• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If chicken strips are flimsy and soft are they bad?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Well you can put breadcrumbs on, if you dip the pieces in beaten egg first so they stick - same as you do with frying fish in breadcrumbs. Have to be a little careful with the cooking time, as it will depend on the thickness of the pieces. With breadcrumbs you don't want to have to cook for too long or they will burn, so need thinnish pieces of chicken breast or something, I suppose. I generally do something different though. I like to fry chicken pieces, usually thighs, which you find in the supermarket, with the skin on, so it goes crisp and the flavour goes into the meat (most of the flavour is in the fat under the skin). So I heat some oil in a heavy pan with a lid and put them in with the lid on at low heat so they part fry / part steam. I turn them 3 times, allowing 8-10 minutes per side, by which time they are golden all over. I put some slices of garlic in the oil and some thyme on the chicken.

(Optional extra: you can also tip the oil out at the end and put a splash of balsamic vinegar in the pan to deglaze it and gets the bits stuck to the pan off into a little sauce to go over. Since fried chicken is a bit oily, it cuts it a bit, which is nice)

It all takes about the same time (30 mins) as it takes to cook a few potatoes to go with it - and some vegetable on the side, or a bit of salad.
Dip in flour, dip in egg (or one of a few alternatives), coat in bread crumbs, while gently pressing crumbs into whatever being breaded.
I like to keep a small pile of flour off to the side so when I'm done I can rub my hands in that, with the flour helping to clean off most the mess on my hands.
Do you do anything with the leftover flour and egg? Or does the amount you use usually cover up most of the chicken?

Honestly, I'm a bit frustrated at the idea of having to use three or more dishes just to bread chicken before throwing it in the airfryer. I suppose I could use a bowl for the egg and a small plate for the flour, it might not be as bad as I'm imagining it. (I hate making food lol)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Do you do anything with the leftover flour and egg? Or does the amount you use usually cover up most of the chicken?
The flour you'll eventually get down about how much you need, but any leftovers you might be able to store the flour but the egg probably not. They likely wont be good or anything else anyways, especially if you added stuff the the stuff (like pepper in the flour or hot sauce in the egg).
Honestly, I'm a bit frustrated at the idea of having to use three or more dishes just to bread chicken before throwing it in the airfryer. I suppose I could use a bowl for the egg and a small plate for the flour, it might not be as bad as I'm imagining it. (I hate making food lol)
It's extra dishes, but easily cleaned (especially if you make an effort to clean as you go along) and very worth it. You'll get more crunch and flavor out of it, and it'll be more dishes yet but homemade sauces can make such a meal into something grand, like having coconut shavings in the breading and served with a pina colada sauce.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
What do you mean by a bit more cookery? I assume you'd have to do the breading yourself (how do you do that anyways? cover in flower is all right?)
For best breading start with dry meat. Use a paper towel and then throw it away. In Britain is have heard a different term for it, but set up a little assembly breading line. Have flour with your salt, pepper, and any spices well mixed on a plate.. Then a quick dip into the bath. A bath of beaten egg, perhaps a little milk. And now into another dish of bread crumbs, throw a bit of grated parmesan in it too. Now throw it in a pan with some hot oil.

It sounds like a lot, but it is rather easy. It also tastes much much better than any frozen product and is cheaper too.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
For best breading start with dry meat. Use a paper towel and then throw it away. In Britain is have heard a different term for it, but set up a little assembly breading line. Have flour with your salt, pepper, and any spices well mixed on a plate.. Then a quick dip into the bath. A bath of beaten egg, perhaps a little milk. And now into another dish of bread crumbs, throw a bit of grated parmesan in it too. Now throw it in a pan with some hot oil.

It sounds like a lot, but it is rather easy. It also tastes much much better than any frozen product and is cheaper too.
Thank you, I will try this. I just need to buy the ingredients.