morally ok to sacrifice him . (Hypothetical Trolly problems would be an example)

The point that I made is that under those situations you should sacrifice your child, but in the real world chances say that you wouldn't.

Related to this post
1 if you are virtually 100% sure that God excist and that he has all the "omni" atributes

2 you are virtually 100% sure that he commanded you to sacrifice your child

3 then you should sacrifice your child/ // but in reality chances say that you wouldn't do it.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
With "intelectually " i mean that you have good rational reasons to sacrifice your child. Or that intelectually you arrived at the conclusion that it is morally ok to sacrifice him . (Hypothetical Trolly problems would be an example)

The point that I made is that under those situations you should sacrifice your child, but in the real world chances say that you wouldn't.
Sure. From a parent's perspective, as long as:

- Heaven is clearly better than life on Earth,
- it's certain that, if your child dies, they'll end up in Heaven, and
- you're sure that God won't punish you for murder...

... it's rational to murder your child, even if most of us would probably be physically incapable of doing it.

I'm more interested in God's perspective: why would God's purposes be better served by a parent killing their child than not.

Related to this post
1 if you are virtually 100% sure that God excist and that he has all the "omni" atributes

2 you are virtually 100% sure that he commanded you to sacrifice your child

3 then you should sacrifice your child/ // but in reality chances say that you wouldn't do it.
... because you presume that an "omni" God would have a good reason to ask you to kill your child?

What could this reason be?