• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Identify Yourself

TheGreaterGame

I wanted to get an idea of all the names and avitars of the Orthodox Christians on this web-site:

I define Protestant Orthodox as:

1. they believe in the infallablity of the bible
2. the only way to salvation by grace through faith in Jesus Christ
3. Jesus was the eternal son of God
4. Jesus was the God-Man
5. Jesus was born of the virgin Mary
6. that you confess that God is one, but he is three persons:
God the Father
God the Son
God the Holy Spirit

So where are you? Or better yet who are you? So many label themselves as an Evangelical Christian yet they do not subscribe to those tennants.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
I believe all those things. But I mostly identify myself as a chocolate covered smurf...:D

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
I believe all those things. But I mostly identify myself as a chocolate covered smurf...:D
You believe in the inerrancy of Scripture and sola fide? Do my eyes deceive me?

I'd just like to point out the Protestant Orthodox (with the capital 'o') is an oxymoron. I am, to my knowledge the only Orthodox Christian on this site, though there are plenty who are orthodox, and my faith is irreconcilable with Protestantism.

James

BruceDLimber

Greetings!

Not sure what you're asking!

"Orthodox" generally means "Eastern Orthodox" (related also to Greek and Russian Orthodox), which is Catholic although not Roman Catholic and is definitely not considered Protestant!

And if you mean something like "mainstream Protestant, then it isn't customary to use the term "Orthodox."

So you might want to clarify a bit.

Peace,

Bruce

Wisdom_Seeker

Speaker of my Truth
the problem with this things is that they are painfully wrong & ugly interpretations
of something right & beautiful

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I wanted to get an idea of all the names and avitars of the Orthodox Christians on this web-site:

4. Jesus was the God-Man
God the Father
God the Son
God the Holy Spirit

So where are you? Or better yet who are you? So many label themselves as an Evangelical Christian yet they do not subscribe to those tennants.

Sounds more like the criteria for a Southern Baptist to me...

TheGreaterGame

I'd just like to point out the Protestant Orthodox (with the capital 'o') is an oxymoron. I am, to my knowledge the only Orthodox Christian on this site, though there are plenty who are orthodox, and my faith is irreconcilable with Protestantism.

James

How is your faith irroconcilable with Protestantism?

TheGreaterGame

Greetings!

Not sure what you're asking!

"Orthodox" generally means "Eastern Orthodox" (related also to Greek and Russian Orthodox), which is Catholic although not Roman Catholic and is definitely not considered Protestant!

And if you mean something like "mainstream Protestant, then it isn't customary to use the term "Orthodox."

So you might want to clarify a bit.

Peace,

Bruce

I mean orthodox in the sense that what you belive is in accordance with biblical doctrine. Orthdox in the sense that what you belive is historical christian teachings.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
How is your faith irroconcilable with Protestantism?
Mainly the solas, plus such ideas as the invisible Church, if you're asking for those ideas common to Protestants in general. There are plenty of others though which separate us from many - Original Sin, Predestination, symbolic view of the Eucharist etc. And the next time I see a genuine Protestant (as opposed to an Anglican) who can honestly affirm the teachings of the 7th Ecumenical Council will be the first.

I mean orthodox in the sense that what you belive is in accordance with biblical doctrine. Orthdox in the sense that what you belive is historical christian teachings.
Yeah, but you don't. I don't doubt that you think you do but, for instance, you have sola fide and sola scriptura in your list. Neither of those are beliefs adhered to by any Christians prior to the Reformation, so your idea of 'historical' only really goes back 500 years. For comparison, the Liturgy we use every Sunday was written over a thousand years prior to the formulation of those doctrines, and that's the newest one we use.

James

BruceDLimber

Greetings!

The problem with this formulation is that "historical Christian teachings" aren't necessarily "in accordance with Biblical doctrine!" I'm sure you can think of examples.

Anyway, if accordance with Biblical doctrine is the touchstone, then IME I, as a Baha'i, am eminently "orthodox" in that sense of the word! :)

Best regards,

Bruce

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
That would be the Othodox Church -- as in Eastern Church. Their beliefs are in accordance with Biblical doctrine and they have always taught historical teaching.

"Orthodox" and "Protestant" are mutually-exclusive terms.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you

4. Jesus was the God-Man
God the Father
God the Son
God the Holy Spirit

I missed this one ... I believe all these things ..I'm right here :preach:

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
. And the next time I see a genuine Protestant (as opposed to an Anglican) who can honestly affirm the teachings of the 7th Ecumenical Council will be the first.

Lets take the test then:

Canon 1: The clergy must observe "the holy canons," which include the Apostolic, those of the six previous Ecumenical Councils, those of the particular synods which have been published at other synods, and those of the Fathers.
Probably a different canon otherwise I agree
Canon 2: Candidates for a bishop's orders must know the Psalter by heart and must have read thoroughly, not cursorily, all the sacred Scriptures.
If Psalter is the book of Pslams then I agree
Canon 3 condemns the appointment of bishops, priests, and deacons by secular princes.
I absolutely agree with this one.

