• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If a Child dies at birth does it go to Hell if it was not baptised?

The-G-man

De Facto Atheist
Surely God would spare a child if it had died and not had the chance to be baptised, but i have heard some Christians say they would go to hell, what are some your guys views on this?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Surely God would spare a child if it had died and not had the chance to be baptised, but i have heard some Christians say they would go to hell, what are some your guys views on this?
No child should be baptized until he is old enough to know the difference between right and wrong and to have at least a basic understanding of what Jesus Christ's sacrifice accomplished for him and what Jesus accepts from Him. God is going to send a whole lot fewer people to Hell than most Christians believe He is, and children aren't going to be among them.

logician

There is no Christian hell, or place of eternal punishment, it is not even well biblically supported, and certainly no benevolent god would torture some "soul" eternally.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
How can someone go to either heaven or hell if they don't know what bliss or suffering are yet?

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
My view?

Is that its rediculous for anyone to believe that anyone child or otherwise would go to "hell" for not being baptised.

Love

Dallas

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
All children up to a certain age are immediately allowed Heaven. The cut off age varies depending on each individual but roughly it is 12, 13, 14, or unless that child commits an especially violent act like murder regardless of age. After that age they are no different from anyone else, and all the normal rules apply.

GiantHouseKey

Greetings

I've heard some christians say that children go to purgatorio...Others say they go to hell but they go to a lesser state of hell (Similar to Dante's Inferno).

I don't believe any of it...Although if what some christians believe to be hell (Total seperation from God), then the child would probably not realise it was in hell, or even care. After all, newborn children have experienced very little, so no experience would just be routine.

GhK.

Heneni

Miss Independent
The child comes back to earth in the form of another human body. No way to tell when it happens or where it happens though.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Greetings

I've heard some christians say that children go to purgatorio...Others say they go to hell but they go to a lesser state of hell (Similar to Dante's Inferno).

I don't believe any of it...Although if what some christians believe to be hell (Total seperation from God), then the child would probably not realise it was in hell, or even care. After all, newborn children have experienced very little, so no experience would just be routine.

GhK.

Nothing to compare it to.The only thing they have ever known. I think some "alive" adults could relate.

Love

Dallas

Smoke

Done here.
I think such Christians are idiots. Neither the Bible nor any Church I know of teaches such a thing. I agree that if there is any advantage in baptizing a child, there must be some corresponding disadvantage in not baptizing him, but only the truly special think that disadvantage is eternal damnation.

DavyCrocket2003

Perhaps people baptize their babies so they will automatically be on the records of the church? I don't know. Maybe it's because people think baptism saves you (as in, if you are baptized, you are saved). Maybe they are worried that if they wait until they are old enough to choose for themselves, they will not want to be baptized. But one thing is sure, God doesn't punish or reward someone for the actions (or non-actions) of someone else. I think infant baptism is essentially irrelevant to an individual's spiritual well being and relationship with God. I suppose further down the road, you could 'accept' your baptism. I could see that as kind of making sense.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
No, the child does not go to hell. For defense of my opinion, I use the story of the thief that was being crucified next to Jesus- "Today, you shall be with Me in paradise". That thief had no time to get baptized. I believe that children should wait until they are a certain age to be baptized anyway. Children get a free pass up to that age. :)

Free4all

It's all about the blood
Water baptism has nothing to do with salvation. You do need to be born again and spiritually baptized tho - assuming you are old enough to have died spiritually. A baby is without sin, no need to be re-born (born again) hence goes to Heaven.

FFH

Veteran Member
Jesus spoke very clearly concerning "little children".

"Of such is the kingdom of heaven".

Matthew 19: 14
But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.

Condemning a child to hell only serves to expose the sick mentality of that individual.

The-G-man

De Facto Atheist
Addressed to Christians, so post in the Christian section..?

It is more directed to all the religious, yes in the opening post i said "some Christians" but that is because i have not heard an opinion from other faith groups only 'some christians' and fundies i should add to that too. I think the thread is well suited for here, if you have such a problem with threads being in certain places, you need to look for something better to do.