• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If beliefs change like the blowing of the wind

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Truths change aswell, the world was once flat, now it is round, truths change and so do oppinions.
Hence why "beliefs change like the blowing of the wind." But belief is here, and it's now. And the truth is here, and now. It's always here and now.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Truths change aswell, the world was once flat, now it is round, truths change and so do oppinions.

Try thinking in poetry rather than math.
I 'feel' when things are right - a dawn for example, while I sometimes miscalculate without knowing it.

Zeroa

Dances With Mice
How do we know what we truely believe and what is just a passing breeze?

Over time you begin to see patterns in your own thought, and if you can distill down to that, I think you'll have reached the core of what you believe.

It's actually much easier to just eliminate what you don't believe. :D

xkatz

What ever your mind thinks is "right". "Right" and "wrong" though are just words. There is no truely right decision when it comes to beliefs.

wmjbyatt

Lunatic from birth
Time is an illusion. You exist only right now. Anything that you believe, you believe right now. Perhaps some future manifestation of a corporeal presence that identifies itself with the same name by which you identify yourself will have different beliefs. But whatever you believe right now you truly believe right now, and that's that.

PivotalSyntax

Spiritual Luftmensch
I know of the uncertainty of which you speak. From my own personal experience, I will offer you the advice I can. My beliefs about my spiritual "path" are always changing, but whatever I believe in the present moment, I am entirely convicted to. If you believe of something in the present moment, whether you will believe it the next morning is irrelevant, because you have the utmost conviction in it if you believe it. So live with your present beliefs, and if they resonate within you they will continue to thrive within you.

Onkara

Hi Antibush5,
I would like to offer an answer I posted elsewhere in hope it might be of use:

Attraction towards a religion or something which one can fully believe in, can come from a sensation of finding self-identity in the religion itself .e.g. Liking their outlook on life, "Tantra/Islam/Mormon etc is pretty cool and that's for me". Or it can come from our Karma and Svabhava or nature.

My personal impression is that seeking self-idenity will not last, it is usually passionate and excluding of other possibilities whilst it lasts, a bit like when we fancy pizza so much nothing else sounds nice and we wonder how we could have eaten it, but after the pizza we loose interest quickly.

Whilst destiny based on karma and our nature is almost unavoidable, we can digress on tangents (such as thinking pizza is god ) but it keeps coming back and it changes our way of thinking and being, a bit like a loose string tied to our ankle that keeps tugging at us until we are finally ready to go with it and accept that is our destiny, cool or not. At this point things could flourish, not necessarily quickly, but inner peace will happen. That is my opinion.

Belief is merely a subjective truth. Do what you feel works best for that's the only thing we can do. Perhaps, we will once be right totally or at least in part.

Scrambles

You can take my idea on it, and simply practice more and more faiths until one fits. Or, create your own. Whatever feels right. Many faiths are simply adaptations of older ones; perhaps you accept this part of Symbolic Satanism yet you get God X and Goddess Y and being the major powers.

it's_sam

Freak of Nature
I dont recomend this task to many people because it takes a fairly large understanding of things most people havnt focused on because their trivial. However someone in your position can benefit from this excercise because it will help give you a new perspective but it will also help you understand what you want for life.

First you will need to drop all knowledge of what you "know" about existence, draw a complete blank. Second you need to refill your minds eye with (more or less) the creation of existence all the way up to where you stand today. You need to get in detail though however redundunt the thought might be, starting from beggining to end. Like taking in a breathe the lungs expand soaking up the oxygen and releasing it to our blood, our blood then pumps through our heart to our brain creating the energy to manipulate thought and motion. Once you are able to see yourself in truth you will feel like you are able to take on a world and life that you have no idea about (afterlife), and you can do this process again but in a way that you would want things to happen essentialy testing your thoughts to reality.

Last edited:

Smoke

Done here.
It's all a passing breeze.

If you live long enough, there's a very good chance that your mental faculties will deteriorate, and all you'll care about is your basic necessities and some attention and affection from the folks around you. I've known a great many people in my life who could no longer remember who their children or grandchildren were, but were still heartbreakingly grateful for visits from them. Most of the time, the very old become like children again, and most of the crap they believed about religion and politics just blows away.

Those of us who don't live that long may go to our graves clinging desperately to our opinions, but we go to our graves just the same, where there is nothing and nobody to believe things.

That's not to say we shouldn't enjoy a nice breeze when it comes along.