• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ideals of religions

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
it seems there are religions that do not teach ''love your neighbour as yourself''. then what is ideal to these religions if not global peace?

I think Buddhism as a whole has the highest in that teaching. Christianity (say catholics vs potestants; protestants vs non christians) put people in groups based on what and how and how they come into their belief.

Muslim have a those who believe vs those who do not

Jews have an invisible consensus of who are the actual Jews (religious decendents) as opposed to non religious and converts. (Edit. Good. I wasnt wrong. See above post.)

So love thy neighbor has strings attached depending on the person and their religious beliefs.

Aka: I assume most religions teach it in and of itself. Many with resrvations.

Reactions: syo

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Satanism doesn't if you can even call that a religion!!
You're wrong as usual.

There are seven fundamental tenets.
  • One should strive to act with compassion and empathy towards all creatures in accordance with reason.
  • The struggle for justice is an ongoing and necessary pursuit that should prevail over laws and institutions.
  • One’s body is inviolable, subject to one’s own will alone.
  • The freedoms of others should be respected, including the freedom to offend. To willfully and unjustly encroach upon the freedoms of another is to forgo your own.
  • Beliefs should conform to our best scientific understanding of the world. We should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit our beliefs.
  • People are fallible. If we make a mistake, we should do our best to rectify it and resolve any harm that may have been caused.
  • Every tenet is a guiding principle designed to inspire nobility in action and thought. The spirit of compassion, wisdom, and justice should always prevail over the written or spoken word
That took less than five minutes for me to find.

Last edited:

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
In Heathenry, there are principles called the "Nine Noble Virtues" that are fairly common. All my books are currently packed, so I can't quote you what is written in books like "Our Troth". However the NNV are as follows:
  1. Courage
  2. Truth
  3. Honour
  4. Fidelity
  5. Discipline
  6. Hospitality
  7. Self Reliance
  8. Industriousness
  9. Perseverance
Then there are further virtues named the "Nine Charges"
  1. To maintain candour and fidelity in love and devotion to the tried friend.
  2. Never to make wrongsome oath.
  3. To deal not hardly with the humble and the lowly.
  4. To remember the respect that is due to great age.
  5. To suffer no evil to go unremedied and to fight against the enemies of Faith, Folk and Family.
  6. To succour the friendless but to put no faith in the pledged word of a stranger people.
  7. If I hear the fool's word of a drunken man I will strive not.
  8. To give kind heed to the dead.
  9. To abide by the enactments of lawful authority and to bear with courage the decrees of the Norns.

arthra

Baha'i
it seems there are religions that do not teach ''love your neighbour as yourself''. then what is ideal to these religions if not global peace?

Baha'is are interested in "global peace"...

"In order to facilitate complete understanding between all people, a universal auxiliary language will be adopted and in the schools of the future two languages will be taught -- the mother tongue and this international auxiliary tongue which will be either one of the existing language or a new language made up of words from all the languages -- the matter is to be determined by a confederation met for the purpose which shall represent all tribes and nations. This international tongue will be used in the work of the parliament of man -- a supreme tribunal of the world which will be permanently established in order to arbitrate international questions. The members of this arbitral court of justice will be representatives of all the countries..."

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Divine Philosophy, p. 83

The Baha'i International Community (BIC) is also a Non Governmental Org. that consults with UN member nations:

This BIC is based on the principles that the equality of all the human beings is a necessary condition for prosperous and sustainable world. In fact, the promotion of human rights is considered as a key element of the work done by BIC’s United Nations Office.

Bahá’í International Community

Last edited:

Liu

You're wrong as usual.

There are seven fundamental tenets.
  • One should strive to act with compassion and empathy towards all creatures in accordance with reason.
  • The struggle for justice is an ongoing and necessary pursuit that should prevail over laws and institutions.
  • One’s body is inviolable, subject to one’s own will alone.
  • The freedoms of others should be respected, including the freedom to offend. To willfully and unjustly encroach upon the freedoms of another is to forgo your own.
  • Beliefs should conform to our best scientific understanding of the world. We should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit our beliefs.
  • People are fallible. If we make a mistake, we should do our best to rectify it and resolve any harm that may have been caused.
  • Every tenet is a guiding principle designed to inspire nobility in action and thought. The spirit of compassion, wisdom, and justice should always prevail over the written or spoken word
That took less than five minutes for me to find.
Thanks for defending us, but, as a matter of fact, those are the tenets of The Satanic Temple, which actually quite a number of Satanists don't consider to be real Satanists.
Well, I consider them to be one kind of Satanism, but certainly not the most typical one, and my own morality (as explained in this thread on page 1) is pretty different. (while I'd support most of their tenets de facto, I would never consider them moral rules)

Tmac

Does your religion teach love your neighbor??

If any of them do they need to revamp their techniques because the teachers of the opposite of love your neighbor and its close cousin indifference seem to be doing a better job.

syo

I have to ask @syo - can you elaborate further on why you see the philosophy of "love you neighbor as you love yourself" as the equivalent of promoting the idea of global peace? Those sound like two different things to me.
if we love our neighbour as ourselves then there is no harming, which means no wars, so peace is guaranteed. love leads to peace.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic

I am given to understand that every major religion has some form of Golden Rule. I consider that, when properly stated, to be the ONLY moral code. And religions bury that under massive piles extraneous behavior (i.e. going to church on Sunday, tithing) meant to keep the faithful, faithful.
So, you may ask, how is the GR properly stated? I'll tell you:
Morality is honoring the EQUAL rights of ALL to their life, liberty, property and self-defense, to be free from violation through force or fraud. That's it. All else is individually determined virtue. Morality is the only thing that should be legislated. And the root of ALL evil is a moral/legal double standard.

