• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If an atheist makes a thread..

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I was wondering.

Whan an atheist makes a thread about God, do you take him/her just as serious as when a theist makes a post? Considering the fact that we make posts about something we don't believe in..
Depends on the post. :)

Beaudreaux

I was wondering.

Whan an atheist makes a thread about God, do you take him/her just as serious as when a theist makes a post? Considering the fact that we make posts about something we don't believe in..

Honestly, I never check the worldview of the poster.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
As long as a post is done tastefully I value the opinions and insight of most of the atheists on this forum.
I have found myself thinking a lot more about things that I once never doubted to be true. ....:foot: I can't believe I said that....:D

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
I was wondering.

Depends upon who made it and their general posting pattern. There are quite a few atheists on this forum who I would ignore just about anything they say about religion. These are the people who have demonstrated time and again all they care about is ridiculing religious beliefs. However, thankfully, there are some atheists here who I would take seriously as they have shown they are not obsessed with ridiculing religious beliefs.

Yet, this goes both ways. There are also theists who are obsessed with either ridiculing all beliefs different from their own, or they constantly try and use the same crappy arguments to try and "prove" God exists beyond a doubt. Luckily RF does not have a lot of these posters (unlike the last forum I was on *shudders*).

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I cant think of one time I have torn down an laughed and mocked an athiest for their beliefs.Not one time..Unfortunatley I cant say my experience in reverse is the same.And Im sure "they" have encountered the same as well.

I just dont enjoy it..

Love

Dallas

rojse

RF Addict
I have found that the majority of people on here will treat any serious OP about religion or God by myself quite well, and are willing to answer questions in a reasonable manner, and try and explain their beliefs. Can't ask for more than that.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I was wondering.

When an atheist makes a thread about God, do you take him/her just as serious as when a theist makes a post? Considering the fact that we make posts about something we don't believe in..

Of course I take them seriously, I like to assume they are asking because they are curious. I don't like rude questions, but the majority of questions are not rude.
There is a difference between asking "why do you believe in God?" to "how could you possibly believe in God?" (the first is polite the 2nd can be taken as rude).

Stellify

StarChild
Absolutely :D As long as it is posted earnestly and with a genuine desire for knowledge and perhaps mutual understanding:)

Beaudreaux

I cant think of one time I have torn down an laughed and mocked an athiest for their beliefs.Not one time..Unfortunatley I cant say my experience in reverse is the same.And Im sure "they" have encountered the same as well.

I just dont enjoy it..

Love

Dallas
Well, who would? I'm am atheist and I'm all for respectful questioning. Mocking and laughing has no place here.

logician

Maybe I'm biased, but I take posts from atheists or non-traditional theists more seriously on these forums than traditional theists, as they tend to have a more rational basis across the board.

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
If atheism brought you peace of mind and enriched your heart, it would be worth something. But if it serves you only as a tool of conflict and disharmony with your fellow human beings, you ought to take some time to reflect on yourself personally...
What if it brings neither peace of mind nor disharmony? Why would any belief systems' impact on your emotional well being, enriched heart and dealings with others have any relevance? What if the evidence just overwhelmingly supports it?

My point is that biological evolution, the alteration of alleles over time, is an indisputable fact. No personal belief system, philosopy or religious stance changes that fact. Believing in a flat earth may bring some peace of mind and enrich some folks hearts, believing that the speed of light is a constant at 299,792,458 metres per second in free space may only bring conflict and make me a disharmonious miserable *******...... but that has absolutely no bearing on its validity.

My atheism is independent of personal feelings, emotions, or any semblance of making me a better person. Nor does it have any relevance in making me a worse person. It's simply a philosophical position based on logic and evidence- neither of which have made me better or worse.

I'd be a miserable ******* whether I was a theist, polytheist or non-theist.
:D

Beaudreaux

If atheism brought you peace of mind and enriched your heart, it would be worth something. But if it serves you only as a tool of conflict and disharmony with your fellow human beings, you ought to take some time to reflect on yourself personally...
Atheism is not something that people cling to for peace and enrichment. It is simply a refusal to ignore the obvious. We don't have a special word for people who don't believe in astrology or bigfoot. No one says things like "If not believing in your horoscope brings you peace of mind and enriches your heart, it would be worth something. But if not believing the position of the stars affects your life serves only as a tool of conflict and disharmony with your fellow human beings....."

Atheists in a nutshell call bullsh*t on ideas presented to us that clearly make no sense.
  • God loves us but will send most of us to eternal torment.
  • God is good but he lets infants die of AIDS.
  • God is three people and one person at the same time.
  • The Bible is a book to pattern your life after, but there are parts that tell us to persecute homosexuals. Etc, etc.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I was wondering.

I take him seriously, of course. I can't imagine why I wouldn't. I don't often participate in threads where I am challenged to prove that God exists, because I don't believe it's something that's possible to do. Having been told on more than a few occasions that I'm naive and gullible for believing in something I can't prove, I see no really good reason to set myself up for ridicule again. I'm sure that most atheists are every bit as convinced that God doesn't exist as I am that He does exist. I personally prefer to debate questions that can (at least theoretically) be resolved -- you know, "Are Mormons Christians?" and that sort of nonsense. :D

Last edited: