• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If all religion united today it would be over .

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
That's what worry me about these tonic salesmen. It's as if they have not thought it all out. No, not even "as if". They have not thought this out and are woefully unaware or uncaring about the human condition that flies in the face of the wild-eyed hopes.

To top that off, there is often also a procrastination problem about doing something personal about it today. In Baha'i, for example, they're taught that mankind will become vegetarian in the future ... providing a good excuse not to become one today. That's just one example. If you can't walk the walk (in some small way), then don't talk the talk.

People at the temple where I move dirt for a hobby look at all the dirt I've moved over a summer, and are astonished. They see it as an entire load or two of dirt, whereas I see it as 5 wheelbarrows a day. The molecular theory of social change. If you can't even take that first step, how in heck will you ever complete the journey?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Various Christian denominations would be refusing to hold hands with other Christians, calling out 'They are not Christians!'
I'm not sure whether or not Shia and Sunni Muslims could hold hands.
Bahais might pretend to want to hold hands but then Bahais would say that their religion was the only one needed.

And that's before Chelsea and Tottenham, and Celtic and Rangers supporters can be expected to start hugging each other. There might be some broken ribs right there!

It's a lovely idea, but we are humans....... :)
What is wrong with fanatical football fans?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
To top that off, there is often also a procrastination problem about doing something personal about it today. In Baha'i, for example, they're taught that mankind will become vegetarian in the future ... providing a good excuse not to become one today. That's just one example. If you can't walk the walk (in some small way), then don't talk the talk.

People at the temple where I move dirt for a hobby look at all the dirt I've moved over a summer, and are astonished. They see it as an entire load or two of dirt, whereas I see it as 5 wheelbarrows a day. The molecular theory of social change. If you can't even take that first step, how in heck will you ever complete the journey?
And that, my friend, is why Jordan Peterson's admonition to "Make your bed!" meme has been so influential. It doesn't matter what else you think of Peterson. He is right on that note. Get your house in order first!

Last edited:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
That's what worry me about these tonic salesmen. It's as if they have not thought it all out. No, not even "as if". They have not thought this out and are woefully unaware or uncaring about the human condition that flies in the face of the wild-eyed hopes.

True......... but it's a nicer dream than the Viking one......... yuk! Imagine trying to hold Yorik's hand as he jumps over his longship's bows, axe in hand and with nasty greedy beady look in his eye.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
True......... but it's a nicer dream than the Viking one......... yuk! Imagine trying to hold Yorik's hand as he jumps over his longship's bows, axe in hand and with nasty greedy beady look in his eye.
I hear ya. Mind you, I am descended from a long line of barbarians from way up in the Scottish highlands.... hmmmm....

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
What is wrong with fanatical football fans?
OMG! The nearest big club is 35 miles up the road (Gillingham). That's not far enough! :D

It's the Norse blood that's left in us..... thank the Lord that it's thinned out a bit over the centuries. :p

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I hear ya. Mind you, I am descended from a long line of barbarians from way up in the Scottish highlands.... hmmmm....
Oh you're not! Oh no! You poor wee thing.... a friggin' pict?
Oh...well... I'm not holding hands with you for a start. Why can't you lot wear trousers like normal males?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
In a world where tensions run high and there is an ever changing climate , don't we think it is now time to set out differences to one side , uniting to live has one family ?
It seems rather silly that we argue our views and beliefs when if we all really wanted too , we could all join hands and all have a happy life . What's the point of continuing this seemingly never ending 'fight' of life ? There is no point, can't we all just accept we are all human and have intelligent brains ?

Believe in God by all means but let's try as supposedly intelligent beings , define God one and the same .

If all religious unite, what would be their common foundation?
Each religion defines abstract words differently. So....

GoodbyeDave

In a world where tensions run high and there is an ever changing climate, don't we think it is now time to set our differences to one side, uniting to live as one family? … Believe in God by all means but let's try as supposedly intelligent beings [to] define God [as] one and the same.
There was a time when people didn't fight over religion. Then along came various self-appointed "prophets" saying "I have the one true word and the rest of you are wicked unbelievers." I don't go around insisting that everyone should follow my beliefs, so why do Christians, Muslims, and Baha'i do it?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
And that, my friend, is why Jordan Peterson's admonition to "Make your bed!" meme has been so influential. It doesn't matter what else you think of Peterson. He is right on that note. Get your house in order first!
I had to google Jordan Peterson.