Canon 4: Bishops are not to demand money of their clergy: any bishop who through covetousness deprives one of his clergy is himself deposed.
I agree

Canon 5 is directed against those who boast of having obtained church preferment with money, and recalls the Thirtieth Apostolic Canon and the canons of Chalcedon against those who buy preferment with money.
I dont know these other canons so i'm non commital
Canon 6: Provincial synods are to be held annually.
Not if they are under hierarchical authority.

Canon 7: Relics are to be placed in all churches: no church is to be consecrated without relics.
:no: Disagree

Canon 8 prescribes precautions to be taken against feigned converts from Judaism.
:shrug:

Canon 9: All writings against the venerable images are to be surrendered, to be shut up with other heretical books.
I disagree

Canon 10: Against clerics who leave their own dioceses without permission, and become private chaplains to great personages.
I believe a church does not need a cental authority to decide these things
Canon 11: Every church and every monastery must have its own œconomus.
We do have treasurers in protestant churches.

Canon 12: Against bishops or abbots who convey church property to temporal lords.
Agree.

Canon 13: Episcopal residences, monasteries and other ecclesiastical buildings converted to profane uses are to be restored their rightful ownership.
only if they are brought back fairly

Canon 14: Tonsured persons not ordained lectors must not read the Epistle or Gospel in the ambo.
Seems like a strange practice

Canon 15: Against pluralities of benefices.
I agree

Canon 16: The clergy must not wear sumptuous apparel.
I agree

Canon 17: Monks are not to leave their monasteries and begin building other houses of prayer without being provided with the means to finish the same.
Not applicable

Canon 18: Women are not to dwell in bishops' houses or in monasteries of men.
Fair enough.

Canon 19: Superiors of churches and monasteries are not to demand money of those who enter the clerical or monastic state. But the dowry brought by a novice to a religious house is to be retained by that house if the novice leaves it without any fault on the part of the superior.
Not applicable

Not applicable
Canon 21: A monk or nun may not leave one convent for another.
Not applicable
Canon 22: Among the laity, persons of opposite sexes may eat together, provided they give thanks and behave with decorum. But among religious persons, those of opposite sexes may eat together only in the presence of several God-fearing men and women, except on a journey when necessity compels.
Sounds a bit strict.

Uggh I failed miserably.

Jeremiah

4. Jesus was the God-Man
God the Father
God the Son
God the Holy Spirit

7. None of the above

athanasius

4. Jesus was the God-Man
God the Father
God the Son
God the Holy Spirit

]
As a devout Roman Catholic I believe all those things too! I just also believe those things and more! :)

God bless you!

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
No...I've had enough conversations with Protestants to understand what they mean when they use these words. For example:

We do not have to condemn the formula of justification by faith alone, provided this phrase is properly understood. Whether a Catholic will reject the idea of justification by faith alone depends on what sense the term faith is being used. If it is being used to refer to unformed faith then a Catholic rejects the idea of justification by faith alone. But, if the termfaith is being used to refer to faith formed by charity then the Catholic does not have to condemn the idea of justification by faith alone. In fact, in traditional works of Catholic theology, one regularly encounters the statement that formed faith is justifying faith. If one has formed faith, one is justified. Period.

Now, I'm not sure if this is how the OP meant it, but as words can take upon whatever meaning we give them, I did just that in this situation. We may not even agree, but as I am not sure what flavor of Protestantism he subscribes to, I just attached my own meaning. :) I did the same with the rest.

athanasius

No...I've had enough conversations with Protestants to understand what they mean when they use these words. For example:

We do not have to condemn the formula of justification by faith alone, provided this phrase is properly understood. Whether a Catholic will reject the idea of justification by faith alone depends on what sense the term faith is being used. If it is being used to refer to unformed faith then a Catholic rejects the idea of justification by faith alone. But, if the termfaith is being used to refer to faith formed by charity then the Catholic does not have to condemn the idea of justification by faith alone. In fact, in traditional works of Catholic theology, one regularly encounters the statement that formed faith is justifying faith. If one has formed faith, one is justified. Period.

Now, I'm not sure if this is how the OP meant it, but as words can take upon whatever meaning we give them, I did just that in this situation. We may not even agree, but as I am not sure what flavor of Protestantism he subscribes to, I just attached my own meaning. :) I did the same with the rest.
Excellent point Victor!:yes: My thoughts exactly. And in reguards to James, if I remember correctly the post didn't say Faith alone it said "saved by Gods grace through faith." Either which way it was meant you are right Victor! Awesome post! Amen!:clap