That's not it in a nutshell, that's IT, period, as long as you're talking about able-bodied adults.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
if we love our neighbour as ourselves then there is no harming, which means no wars, so peace is guaranteed. love leads to peace.

Four potential derails for this assumption train:

1. A significant number of humans either have no love for themselves, or the love they have for themselves is dysfunctional and not what most humans would call "good." I'd even wager that a typical human has less love for themselves than they do for other things. Self-criticism and self-depreciation are powerful and very prevalent.
  2. "Love" means a great many things and is expressed in a great many ways. It would be unwise to grant that someone's expression of love is necessarily what you would call "good" or "peaceful." Sometimes, adoration means giving something a swift kick in the rear or a slap across the face.
  3. It is beyond unwise to assume that others want to be loved in the way we love ourselves. On top of understanding what "love" means differently, different humans have different needs and different ideologies too. As a basic example, it would be foolish to assume that just because you are comfortable with your sexuality, that everyone else shares it.
  4. Human ideologies often fall flat when extended to the greater-than-human world. As humans are one resident of this planet of many, failure to consider that greater world is a failure of the precept entirely (at least to my mind). Greater-than-human aspects of our world aren't going to cooperate with this vision. The tornado will not care about human speeches of no harm.
The question becomes, then, how does one reconcile the above? Can it be reconciled? I'm not a fan of simplistic, one-liner ethical precepts largely because they fall apart under even a cursory examination. It's probably why I gravitate away from traditions that espouse them. You asked the question earlier - what does a path aspire to if not simplistic precepts such as this? Well, in my case, it's understanding that reality is a beastly complex thing and not attempting to package it into simple sayings and ideals at all. I can't say this is necessarily the approach of all Druids - I am quite certain it isn't. Still, as a tradition without dogmatic rules and such, there's more freedom to be deeply philosophical and explore all the angles. :D

Reactions: syo

Tmac

Sounds like you are confused about either the definition of 'respect' or the definition of 'love.' The two are not synonymous.

Its clear to me that you are more concerned with who can **** further that understanding. So this will be my only reply concerning this. No one has even implied that the two are synonymous, except you, if you were to reread your statement you would see that "Love is not required for respect" is to what I was responding. And I still stand behind my thought, your understanding of love is too shallow.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
if you were to reread your statement you would see that "Love is not required for respect" is to what I was responding. And I still stand behind my thought, your understanding of love is too shallow.
Let's break this down with an example, to show why it's wrong.

I respect local law enforcement. I do not love them, in any of the four types of love.
  1. I do not love them romantically. (Eros)
  2. I do not love them as family. (Storge)
  3. I do not love them as friends. (Philia)
  4. I do not love them in a "selfless" manner. (Agape)

Tmac

Let's break this down with an example, to show why it's wrong.

I respect local law enforcement. I do not love them, in any of the four types of love.
  1. I do not love them romantically. (Eros)
  2. I do not love them as family. (Storge)
  3. I do not love them as friends. (Philia)
  4. I do not love them in a "selfless" manner. (Agape)

What you respect is the law, not sure what you mean by local law enforcement, are they the people upholding the law, well then I would think you would only respect them proportionally to how they upheld the law and their love for the law will determine how they do their job. Love is an animator, its what moves us. Love, whether you believe it or not was behind you making your response.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
What you respect is the law, not sure what you mean by local law enforcement
No, I respect the law enforcement; police officers and such. (I respect the law too, but that's not this example.) I respect that the job they have is excessively difficult at times, and that in matters of civil unrest they have degrees of authority; authority which, when applicable, I respect. As outlined, I do not love them.

Love, whether you believe it or not was behind you making your response.
No, it was not, and it's this kind of over-cheapening of a phrase or notion that leads to it becoming an absolutely useless term. Facts, and the truths about my own emotions in regards to others, was what drove me to make my response. Not "love" of anyone, thing, or ideological notion.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Its clear to me that you are more concerned with who can **** further that understanding.

While my concern appears to be quite clear to you, I'm afraid I have no idea what you are trying to communicate here.

So this will be my only reply concerning this.

Awww. And I was so looking forward to you sharing your wisdom on distance ****ing.

No one has even implied that the two are synonymous, except you, if you were to reread your statement you would see that "Love is not required for respect" is to what I was responding.

To which you responded (quite arrogantly, I might add) that that person's religion doesn't have a full understanding of love. Therefore, you implied that love is a part of respect, and thereby implying the two are synonymous.

And I still stand behind my thought, your understanding of love is too shallow.

*smiles* If you thought this, you never communicated it on this message board.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
What you respect is the law, not sure what you mean by local law enforcement, are they the people upholding the law, well then I would think you would only respect them proportionally to how they upheld the law and their love for the law will determine how they do their job. Love is an animator, its what moves us. Love, whether you believe it or not was behind you making your response.

After reading this, I'm beginning to doubt you have a working understanding of what love is, because you appear to be confusing 'love' with 'motivation.'