• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Demons Then God

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Except that literally nobody ever claims to be haunted by unicorns or orcs :rolleyes:

People with creative imaginations believe they are haunted by many things even Dragons, and that does not mean dragons exist. .Harry Potter was haunted by Orcs.

Tiberius

If there is a Demon then there must be Satan (and also other Demons...)

If there is Satan then there must be God (as Satan is defined by his relationship to God)

Therefore if there is a Demon then there is God

I believe that I am haunted by a Demon

Therefore, for me personally, there is proof towards there being a God

I don't expect people to believe me about this but I hope people will think that this is at least reasonable

I don't know why I'm haunted by a Demon...

But I know that the battle for my mind is only a small part of a much, much greater war

There are a lot of premises you've accepted as true without cause.

There's no reason to think that the existence of a demon means there is Satan.

There's no reason to think that the existence of some ruler of demons means your particular religious belief is true.

And that's assuming that what's happening to you is caused by a demon in the first place.

night912

If there is Satan then there must be God (as Satan is defined by his relationship to God)

I don't expect people to believe me about this but I hope people will think that this is at least reasonable

But I know that the battle for my mind is only a small part of a much, much greater war
What is the reason why you believe a demon is haunting you? What I mean by this is, what makes you think that it's a demon. What are the things that has happened?

It would be nice if you share your experiences for better understanding. But only if it's not going to get too personal and only you can make that decision.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member

Except off course, if these demons are minions of Hades or Loki or alike.

So which is more likely? That you are actually "haunted" by a supernatural being which nobody has ever demonstrated to be actually real... or that you made a mistake?

"proof" of the same category as a fata morgana being "proof" of water in the desert.

Nope, sorry. I don't think it is ever reasonable to believe the least probable / plausible / likely explanation.
The most plausible, probable, likely explanation, is that you are mistaken.

Humans, after all, are mistaken all the time about the nature of their experiences.
But not a single time has anyone ever demonstrated anything supernatural.

So right out the gates, it is FAR more likely that you are simply mistaken.

"know" is not an appropriate term to use for your undemonstrable extra-ordinary beliefs.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

I think you got this knowledge from verses from the Bible

So, you use Bible verses as proof that Satan exists
To prove that God exists, you can also use direct Bible verses
IF you already established that Bible verses are True
No need to go via Satan to prove God (using Bible verses)
There are plenty direct Bible verses, right?

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Oh the images in our minds
something must be wrong !
I've never had any of those.
Listen to that orchid purring.

Tambourine

In ancient Greece, a daimon was a supernatural being that did not have an established cult. The famous philosopher Socrates called the moral force inside every human a daimon, which would be similar in characteristic to what us modern people tend to call a "conscience".

Also, a lot of supernatural beings from non-European mythologies and religions tend to be translated as "demons".

I'd say the existence of such "demons" or daimones would not necessarily justify the existence of a (post-)Biblical Satan.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
What makes you think that, Eddi?
Since 2004 I've had a thing that communicates with me by touching my body

Because of this I have been diagnosed as schizophrenic

I believe that I am being haunted by a demon

Meds haven't made it go away, but prayer and willpower have for the past couple of days shut it up a lot

stvdv

In ancient Greece, a daimon was a supernatural being that did not have an established cult. The famous philosopher Socrates called the moral force inside every human a daimon, which would be similar in characteristic to what us modern people tend to call a "conscience".

Also, a lot of supernatural beings from non-European mythologies and religions tend to be translated as "demons".

I'd say the existence of such "demons" or daimones would not necessarily justify the existence of a (post-)Biblical Satan.
Thank you for sharing. I did not know this, and this makes much more sense then devil/Satan to me.
Wiki gave wonderful descriptions like "benevolent" and "wise". So "conscience" feels good to me.
I wonder why Christianity has been focused so much on Devil and Satan. Maybe it's just Dualism, forgetting non-Dualism.
Daimon (Ancient Greek: δαίμων / daímon; Latin: dæmon; Dutch: daimoon) is originally the term in Greek mythology for a usually benevolent creature standing somewhere between gods and mortals, a supernatural being such as an inferior deity.

Although Homer used the words θεοί ('gods') and δαίμονες ('daimones') practically as a synonym, later writers like Plato made a distinction between the two. [2] In Cratylus (398b) Plato explains the etymology of δαίμονες ('daimones') as δαήμονες ('daēmones') which means 'knowing the wise', although the origin of the word is more likely due to daiō, which means "the distribution of destinies." [3]

stvdv

Thank you for sharing. I did not know this, and this makes much more sense then devil/Satan to me.
Wiki gave wonderful descriptions like "benevolent" and "wise" are used. So "conscience" feels good to me.
I wonder why Christianity has been focused so much on Devil and Satan. Maybe it's just Dualism, forgetting non-Dualism.
Daimon (Ancient Greek: δαίμων / daímon; Latin: dæmon; Dutch: daimoon) is originally the term in Greek mythology for a usually benevolent creature standing somewhere between gods and mortals, a supernatural being such as an inferior deity.

Although Homer used the words θεοί ('gods') and δαίμονες ('daimones') practically as a synonym, later writers like Plato made a distinction between the two. [2] In Cratylus (398b) Plato explains the etymology of δαίμονες ('daimones') as δαήμονες ('daēmones') which means 'knowing the wise', although the origin of the word is more likely due to daiō, which means "the distribution of destinies." [3]

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon

Meds haven't made it go away, but prayer and willpower have for the past couple of days shut it up a lot
Wow! How frustrating and disturbing! Sorry to hear that.

February-Saturday

Devil Worshiper

Sometimes an exorcism is what works when conventional approaches don't.

Now, in saying that, that doesn't necessarily confirm the reality of demons. There is some interesting work being done on exorcisms and reverse-exorcisms by hypnotists and archetypal psychologists to try to figure out why they work when other approaches fail. The going method is that faith and belief play a large role in its efficacy.

So my advice to you would be to hold on tight to your faith. I would actually recommend that you don't get into debates and ask questions while you're in the thick of it until you manage to have a better grip on things, just as a way to prevent regression.

I'm not a psychologist, this is not psychiatric advice, but I am a trained exorcist and I've worked with psychologists on the topic in my free time. Faith is probably what's going to get you through this.

That might seem like weird advice coming from... well, me? And I'm a little scared you're going to take this as reverse psychology. It's not. Demonic obsession is miserable and horrifying, and while I have the means to induce it in other people it's not something I would wish on anyone.

InChrist

Free4ever

And Jesus Christ is the victorious One in the greater war.

“Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. “
James 4:7