• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ideals of religions

Tmac

No, I respect the law enforcement; police officers and such. (I respect the law too, but that's not this example.) I respect that the job they have is excessively difficult at times, and that in matters of civil unrest they have degrees of authority; authority which, when applicable, I respect. As outlined, I do not love them.

No, it was not, and it's this kind of over-cheapening of a phrase or notion that leads to it becoming an absolutely useless term. Facts, and the truths about my own emotions in regards to others, was what drove me to make my response. Not "love" of anyone, thing, or ideological notion.

:)

zahra67

it seems there are religions that do not teach ''love your neighbour as yourself''. then what is ideal to these religions if not global peace?
the message of islam is peace, prosperity, salvation, happiness, guidance, kindness, generosity and mercy for mankind.
God created us to attain his infinite mercy, proximity and bliss of paradise.
God bless you!

Tmac

I think Buddhism as a whole has the highest in that teaching. Christianity (say catholics vs potestants; protestants vs non christians) put people in groups based on what and how and how they come into their belief.

Muslim have a those who believe vs those who do not

Jews have an invisible consensus of who are the actual Jews (religious decendents) as opposed to non religious and converts. (Edit. Good. I wasnt wrong. See above post.)

So love thy neighbor has strings attached depending on the person and their religious beliefs.

Aka: I assume most religions teach it in and of itself. Many with resrvations.

And yet if you were to search youtube you can find Buddhist monks actually physically fighting with each other.

Tmac

That's not specific to Buddhism. Anyone can love one another. What did you mean by your post about the fighting buddhist?

The thread was/is, and you exalted Buddhism and I thought it appropriate to show that even they don't practice what they preach, it was something to see, those saffron robes torn and bloodied.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The thread was/is, and you exalted Buddhism and I thought it appropriate to show that even they don't practice what they preach, it was something to see, those saffron robes torn and bloodied.

I don't see it as "other buddhists did something wrong so Buddhism must teach something wrong." That sounds like putting the christian biased outlook on non-christian religions. I hear very often that Catholics are wrong because some of their priest messed up, for lack of better words. It's totally inappropriate in both cases.

Training of the mind is not dependent on other people monk, nun, laity, sentiment being, or not. I put it on high because it teaches how to end rebirth and die in peace not be attached to this life and hope for a next/uncertainty as certainty. Those Buddhists who fought will stay in samsara until they right their actions. The Buddha didn't teach fighting.

You'd have to start with the source not the people who are still learning to follow it. (People do practice what they preach. Not everyone is at the same level of understanding. If that be the case, we'd all be buddhas).

Tmac

I don't see it as "other buddhists did something wrong so Buddhism must teach something wrong." That sounds like putting the christian biased outlook on non-christian religions. I hear very often that Catholics are wrong because some of their priest messed up, for lack of better words. It's totally inappropriate in both cases.

Training of the mind is not dependent on other people monk, nun, laity, sentiment being, or not. I put it on high because it teaches how to end rebirth and die in peace not be attached to this life and hope for a next/uncertainty as certainty. Those Buddhists who fought will stay in samsara until they right their actions. The Buddha didn't teach fighting.

You'd have to start with the source not the people who are still learning to follow it. (People do practice what they preach. Not everyone is at the same level of understanding. If that be the case, we'd all be buddhas).

As Lilly Tomlin used to say on "Laugh-in", never mind.

atanu

Premium Member
The ideal state in my religion is to be able to sit without any concerns whatsoever and study Torah.

This interested me on first reading but somehow I lost track of it, could not remember the thread. Anyway, this post is almost what my spiritual teacher would teach.

May I request you to say a little about the goal of studying Torah, undistracted by other concerns?

Tumah

Veteran Member
This interested me on first reading but somehow I lost track of it, could not remember the thread. Anyway, this post is almost what my spiritual teacher would teach.

May I request you to say a little about the goal of studying Torah, undistracted by other concerns?
Studying Torah (the Written and Oral) is the main way we attach and connect ourselves to G-d and grow spiritually. The Messianic Era is meant to be a time without any extraneous concerns in order to facilitate our ability to study Torah and accomplish this to the greatest extent possible.

In the words of Maimonides (or at least a translation of a translation of his words):

For these reasons, all Israel, [in particular,] their prophets and their Sages, have yearned for the Messianic age so they can rest from the [oppression of] the gentile kingdoms who do not allow them to occupy themselves with Torah and mitzvot properly. They will find rest and increase their knowledge in order to merit the World to Come.
And in another place:

The Sages and the prophets did not yearn for the Messianic era in order to have dominion over the entire world, to rule over the gentiles, to be exalted by the nations, or to eat, drink, and celebrate. Rather, they desired to be free to involve themselves in Torah and wisdom without any pressures or disturbances, so that they would merit the World to Come...

atanu

Premium Member
Studying Torah (the Written and Oral) is the main way we attach and connect ourselves to G-d and grow spiritually. The Messianic Era is meant to be a time without any extraneous concerns in order to facilitate our ability to study Torah and accomplish this to the greatest extent possible.

In the words of Maimonides (or at least a translation of a translation of his words):

For these reasons, all Israel, [in particular,] their prophets and their Sages, have yearned for the Messianic age so they can rest from the [oppression of] the gentile kingdoms who do not allow them to occupy themselves with Torah and mitzvot properly. They will find rest and increase their knowledge in order to merit the World to Come.
And in another place:

The Sages and the prophets did not yearn for the Messianic era in order to have dominion over the entire world, to rule over the gentiles, to be exalted by the nations, or to eat, drink, and celebrate. Rather, they desired to be free to involve themselves in Torah and wisdom without any pressures or disturbances, so that they would merit the World to Come...

Thank you. That is just excellent.

arthra

Baha'i
it seems there are religions that do not teach ''love your neighbour as yourself''. then what is ideal to these religions if not global peace?

The Baha'i Faith has had the ideal of global peace for well over a hundred years. Baha'u'llah addressed the kings and rulers of His day suggesting they form a World Parliament and an International Court of Arbitration to settle disputes... this was around 1867. When Abdul-Baha travelled to the US in 1912 He attended a Peace Conference at Lake Mohonk in New York and was an invited speaker. Following WWI the Baha'is were hopeful that the League of Nations would be able to insure world peace. They also promoted Esperanto as a universal auxiliary language. After WWII Baha'is set up an Office of the International Baha'i Community to act as an NGO to advise and consult with UN members to build a peaceful planet.

Read:
The Promise of World Peace | What Bahá’ís Believe

Reactions: syo