• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Idolatry and Dualism

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Ah. So that's why you have not understood anything that was said. You were responding without understand what I tried to explain about idolatry.

Anyway, its your prerogative. Cheers.
the essence is not the forms. the forms change, they rise, they fall, they expand, and they deflate the action doesn't change. it doesn't cease. it doesn't begin. with unity thus there is no contrast like there is in forms, dualism. ultimately the only thing we can know is through self. that unity is an action and duality is the contrast in vibrations of action; which is to be.

The wise man by studying nature enters into the unity through its variety, and realizes the personality of God by sacrificing his own. 'He who knows himself knows Allah' (Sayings of Mohammed). 'The Kingdom of God is within you' (Bible). 'Self-knowledge is the real wisdom' (Vedanta).

Last edited:

firedragon

Veteran Member
the essence is not the forms. the forms change, they rise, they fall, they expand, and they deflate the action doesn't change. it doesn't cease. it doesn't begin. with unity thus there is no contrast like there is in forms, dualism. ultimately the only thing we can know is through self. that unity is an action and duality is the contrast in vibrations of action; which is to be.

The wise man by studying nature enters into the unity through its variety, and realizes the personality of God by sacrificing his own. 'He who knows himself knows Allah' (Sayings of Mohammed). 'The Kingdom of God is within you' (Bible). 'Self-knowledge is the real wisdom' (Vedanta).

Salaam.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Hmm. After some contemplation, I think you are spot on with your statement "perhaps not to you". Haha. I didnt expect that. Truth is also subjective. So let me say that was excellent.

Nevertheless, when YOU say dualism, what do you mean? Which dualism are you referring to? Do you discuss mind-body dualism and monism, Indian-hindu-religious-buddhist type of dualism or property/predicate dualism?

I am asking you because you began with idolatry (which also you should define if possible because idolatry is subjective).

Cheers.

What I mean by dualism is the presence of the I/other dichotomy...that everything observed is distinct from the observer.

For idolatry to exist, there must be a distinct thing that is separate from or is not the observer for the observer to idolize.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
so this triggered an idea on the tree of good and evil as knowledge vs the tree of life. almost as if it might have been a warning against idolatry. could knowledge be a form of idolatry; especially if its used to subjugate and enslave others?

I don't think knowledge, in and of itself, can be a form of idolatry unless one applies the concepts of good or evil to said knowledge.

firedragon

Veteran Member
What I mean by dualism is the presence of the I/other dichotomy...that everything observed is distinct from the observer.

For idolatry to exist, there must be a distinct thing that is separate from or is not the observer for the observer to idolize.

What is idolatry?

RoaringSilence

so this triggered an idea on the tree of good and evil as knowledge vs the tree of life. almost as if it might have been a warning against idolatry. could knowledge be a form of idolatry; especially if its used to subjugate and enslave others?

some people learn with Lego blocks ( they need idols to connect ) some people learn by self discipline ( they follow karma/bhakti yog ) some people learn by use of fear ( those who are unable to control anger lust greed egotism attachment ). some understand the language of love and self sacrifice. no one is inferior or superior as its a phase that all went thru or are still going thru.

knowledge is an evolving tool , there are scriptures that are timeless which mention how times would evolve .

Last edited: