• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Given 1 Billion Dollars...

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Would you still be a good person.
How would you plan your future? IOW what would you do with the money?

If you gave 1/2 a billion away to charity, would you feel good about keeping the rest? Assuming your felt any guilt for being a 1%ter in the first place.

I suspect I'd go about the world just randomly helping people I came across who needed it.
At least for a while. Until I became totally corrupted by all that money. :rolleyes:

Probably the same as now, keep quite and give 10% of income to charities.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
what would you do with the money?
By the way.... it would not require a billion $ to greatly improve the world. I have a plan to make social networking a better force for good. I could accomplish the dream of John Lanier with only a small Comp science team by re-implementing web rings -- using modern OATH protocols and a uniform site software package. We'd make a package that a person could install for free and host cheaply. The whole thing could be profitable, dynamic and reshape the internet for good.

We need a strong competitor to antiquate and replace the current social networks, and I know what that competitor is. No more fishy data collection.

It is a return to web rings but with the advantage of friend lists and chat and a uniform site creation tool. I envision it appearing somewhat like facebook or myspace on its surface but functioning differently underneath. It could be run on decentralized software, either individual web sites or virtual ones. Each person owns their site, but their site has a friends list. The friend list is the difference from web rings. That list is OATH implemented, such that when they are friended they gain a login token which corresponds to their level of friendship or other permissions such as permission to see friends or permission to post comments and so on. Its dissimilar also from web rings or myspace in that there is a default uniform look which follows the format people have come to expect in a social network app. All of this is already available and simply needs to be patched together.

Empower the family, the individual, the artist. Empower the small business, too.

In the past a poor version of this was done with web rings, but these did not have the benefit of OATH. You couldn't do friend lists or easily pop a site up for Grand-dad. Today it is entirely possible. It would completely remake the internet and for far, far less than a billion. 5 people could do it in under 2 years.

I have a plan to save social networking

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
$1B....I'd invest it.
Having no need for more income, I'd become the
darling of various tech museums, & linear parks.