• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If God commanded you to...

If God commanded you to sacrifice your child, would you do it?

• Yes

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • No

Votes: 35 94.6%

• Total voters

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.

Christians, suppose Jesus Himself appeared to you and gave you this command. Would you do it?

Abraham is praised for being willing to do so.

Debate point: should you sacrifice your child if God commands it?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

Christians, suppose Jesus Himself appeared to you and gave you this command. Would you do it?

Abraham is praised for being willing to do so.

Debate point: should you sacrifice your child if God commands it?
If anyone do answer yes in this thread, they going to be ripped apart and hated.

The question actually means if you could say yes, you would show full trust/faith in God and be able to do what is asked of you as a believer.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
If anyone do answer yes in this thread, they going to be ripped apart and hated.

The question actually means if you could say yes, you would show full trust/faith in God and be able to do what is asked of you as a believer.
So, "yes" then? What would you say if Allah commanded you to do so? From an Abrahamic point of view, it is possible as it has happened before. I'm just trying to understand what you meant more

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
This question doesn't make any sense to me. The way I perceive God isn't really a being, and even though entities will become Gods one day, on their own right, an entity that wants me to sacrifice a child for no purpose could not be God, violating the terms and conditions of wisdom and generosity. On the other hand, if God told me this child would grow up to be the next global dictator, I still wouldn't kill the child, but teach that child right from wrong so that could not in any way occur. And if God told me or if I found out that child has conduct syndrome, well ... I would try to prevent that child from harming anyone else, if possible, but not harm that child.

I think too much.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

Blind trust is irresponsible and dangerous. What if it turned out to be mental illness or the devil in disguise? If they make an immoral request, then they themselves are immoral, and thus unworthy of being regarded a righteous and just god.
A true test of goodness is saying no even to god when it comes to right and wrong.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
If a god commanded me and were I convinced it were a god, I'd still say no.

If that god were good, it'd say "congratulations, you passed the test."
No. Such a request would reveal him to be evil.
Suppose that God (capital G) is the author of morality. He deems it immoral to not listen to Him.
Would you be evil and not listen to Him still? What if it was "good" to sacrifice the child, according to the God. I have the Abrahamic God in mind as a frame of reference by the way.
I suppose this brings the question up of whether there is an objective morality or not.

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
So, "yes" then? What would you say if Allah commanded you to do so? From an Abrahamic point of view, it is possible as it has happened before. I'm just trying to understand what you meant more

God never wanted Abraham to sacrifice his son. And God will never ask someone to sacrifice his son again.

Because of this:

Skeptic: You have no problem with it? G‑d not only condoning, but actually asking for the sacrifice of a human life as a demonstration of faith? If that's how you feel about it, you're no different from the suicide bombers who believe they're killing themselves and scores of innocent men, women and children because G‑d wants them to...!

Believer: Aren't you leaving something out? If you're going to read the Akeidah story, read it to the end.

Skeptic: I know. In the end Isaac isn't killed. But that's almost besides the point.

Believer: No, that is the point. Or at least a very important point of the story. After Abraham demonstrates the depth of his faith and commitment to G‑d with his willingness to sacrifice Isaac, G‑d commands Abraham, "Do not reach out you hand to the lad! Do not do anything to him!" G‑d makes it clear that He does NOT want us to offer human sacrifices to Him.

This gets repeated many times throughout the Torah. The Torah expressly forbids human sacrifice, and calls it an "abomination." We serve G‑d by living a G‑dly life and giving life to others, not by dying and killing. Judaism celebrates life and mourns death, not vice versa.

What Kind of G‑d Would Ask You to Sacrifice Your Son? - a conversation - Chassidic Thought (chabad.org)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Blind trust is irresponsible and dangerous. What if it turned out to be mental illness or the devil in disguise? If they make an immoral request, then they themselves are immoral, and thus unworthy of being regarded a righteous and just god.
A true test of goodness is saying no even to god when it comes to right and wrong.
@Xavier Graham see what mean?

Starlight

My answer would only be heard by God.
God never wanted Abraham to sacrifice his son. And God will never ask someone to sacrifice his son again.

After Abraham demonstrates the depth of his faith and commitment to G‑d with his willingness to sacrifice Isaac, G‑d commands Abraham, "Do not reach out you hand to the lad! Do not do anything to him!" G‑d makes it clear that He does NOT want us to offer human sacrifices to Him.

This gets repeated many times throughout the Torah. The Torah expressly forbids human sacrifice, and calls it an "abomination." We serve G‑d by living a G‑dly life and giving life to others, not by dying and killing. Judaism celebrates life and mourns death, not vice versa.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
God will never ask someone to sacrifice his son again.

After Abraham demonstrates the depth of his faith and commitment to G‑d with his willingness to sacrifice Isaac, G‑d commands Abraham, "Do not reach out you hand to the lad! Do not do anything to him!" G‑d makes it clear that He does NOT want us to offer human sacrifices to Him.

The thing is.

I haven't given a yes or a no to the OP. The answer i would have given would only be between me and God.

Starlight

The thing is.

I haven't given a yes or a no to the OP. The answer i would have given would only be between me and God.
It is wrong to sacrifice a son. God of Abraham is against it