• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If all paths lead to God, why should I choose your religion ?

pearl

now, whatsoever you want to call yourself..... "Fine", 101G has not problem with that, just be HOLY. Leviticus 19:1 "And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying," Leviticus 19:2 "Speak unto all the congregation of the children of Israel, and say unto them, Ye shall be holy: for I the LORD your God am holy."

Considering all religion is a manmade expression of belief, I suppose one may search for what one considers the highest expression among others.

Pete in Panama

Considering all religion is a manmade expression of belief, I suppose one may search for what one considers the highest expression among others.
Then again there may be a difference between "religion" and "religious organizations". Certainly it sure looks like the organizations are man made. Beyond that it becomes a matter for pondering.

Some would say that mathematics is not an invention but rather a discovery. We should be able to agree that the Big Bang was not man-made, and if the evolution of the early universe followed mathematical relationships and principles then maybe the math was there also. If the math was there then the chemistry? How about the importance of science? Scientific integrity? How about other virtues?

If virtues are innate w/ creation then we got the core of our religious understandings as being timeless also.

Pete in Panama

Well, I do epistemology differently than just blind and see, so we don't agree.
If disagreeing is important to you then be my guest and you can disagree all you want. fwiw, what I was trying (unsuccessfully) to say was that if someone refuses to see and closes his eyes, then he can't see. I understand that you can't see that but it's a free country.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
If disagreeing is important to you then be my guest and you can disagree all you want. fwiw, what I was trying (unsuccessfully) to say was that if someone refuses to see and closes his eyes, then he can't see. I understand that you can't see that but it's a free country.

Well, I am totally blind since I am a strong universal skeptic and I have been dead, since I as a baby jumped from a cliff believing I could fly. That is how blind I am. :p

Gargovic Malkav

If all paths lead to God, why should I choose your religion ?​

Don't.
I don't feel like that special enlightened person anymore when others believe the exact same things as me, or even worse, when someone else gets better at it than I am.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.

To be quite honest, I don't care what religion you practice as long as you don't preach, proselytize, or threaten me with eternal damnation in hell if I don't convert. Likewise, I won't try to convert you by reciting the Wiccan Rede, woo you by telling you that my gods love you and want to save you, or guilt-trip you by telling you that you've transgressed against my gods, which has angered them, and threaten you with eternal damnation in hell if you don't convert.

In other words, I don't expect or demand that you accept my spirituality, and I won't try to convert you by forcing it down your throat. I think other people should be free to practice whatever religion they want, but I will confront them if they continue to try to convert me after I've told them I'm not interested.

101G

First thanks for the reply, second, if it's of God then it's not man-made.
Romans 2:11 "For there is no respect of persons with God." Romans 2:12 "For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law;" Romans 2:13 "(For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified." Romans 2:14 "For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:"READ THAT VERSE AGAIN. Romans 2:15 "Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;)"

and God only required three things, Micah 6:8 "He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

where man-made religions come in at, is adding to these things. or taking away of these things.

be blessed.

101G

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Sri Ramakrishna did.

"God can be realized through all paths. All religions are true. The important thing is to reach the roof. You can reach it by stone stairs or by wooden stairs or by bamboo steps or by a rope. You can also climb up by a bamboo pole." ~ Ramakrishna​
Also I did.
This has always perplexed me. "God," to a Hindu, is a whole different concept from that imagined by Abrahamics. Hindus and Abrahamics live in different spiritual worlds, with different goals, values, moral and social systems. They live in different metaphysical realities.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
This has always perplexed me. "God," to a Hindu, is a whole different concept from that imagined by Abrahamics. Hindus and Abrahamics live in different spiritual worlds, with different goals, values, moral and social systems. They live in different metaphysical realities.
Five big, and core differences for me: karma, reincarnation, no eternal hell, an all pervading God, and all souls get to moksha. I, too, have never ever understood 'all same, all same'. We are very very different, and that comes through loud and clear nearly every time there is an eastern versus western debate on here. It's practically a Venn diagram with little overlap. The only commonalities I can think of, really, is some ethics, and perhaps the fact that we each use buildings to congregate. Then there are those who automatically connote seeing differences as indicating disrespect, when even that couldn't be further from the truth. Thanks.

That's because the point isn't for others to prove it to you, but for you to prove it to yourself. Gotta put in the work.
The point is I have never made a claim a god exists. You people pray and speak of a celestial dictatorship as if it is fact when it is clearly not. In fact, evidence is always the first casualty in religious debates. Most simply skip over it and don't mention it.

You're suggestion I put in an effort to find this path.
Tell me what steps need to taken to expose it.
Let me guess.
The first is I have to be committed to believing some sacred ghost in the sky, pray my knees to the bone, believe in immaculate conception and virgin births and someone can walk on water. Will that be enough?
Did it do it for anyone? I very much doubt it because I believe they believe in belief itself.
It's impossible for any such scenario to prove anything.

I suggest to all believers that their "work" has produced delusions only.

Pete in Panama

Interesting. From what I've been able to gather, Abraham came from a Hindu area.

Add to the mix that there are so many Hindu sect/denominations/subsects that it's difficult to clearly nail down what is a Hindu approach and what is not. One thought I've heard is that the religion of the Celts was more similar to that of the Hindus in that they both seem to emphasize the view of one God w/ many personages (in trees, in the ocean, etc.) in contrast to that of the Romans/Greeks seeing many distinct gods in conflict.