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
There was a time when people didn't fight over religion. Then along came various self-appointed "prophets" saying "I have the one true word and the rest of you are wicked unbelievers." I don't go around insisting that everyone should follow my beliefs, so why do Christians, Muslims, and Baha'i do it?
It is unfortunately one negative side of the Vedic way of thinking. They also feel hate against Tantrics (or Gnostics) because it threatens their narrow and irrational way of thinking. For hundreds of years not more than a mile away from where I live people were tortured and burnt alive by such religious folk just because they refused to be bullied into accepting those narrow beliefs.

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I do not find it at all encouraging that when the OP suggests that we stop arguing our views and beliefs and unite as a people, half of the responses make mention a view or belief.

In my experience, religion affects division, not unity. It is love that unites.
It is not the religions themselves that cause the division and disunity, it is the people IN the religions that cause it. If religious people truly understood and followed what was IN their scriptures, there would be no disunity.

Religion will never go away, so we just need to learn to get along with each other.

“The utterance of God is a lamp, whose light is these words: Ye are the fruits of one tree, and the leaves of one branch. Deal ye one with another with the utmost love and harmony, with friendliness and fellowship. He Who is the Day Star of Truth beareth Me witness! So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth. The one true God, He Who knoweth all things, Himself testifieth to the truth of these words.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 288

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
It is not the religions themselves that cause the division and disunity, it is the people IN the religions that cause it.

Of course. Guns don't shoot people. People shoot people.

Take away guns, there isn't anything left to shoot with, correct?

If religious people truly understood and followed what was IN their scriptures, there would be no disunity.

I disagree. We struggle here to interpret each other's meanings in what is written, and the people that wrote it are right here to consult.

Who is to say what the correct interpretation of scriptures is? Who is to say that the person that wrote it was infallible.

Religion will never go away, so we just need to learn to get along with each other.

“The utterance of God is a lamp, whose light is these words: Ye are the fruits of one tree, and the leaves of one branch. Deal ye one with another with the utmost love and harmony, with friendliness and fellowship. He Who is the Day Star of Truth beareth Me witness! So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth. The one true God, He Who knoweth all things, Himself testifieth to the truth of these words.”

Please, just don't. If you want to engage me in discussion, use your own words. I would appreciate you not quoting scripture to me.

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
It is not the religions themselves that cause the division and disunity, it is the people IN the religions that cause it. If religious people truly understood and followed what was IN their scriptures, there would be no disunity
If you read that type of scriptures well and truly, you will see that many of the authors already carried that hate inside themselves and expressed that in their writings.
If you declare all of those scriptures holy in one dogmatic stroke then you yourself are also guilty of spreading the disunity.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
If you read that type of scriptures well and truly, you will see that many of the authors already carried that hate inside themselves and expressed that in their writings.
If you declare all of those scriptures holy in one dogmatic stroke then you yourself are also guilty of spreading the disunity.
I see your point if you are referring to the Bible....
What to do? o_O

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Of course. Guns don't shoot people. People shoot people.

Take away guns, there isn't anything left to shoot with, correct?
That is true but that won't work with religion because it cannot be taken away from people. Look how difficult it is just to try to get people to give up their guns. What do you think would happen if someone tried to make people give up their religions?
I disagree. We struggle here to interpret each other's meanings in what is written, and the people that wrote it are right here to consult.
I did not mean to imply it was as easy as falling off a log, only that we try to get along in a spirit of unity and harmony, seeing ourselves fruits of one tree, whether we believe in God or a religion or not.
Who is to say what the correct interpretation of scriptures is? Who is to say that the person that wrote it was infallible.
I have my own ideas about that but I will keep them to myself. I generally like to stay out of these religious discussions because they never go anywhere, but sometimes I get sucked in, only to regret it later. :oops: Religion is not really my thing. I just happen to believe what I do because it makes complete rational sense to me.

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
No. If so, we could be satanist as our common foundation. Everyone can be satanist.

What is inheritedly wrong with differences?

Or Muslims. Muslims seem to be bad at living together in the same country with other religions. So you'd be asking people who don't want to get along to unite.

Christians believe Jesus died on the cross, Muslims believe Jesus switched off with Judas. This and other things would appall most Christians if they knew them.

"Just unite and we'd be fine"? More like, if religions would just mind their own business and not try to convert each other, we'd be fine.

james blunt

It is not the religions themselves that cause the division and disunity, it is the people IN the religions that cause it. If religious people truly understood and followed what was IN their scriptures, there would be no disunity.

I believe religions are a side affect of not knowing the answer , so we have God . What is the answer ? In all honestly none of us know .

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I believe religions are a side affect of not knowing the answer , so we have God . What is the answer ? In all honestly none of us know .
I suppose none of us know for sure, and there is not just one answer. Truth has many faces. We can approach it but we will never have all of it.