• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If a 20-ton tree fell on Adam before he sinned, would he have died?

ecman51`

Wasn't:grill: it due to man's sin that God sentenced man to die? I have wrestled with the thoughts about why then that monkey's die, fish die, birds die, grass dies, etc.

And I am confused as to the real truth as to why man dies. I can't imagine some huge tree falling on Adam's head, and the tree just snaps in half on his head, while Adam continues walking on his merry way?

I have many questions regarding the truth of the Bible, and am not sure whether to lay them all out right here, and be done with them, or to start new threads for each one?

Skwim

Veteran Member
A tree wouldn't fall on Adam. Accidents didn't happen in Eden. Nothing untoward happened to a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g there. The whole set collapsed in the third act because god . . . well who knows why god does what he does.

ecman51`

Okay then. What if Adam came to a cliff and jumped off?

You mean to tell me that some force would have been at work in Eden where say Adam was walking along at night, and he went off a cliff, that that could not happen because there could be no accidents? Seriously. Why not? Exactly what would be different then to cause it that an accident could not happen? Like - would you get to 1 inch of the cliff and feel a force field hit you? What?

Skwim

Veteran Member
Okay then. What if Adam came to a cliff and jumped off?

You mean to tell me that some force would have been at work in Eden where say Adam was walking along at night, and he went off a cliff, that that could not happen because there could be no accidents? Seriously. Why not? Exactly what would be different then to cause it that an accident could not happen? Like - would you get to 1 inch of the cliff and feel a force field hit you? What?
*Sigh* Accidents didn't happen in Eden. Nothing untoward happened to a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g there. As for deliberately jumping off a cliff, that wouldn't happen either. How does that work? Well, ya got me. The only thing bad that could happen is if some evil entity came along and fooled Adam into doing something wrong. God left this small window of opportunity for things to go awry because he was bored. An Ozzie and Harriet world can only last for so long until a person starts yearning for a little excitement.

Scott C.

Just one guy
Wasn't:grill: it due to man's sin that God sentenced man to die? I have wrestled with the thoughts about why then that monkey's die, fish die, birds die, grass dies, etc.

And I am confused as to the real truth as to why man dies. I can't imagine some huge tree falling on Adam's head, and the tree just snaps in half on his head, while Adam continues walking on his merry way?

I have many questions regarding the truth of the Bible, and am not sure whether to lay them all out right here, and be done with them, or to start new threads for each one?

Adam and Eve had immortal bodies before the Fall. They were glorious beings of a higher order than fallen, mortal man. The Fall changed all of that.

MissAlice

Adam was a lazy knitwit and Eve was a smart business woman who wanted something more practical than man who sat around the house all day so she connived with the snake..*cough* lawyer.

Midnight Pete

Adam was a lazy knitwit and Eve was a smart business woman who wanted something more practical than man who sat around the house all day so she connived with the snake..*cough* lawyer.

Militant feminism aside, what does this have to do with the OP question?

St Giordano Bruno

If say Adam was invincible and not even a 20 tree falling on him could kill him, what will happen to the Earth when it becomes over populated with all those immortal humans? Because so they may be so tightly packed they could crush each other with more tonnage pressure than that 20 ton tree. The earth could well end up like one giant human garbage compactor

Midnight Pete

If say Adam was invincible and not even a 20 tree falling on him could kill him, what will happen to the Earth when it becomes over populated with all those immortal humans? Because so they may be so tightly packed they could crush each other with more tonnage pressure than that 20 ton tree. The earth could well end up like one giant human garbage compactor

Is your mind full of images like that?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Yep. Genesis doesn't say a thing about Adam and Eve being immortal before the Fall, or about mortality being a result of the Fall.
God cursed man to die after the fall. It doesn't say anything prior to, but it is clear that death was the result of the original sin.

Faithfreedom

i gotta change my avatar
Wasn't it due to man's sin that God sentenced man to die?
God did not "sentenced" man to die. God is holy. Sin cannot come before his presence. When Adam & Eve sinned, God cannot sustain their immortality since they have put themselves beyond God's perview/guardianship. God did warn them of the consequences of eating the forbidden fruit but they chose to disobey.

I have wrestled with the thoughts about why then that monkey's die, fish die, birds die, grass dies, etc.
Would all the above die if Adam & Eve did not eat of the forbidden fruit? Probably not because the bible states that through one man sin and death came into this world.

And I am confused as to the real truth as to why man dies.
No one knows "the real truth" as to why man dies. We are all searching. This is the best i have for now. Truly, man does not have to die. Interesting questions abound. Why can't every cell of our body replicate itself? Why can salamanders regrow their limbs, or a lizard its tail, or a sponge itself? Every cell in our bodies have telomers in their DNA. They keep track of how many times a cell replicate. Every time a cell replicate, its telomers get shorter. When it gets too short, the cell self-destructs - apoptasise. Cancer cells on the other hand, are our very own cells which have their "Stop Replicating" button switched off. Their telomers are also switched off. Cancer cells are immortal. As long as they have food, they keep on replicating. Why can't our normal cells also be like that - except with their replication under control?
That is what the science of Jerriatics (i'm sure i've got the spelling wrong) is all about. Adam & Eve were perfect; so maybe every cell of theirs can replicate forever. So i believe (on faith) that man does not have to die.

I can't imagine some huge tree falling on Adam's head, and the tree just snaps in half on his head, while Adam continues walking on his merry way?
Under God's governance as they were, God would have prevented this, or any other mishaps somehow, i think. But God would not have prevented Adam & Eve from eating the forbidden fruit as they were given the freedom of choice.

Nah, lay it on here, bro!

Tiapan

Grumpy Old Man
If everything that ever lived was still alive today we would be so thick in creatures and plants it would probably reach to the moon. We die to make room for the next generation. End of story

cheers