• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If an atheist makes a thread..

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
I was wondering.

Whan an atheist makes a thread about God, do you take him/her just as serious as when a theist makes a post? Considering the fact that we make posts about something we don't believe in..

Random

I was wondering. When an atheist makes a thread about God, do you take him/her just as serious as when a theist makes a post?

Depends on how seriously the subject is being treated, and the tone of the post: the vast majority of atheists on the internet are either militant proselytes or complete idiots or both, as one mostly gets "GOD sux, lol!" type posts in many different flavours, guises and combinations, but when you do get a plainly serious thinker with intent to describe his or her position non-confrontationally, it can be very interesting. Young men and women who post as atheists and take childish delight in calling theists "delusional" and thriving on their pet duality are never interesting, or deserved of being taken seriously.

Considering the fact that we make posts about something we don't believe in

If atheism brought you peace of mind and enriched your heart, it would be worth something. But if it serves you only as a tool of conflict and disharmony with your fellow human beings, you ought to take some time to reflect on yourself personally...

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Depends on how seriously the subject is being treated, and the tone of the post: the vast majority of atheists on the internet are either militant proselytes or complete idiots or both, as one mostly gets "GOD sux, lol!" type posts in many different flavours, guises and combinations, but when you do get a plainly serious thinker with intent to describe his or her position non-confrontationally, it can be very interesting. Young men and women who post as atheists and take childish delight in calling theists "delusional" and thriving on their pet duality are never interesting, or deserved of being taken seriously.

If atheism brought you peace of mind and enriched your heart, it would be worth something. But if it serves you only as a tool of conflict and disharmony with your fellow human beings, you ought to take some time to reflect on yourself personally...
Well said.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
God, in my belief, doesn't necessarily have to be a supreme being to someone. A god may just be something s/he cares about more than themselves. I am not saying everything you care about can be considered a god, but if it something you always think about, put it ahead of everything, and things of that nature, then it may be considered a god to some people.

Although I am not an atheist or an agnostic, I do respect their beliefs not to believe in a supreme being. Every one has their own mind to make up.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin

I couldn't have said it better myself!

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
I was wondering.

Whan an atheist makes a thread about God, do you take him/her just as serious as when a theist makes a post? Considering the fact that we make posts about something we don't believe in..
It seems to me that many need some form of public entertainment to vent and tear down the faiths of Christians.Humiliation and insult to me are always in the back of the minds of many atheists
It's as if they just want to show their ability to debate.
It's quickly seen in their threads and how they respond what their motive is.

To answer the question ,I can only take atheists serious after I read a few of their threads and see how they respond to certain topics

M

Majikthise

I was wondering.

It depends entirely on content and attitude. I was a member of an atheist website once and had to stop because 95% of what was posted was useless drivel. I'm sure there are also christian sites that are just as bad though. RF is the only place Ihave seen a good balance. Viva la differance!:D

Smoke

Done here.
Funny ... that's exactly what I think about religion.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Funny ... that's exactly what I think about religion.

I totally agree. In fact, my wife states the part about "If it brings them comfort to believe.." about Christians. With a lot of Atheists I find their threads about God to be more matter of fact, more logic then what you were told to believe.

logician

Speaking of militant posts.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I was wondering.

Absolutely. Both atheist and theist work from a basic idea of what "God" is, and although one person may base his idea on others' words while another base his idea on some experience of his own, nevertheless they both possess an idea.

.lava

Veteran Member
I was wondering.

what makes you ask that? this question could be considered as an insult. i donot mind being insulted though.

i pay more attention to atheist cos i find them very challenging and i like it. thanks to them i try to find better ways to express myself. but when it comes to seriousness, well how can put this in words? i am a serious person:pen: i am the same person whether i talk to theist or atheist. as long as i am just one person then how am i suppose to change 'who i am' from one to another? now you answer that por favor.

gnomon

I was wondering.

In my experience on this forum I tend to put less value in an atheists thread starter about God than a theists.:shrug: Unless it is purely interrogative. Who has used the word in the last two centuries outside of grammar school. Me!

I agree somewhat with Random. Seen too many baits and strawmen.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I amn't an atheist because I found it too requires belief, I think the point about posting is that it puts an idea or point of view out there to be challenged. In my opinion if the point of view cannot be argued through then it requires modification, or abandonment. I would like through discussion to distill a point of view which is a) mine and b)one I can stand over. I suspect however that this is a long way off for me........

Sonic247

I totally agree. In fact, my wife states the part about "If it brings them comfort to believe.." about Christians. With a lot of Atheists I find their threads about God to be more matter of fact, more logic then what you were told to believe.
It's not "what they were told to believe," it's the truth that God has revealed to them. Besides your a cat with a machine gun, what's logical about that? j.k

John_672

Omnitheist
I was wondering.

Whan an atheist makes a thread about God, do you take him/her just as serious as when a theist makes a post? Considering the fact that we make posts about something we don't believe in...

Yes. Two reasons: (1) Everyone has a motive, even people whom agree with you, and (2) Just because a person has a motive, does not mean what they tell you is false.

In fact, I would say that believers should take atheists more seriously; they keep theists intellectually honest and faith that is challenged tends to be stronger.