• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ideology is Fantasy

Audie

Veteran Member
No, no, no! You have to smell the coffee before you can smell the roses. Because what if there are no roses because you didn't get your lazy *** up to water them because you didn't wake up to smell the coffee first? And how can you jump off the bridge if you didn't wake your lazy *** up to smell the coffee so you can go build the bridge? You always have to wake up and smell the coffee first. You either put on the sunglasses or you will eat the trash can. I do not want to eat the trash can. I don't understand why some prefer to eat the trash can. There is nothing good in the trash can.

Ok. Starbux, then rose, but, do you burn the brridge before or after you jump?

Do Gucci or Chanel sunnies work better for trash can detection?

Last edited:

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
do you burn the brridge before or after you jump?
You need to see the need for the bridge before you can build it to jump off of it, so it is always Starbucks first. If you are asleep at the wheel then you can't see that there is no bridge over that chasm and you might find yourself in a ditch.
Do Gucvi or Chanel sunnies work better for trash can detection?
You need a special brand of sunglasses like this commercial tell us.

The Reverend Bob

Seeing the world as it really is would be a very fatal flaw as it would entail us rejecting all of our civilising myths in favour of whatever the 'reality' is for bags of sentient molecules fumbling around a purposeless universe doing things which don't matter in the slightest and will turn out to be completely futile in the long run.
Why would giving up our myths and illusions be fatal? People could easily survive with a sort no-frills universe.

dfnj

Whether the ideology is political, cultural or religious/spiritual it is not something based on reality or on the here and now but on what people believe things should be or how things should be or are. Often ideology is used as a protective filter that saves us from seeing the vagaries of reality and give us the false comfort of an ordered universe. Even when ideologies accept the reality of the chaotic and unpredictable it is often looked at as something to be remedied or as something evil and sometimes as something to surrender to. Rather than putting on the glasses and seeing the world just as it is, we would rather eat the trash can because why not? We eat the trash everyday but in our ideological frame of mind we see the trash as filet mignon because the ubiquitous "they" "the authorities" and "the experts" tell us that it is filet mignon and "they know better than us" because after all "it is written...".

Let us take the ideology "democracy", a vague term that no one seems to be able to define precisely, people mention concepts like "freedom" (freedom from what?) or rights (often limited because too much "freedom" is a bad thing apparently) and "liberty". The ideology "democracy" like all other ideologies is nothing more than a baby's pacifier, given to you to suck on in order to keep you quiet when you want mother's milk but lacking in the nourishments you need. It is a promise to make you feel alright or give you meaning but that is all on the surface. You dine at the Cafe Ideology and you will find yourself munching on a Nothing Burger with a side of Word Salad while you await your turn to try the new and improved Bull**** Buffet.

I kind of think you are wrong. Ideology is just a fancy word for "story". Stories give meaning to our lives. It's just that some stories are used to manipulate people into thinking they are thinking for themselves when they are actually promoting a hidden agenda.

The most amazing thing about modern propaganda as stated in the referenced video is people genuine think they are thinking for themselves. This is very sophisticated and scary. The only way to defend yourself from being manipulated by the propaganda is to be aware of the latest techniques of manipulated the public.

It turns out we ALL think exactly the same way:

Most of the people are played like a fiddle by the powers than run the government. And mostly the result favors the interests of the smallest minorities.

The Reverend Bob

Stories give meaning to our lives.
False narratives in bad faith give us nothing but a false sense of meaning. And it isn't just propaganda that is the danger, it is the narcotic effect that our narrative have on us. They make us feel good and they numb us to what is real and that is dangerous. It isn't just the government that play a role in creating these narratives, the individual themself is largely responsible for the bull they choose to buy. Ideology is a consumer's market.

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
Whether it can be considered a non-physical idea without a scientific bearing that benefits us. But since you have not studied altruism I think it is bet for you to supply the example.
Justice. Without it, people suffer. Legitimate governments include justice within their operation.

The Reverend Bob

Justice. Without it, people suffer. Legitimate governments include justice within their operation.
Justice can also be construed as an evolutionary strategy rather than just being idealistic, I think it is related to altruism which as been proven to be hardwired into us.

Why would giving up our myths and illusions be fatal? People could easily survive with a sort no-frills universe.

Then why has nobody survived that way if it is so easy?

Humans rely on others for survival, and those who build better coalitions win. Societies require metaphorical truths to function (things which are not true but benefit us to act as if they were true). These include things like religions, human rights, nationalism, etc.

Last edited:

The Reverend Bob

Societies require metaphorical truths to function (things which are not true but benefit us to act as if they were true). These include things like religions, human rights, nationalism, etc.
There are plenty of species that build social units that function well without "metaphorical truths" , what is a "metaphorical truth" in the first place?

Audie

Veteran Member
Then why has nobody survived that way if it is so easy?

Humans rely on others for survival, and those who build better coalitions win. Societies require metaphorical truths to function (things which are not true but benefit us to act as if they were true). These include things like religions, human rights, nationalism, etc.

That is kind of a weird thing to say. So much
so as to qualify as NER. (not even wrong)

The Reverend Bob

Well, honestly, and how could "nationalism" even
be true of false?
Don't even get me started on "nationalism", if there is a "god" or idol I hate the most it would be "nationalism". "Nationalism" is nothing but a parasite like a pimp is a parasite.

Audie

Veteran Member
Don't even get me started on "nationalism", if there is a "god" or idol I hate the most it would be "nationalism". "Nationalism" is nothing but a parasite like a pimp is a parasite.

Hmm, kind of an odd take on it.
Seems to me that nationalism is tribalism
writ large, and, tribalism is hard wired into
human nature.

The topic tho was if it is "true" or, "false"
not its habits, life history, status as a
religion, and influence on mankind.