1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured If an entity offered you as an atheist an after life after you lived, would that interest you

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by ideogenous_mover, Dec 25, 2019.

1. ideogenous_mover

ideogenous_mover Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670
    Religion:
    Standard Animism
    Yes, well those are really quite human sorts of things to wonder. The importance of this moment right now as it relates to the universe is anyone's guess, it's not more of anyone's guess out there beyond the curtain of corporeality. You don't really know how you reached your current state, do you. You don't really know how you are conscious right now. The entity recognizes something worthy in your experience of human activity, and merely offers you continuance. By inference, you should sort of know a few things about what you are getting into, as existence is not new to you.

2. ideogenous_mover

ideogenous_mover Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670
    Religion:
    Standard Animism
    What if your 'soul' was in such a position that it simultaneously felt all the disparate senses of every living creature on a planet? Like you were the sense center of all of that biomass, a mind or soul in the middle of a planet.. That would be cowish in the most interesting way possible, possibly

3. blü 2

blü 2 Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,516
    Religion:
    Skeptical
    Maybe the life of the individual of any species is built around the same basic formula ─ survive long enough to reproduce, and you've done the only thing important in the longer run that you'll ever do. For example, the only reason you and I are here is because every single one of our ancestors got that part right across three and a half billion years of life on earth.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Scott C.

Scott C. Just one guy

Ratings:
    +741
    Religion:
    The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
    As one who believes in eternal life and that we will be happy and busy and not bored forever, I'll admit I've thought about what you just said. What could be so wonderful that one would never get bored? Afterall, forever is a long, long time. I don't believe the answer is in being altered to become someone who we are not now. I believe it has to do with the fact that we are eternal beings, now having a temporary mortal experience. We now live in a finite and mortal realm which is not our natural home. When we die, we will see and understand eternity much better, without becoming a new person. It will be more that these temporary mortal blinders have been removed. My two cents on the mysteries of eternity.

• Like Like x 1
  5. LuisDantas

LuisDantas Aura of atheification
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +15,104
    Religion:
    Advocate of letting go of theism. Buddhist with an emphasis on personal understanding.
    To be sincere, I think that such an entity would be far too humanlike to be trustworthy, at least at first.

6. Hockeycowboy

Hockeycowboy Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,247
    Religion:
    Christian
    So...you really don't want to meet your progeny, continuing on and on ? Only for '100,000 years'?

I find it hard to believe that.

7. Polymath257

Polymath257 Think & Care

Ratings:
    +22,141
    Religion:
    Non-theist
    Well, I have one daughter who isn't genetically mine. So I have no 'progeny' and am quite happy about that fact.

I am more interested in what the math will look like in 300 years than I am in any progeny I would have. I am not particularly interested in my ancestors, either.

8. Polymath257

Polymath257 Think & Care

Ratings:
    +22,141
    Religion:
    Non-theist
    I'll go further. We measure dark matter by its gravitational interactions. I would consider that as *direct* a measurement as when we detect a neutrino from its interaction with chlorine atoms to give a flash. In both cases, our detection is based on an interaction that tells us information about the target.

For that matter, when we see a star, that is also 'indirect' because it is the interaction of the matter of the star with electromagnetism and the propagation of the light to us that gives us the information. In this sense, *all* detection is 'indirect': all detection is based on some interaction.

Now, what we *don't* know is the *composition* of dark matter. We *do* know where it is, how massive it is, that it doesn't interact with electromagnetism strongly, and several other things about it. We just don't know what it is made from.

#88 Polymath257, Dec 27, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. ChristineM

ChristineM "Be strong" I whispered to my coffee.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +24,838
    Religion:
    None
    That deserves a winner a like an informative and a useful but could only give it one frube.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hockeycowboy

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,247
    Religion:
    Christian
    Well, there you go! Imagine the new technologies that will result! Ones that you could help invent. Safe ones.

Take care.

11. Hockeycowboy

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,247
    Religion:
    Christian
    ^^ Ditto

12. Falvlun

Falvlun Earthbending Lemur

Ratings:
    +2,315
    yeah, but the question Scott asked was whether you could conceive of *any* eternal existence you’d like.

How do you know meaningful existence would be exhausted? In my scenario, I hypothesized that at the ultimate end of experience, you merge with a universal consciousness, just enjoying the bliss of being. But what if you are given another alternative? After experiencing everything there is to experience in this universe, you are then given an infant universe to create as it’s god. The possibilities are truly endless— so again, I ask, is it just lack of imagination?

And again, why worry about “I” eventually being lost? You lose “I” either way. The only difference is that you can either lose it now, immediately, or in like a couple hundred thousand years (if at all— you are turning down eternal existence on an *assumption*). If you believe you will ultimately lose it, why not enjoy being “I” for a little longer?

#92 Falvlun, Dec 28, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Hockeycowboy

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,247
    Religion:
    Christian
    To accept, you’d have to already be living.

14. night912

night912 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +525
    Religion:
    Not religious
    The question is then, can you eventually get bored of being at the highest level joyful for eternity? Having the same feeling for all eternity might not be all that great. Keep in mind that no matter what new experience you get, the feeling of being joyful is the same.