• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If God commanded you to...

If God commanded you to sacrifice your child, would you do it?

• Yes

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • No

Votes: 35 94.6%

• Total voters

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Sure. Why not?

Who am I to say no to my Gods?
Pagan gods can be imperfect just like people. I think it's better to question them and follow your own morals rather then follow blindly. I'd say no in a heartbeat to a deity if they asked me to do something and I disagreed with them morally on. After all they arent perfect and neither am I. But that's just me and how i view it. I rather die myself then kill an innocent child

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Blind trust is irresponsible and dangerous. What if it turned out to be mental illness or the devil in disguise?
Couldn't the same be said about any "revealed' commands from a god? How can we be sure that any religious commandment isn't from mental illness or the Devil?

If they make an immoral request, then they themselves are immoral, and thus unworthy of being regarded a righteous and just god.
A true test of goodness is saying no even to god when it comes to right and wrong.
But what would make the action wrong?

If we're taking as given that God, Heaven, etc. are real, murder of someone who will go to Heaven means a net benefit for the victim. If God is commanding it, it presumably wouldn't mean punishment in Hell for the murderer, so what's the downside? Where's the harm?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Couldn't the same be said about any "revealed' commands from a god? How can we be sure that any religious commandment isn't from mental illness or the Devil?
Exactly.

But what would make the action wrong?

If we're taking as given that God, Heaven, etc. are real, murder of someone who will go to Heaven means a net benefit for the victim. If God is commanding it, it presumably wouldn't mean punishment in Hell for the murderer, so what's the downside? Where's the harm?
Even if a trip of heaven was guaranteed, it denies the victim the choice over their own life.

It's easy to make a "sacrifice" when the loss is someone else's.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Pagan gods can be imperfect just like people. I think it's better to question them and follow your own morals rather then follow blindly. I'd say no in a heartbeat to a deity if they asked me to do something and I disagreed with them morally on. After all they arent perfect and neither am I. But that's just me and how i view it. I rather die myself then kill an innocent child

I would grab a flamberge and decapitate them, absorbing their powers ala "Highlander".

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Christians, suppose Jesus Himself appeared to you and gave you this command. Would you do it?

Abraham is praised for being willing to do so.

Debate point: should you sacrifice your child if God commands it?
I would tell God to **** himself and over my dead body.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
They certainly can be and do wrong. But what exactly can I do, considering a God would have to power to just kill me if I disagree.
If they cant kill an innocent child themselves instead of asking you to do it then why do you think they have the power to kill you? After all they are asking you to kill a child. This implies they cant do it themselves

After all pagan gods can be imperfect and arent all powerful. Perhaps said pagan god who'd ask is unable to kill certain beings?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
If they cant kill an innocent child themselves instead of asking you to do it then why do you think they have the power to kill you? After all they are asking you to kill a child. This implies they cant do it themselves
It's yet another Bible contradiction to Jesus mentioning about tying a millstone around ones neck.

Why Christians even still bother to follow this insane religion befuddles me to this day.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Christians, suppose Jesus Himself appeared to you and gave you this command. Would you do it?

Abraham is praised for being willing to do so.

Debate point: should you sacrifice your child if God commands it?

No god, imo should expect to have that kind of authority.