• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Idolatry and Sacrifices

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Are idolatry and sacrifices a form of quid pro quo, or marketing?

Be a friend
to your friend,
and repay each gift with a gift.
Repay laughter
with laughter,
repay treachery with treachery.

Havamal stanza 42

Quid pro quo is not really accurate, it's less a favor given with the expectation of getting something in return, and more giving out of a gift to a friend of whom I count the Gods as such. If I get given a gift in return so be it, but it is not expected.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
butcher's lobby
Yeah, sacrifice/offerings have their own economics. It helps many people to earn their livelihood.

images
220px-Nepal-animal-cruelty-2.jpg

Last edited:

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Yeah, sacrifice/offerings have their own economics. It helps many people to earn their livelihood.

images
220px-Nepal-animal-cruelty-2.jpg

But it's kinda like snake oil, isn't it?

How do you give to the all something that is part of the all? Or if giving something to a god aren't you stealing something from another god to do that?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

How do you give to the all something that is part of the all? Or if giving something to a god aren't you stealing something from another god to do that?

It’s a gesture of appreciation and recognition of the source. Offering back part of what the deity has provided. “Thank you for giving me this, please take some and have it with me. I’m happy to share back what you gave me”.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
It’s a gesture of appreciation and recognition of the source. Offering back part of what the deity has provided. “Thank you for giving me this, please take some and have it with me. I’m happy to share back what you gave me”.
Thank you is often understood as a gesture of gratitude. But if if a god offered it to you, wouldn't it be possibly more kind to share it with someone who needs it vs someone who obviously doesn't need it, doesn't want it it, and gave it away?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Thank you is often understood as a gesture of gratitude. But if if a god offered it to you, wouldn't it be possibly more kind to share it with someone who needs it vs someone who obviously doesn't need it, doesn't want it it, and gave it away?

Of course. But it doesn’t mean a god doesn’t need or want it. In Hindu pujas we offer food to the gods, receive it blessed and share it with others. It’s called prasad. There are no hard and fast rules.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I suppose, it is like showing the God/Goddess as to what he/she has given to the devotee. If the deity has not given enough, the devotee will not have enough to offer, and perhaps the deity will be forced to give more. It is reverse blackmail.:D

The Sudama Story:
Sudama and Krishna were class fellows. Krishna was a prince and Sudama was from a poor brahmin family. Sudama's wife was tired of his poverty and asked Sudama to go to Krishna to help him. So, Sudama started on his journey to Krishna's capital, Dwarika, with nothing more than a handful of rice. That was all that he could offer. When Krishna came to know of Sudama's arrival, he rushed to the gate of the palace to receive him.

Sudama was brought in seated on a throne and had all eight of Krishna's wives attending to him. Krishna himselfr washed Sudama's feet. Krishna asked Sudama as to what gift his wife has sent for Krishna. Sudma was very reluctant to show what he had in front of ll people. But Krishna snatched the packet and gobbled up the uncooked rice because it was a gift of love. In the evening, Sudama asked Krishna's permission to return. Krishna came to the gate of the palace to bid Sudama bye.

Sudama was very disappointed because Krishna gave him nothing. But when he reached his home, he found a beautiful palace in place of his hut and his wife and children, all dressed in finery attended by scores of servants.

Sudama city was Porbander, the place where Mahatma Gandhi was born. Sudama Temple in Porbandar.
Sudama-Puri-Temple.jpg

sudama and krishna story - Google Search
sudama and krishna film - Google Search

Last edited: